CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on July 30, 2020, 02:24:00 AM

Title: 7/30/2020
Post by: CigarBanter on July 30, 2020, 02:24:00 AM
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 05:27:55 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 05:42:51 AM
Morning, all. Happy Little Friday.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 05:47:31 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 05:53:08 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
My boys had a game of their own so I was forced to follow on my phone. I only saw the score updates.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 06:25:15 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
My boys had a game of their own so I was forced to follow on my phone. I only saw the score updates.
But I was happy with the final result.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 06:57:52 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
My boys had a game of their own so I was forced to follow on my phone. I only saw the score updates.
But I was happy with the final result.
It's nice to have some form of normalcy.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 07:05:33 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
My boys had a game of their own so I was forced to follow on my phone. I only saw the score updates.
But I was happy with the final result.
It's nice to have some form of normalcy.
And NFL training camps have opened up. Let's see how long they can keep them open.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:37:07 AM
Morning Rick, Dave and Tony.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 07:37:23 AM
good morning Tony, Rick, and Dave.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:37:39 AM
Looks like Jam was so good, we'll carry on for a second day!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:38:06 AM
Morning FloriDean.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 07:38:19 AM
12 minutes and counting until our next mission to Mars lifts off:

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 07:38:40 AM
Good morning. Hey Mr. Mayor. Yankees continue their dominance over Baltimore.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 07:39:21 AM
good morning Tony, Rick, and Dave.
... and Dave.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:41:15 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On July 30, 1945, the Portland class heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis, having just delivered components of the atomic bomb to Tinian in the Mariana Islands, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine; only 317 out of nearly 1,200 men survived.

On this date:
In 1619, the first representative assembly in America convened in Jamestown in the Virginia Colony.
In 1792, the French national anthem “La Marseillaise” (lah mar-seh-YEHZ’), by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, was first sung in Paris by troops arriving from Marseille.

In 1844, the New York Yacht Club was founded.
In 1908, the first round-the-world automobile race, which had begun in New York in February, ended in Paris with the drivers of the American car, a Thomas Flyer, declared the winners over teams from Germany and Italy.

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).
In 1960, the recently founded American Football League saw its first pre-season game, in which the Boston Patriots defeated the host Buffalo Bills 28-7.

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed a measure creating Medicare, which began operating the following year.
In 1975, former Teamsters union president Jimmy Hoffa disappeared in suburban Detroit; although presumed dead, his remains have never been found.
In 1980, Israel’s Knesset passed a law reaffirming all of Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state.

In 2001, Robert Mueller (MUHL’-ur), President George W. Bush’s choice to head the FBI, promised the Senate Judiciary Committee that if confirmed, he would move forcefully to fix problems at the agency. (Mueller became FBI director on Sept. 4, 2001, a week before the 9/11 attacks.)
In 2003, President George W. Bush took personal responsibility for the first time for using discredited intelligence in his State of the Union address, but predicted he would be vindicated for going to war against Iraq.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:42:10 AM
Ten years ago: President Barack Obama toured Chrysler and General Motors assembly plants, where he offered an upbeat assessment of the U.S. auto industry a year after the big government bailouts. A 12-year-old Florida girl was seriously injured when she plunged about 100 feet to the ground from an amusement park free-fall ride in Lake Delton, Wisconsin. (Nets and air bags that were supposed to catch Teagan Marti (TEE’-gehn MAHR’-tee) had not been deployed.)

Five years ago: The Associated Press released the results of a five-month independent study it had commissioned which found that athletes competing in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro would be swimming and boating in waters so rife with sewage bacteria and viruses, they faced the risk of becoming seriously ill. The Afghan Taliban confirmed the death of longtime leader Mullah Mohammad Omar and appointed his successor, Mullah Akhtar Mansoor. Singer Lynn Anderson, 67, whose strong, husky voice carried her to the top of the charts with “(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden,” died in Nashville, Tennessee.

One year ago: At a debate in Detroit, the “Medicare for All” proposal from the leading Democratic progressive candidates came under fire from moderates who warned that “wish list economics” would hurt the party’s chances for winning the White House in 2020. President Donald Trump marked the 400th anniversary of American democracy at an event in Jamestown, Virginia; it was boycotted by Black Virginia lawmakers angered by Trump’s continued disparagement of veteran Black congressman Elijah Cummings. Hall of Fame football middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti, who helped lead the Miami Dolphins to their unbeaten record in 1972, died at the age of 78.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:49:29 AM
Today’s Birthdays:

Former Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig is 86.
Blues musician Buddy Guy is 84.
Movie director Peter Bogdanovich is 81.
Feminist activist Eleanor Smeal is 81.
Former U.S. Rep. Patricia Schroeder is 80.
Singer Paul Anka is 79.
Jazz musician David Sanborn is 75.
Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is 73.
Actor William Atherton is 73.
Actor Jean Reno (zhahn rih-NOH’) is 72.
Blues singer-musician Otis Taylor is 72.
Actor Frank Stallone is 70.
Actor Ken Olin is 66.
Actress Delta Burke is 64.
Law professor Anita Hill is 64.
Singer-songwriter Kate Bush is 62.
Country singer Neal McCoy is 62.
Actor Richard Burgi is 62.
Movie director Richard Linklater is 60.
Actor Laurence Fishburne is 59.
Actress Lisa Kudrow is 57.
Bluegrass musician Danny Roberts (The Grascals) is 57.
Country musician Dwayne O’Brien is 57.
Actress Vivica A. Fox is 56.
Actor Terry Crews is 52.
Actor Simon Baker is 51.
Actor Donnie Keshawarz is 51.
Movie director Christopher Nolan is 50.
Actor Tom Green is 49.
Rock musician Brad Hargreaves (Third Eye Blind) is 49.
Actress Christine Taylor is 49.
Actor-comedian Dean Edwards is 47.
Actress Hilary Swank is 46.
Olympic gold medal beach volleyball player Misty May-Treanor is 43.
Actress Jaime Pressly is 43.
Alt-country singer-musician Seth Avett (AY’-veht) is 40.
Actress April Bowlby is 40.
Soccer player Hope Solo is 39.
Actress Yvonne Strahovski is 38.
Actor Martin Starr is 38.
Actress Gina Rodriguez is 36.
Actor Nico Tortorella is 32.
Actress Joey King is 21.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:50:41 AM
Cartoon of the Day
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:51:23 AM
Glad Tony flipped the Today in History page today.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 07:59:19 AM
This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 08:02:20 AM
Good morning, FloridaDean and ClemsonDave.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 08:03:11 AM
This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds
Maybe he was wearing someone else's mask?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 08:03:33 AM
Glad Tony flipped the Today in History page today.
Me too.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 08:14:53 AM
This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds
This all makes sense to me.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 08:54:55 AM

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1960, the recently founded American Football League saw its first pre-season game, in which the Boston Patriots defeated the host Buffalo Bills 28-7...

Some things never change.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 08:56:49 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:05:30 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 09:10:40 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 09:21:56 AM
emptied and cleaned hottub. La Palina Classis as it fills.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 09:26:05 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
people came to this country to escape religious prosecution only to learn one nation under God. although I don't see many leaving this country for a better place to live elsewhere. not much you can't do in this country compared to others. even though freedom isn't free, there's a few generations who know not what that means.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:30:12 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:30:59 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
people came to this country to escape religious prosecution only to learn one nation under God. although I don't see many leaving this country for a better place to live elsewhere. not much you can't do in this country compared to others. even though freedom isn't free, there's a few generations who know not what that means.
Plus, even if they wanted to leave right now, they can't, because there's nowhere we can go. ;)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:32:26 AM
[...]

In fact, I have a friend from high school that lives in Ireland, and even though she's been there for years, she can't go anywhere else in Europe, because she's still technically an American.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 09:34:08 AM
[...]

I feel unwanted and unappreciated!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 09:36:06 AM
[...]

so long as you update us on the news and Bean's rappers you'll always have a place here. 🤣
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:40:10 AM
[...]

CNS
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 09:40:35 AM
[...]

They just want to avoid us like the plague, which has taken on a whole new meaning this year. :D
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 10:08:48 AM
[...]

Amén.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 10:37:09 AM
[...]

Ireland or Northern Ireland?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 10:39:37 AM
[...]

I'm like 95% sure it's Northern Ireland.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 10:42:01 AM
Gurkha's up on the Jam (it's only fitting!).  Speaking of Gurkha's, CI offering a tactical cigar case and backpack with the featured Gurkha purchase.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 10:42:28 AM
Herman Cain has died due to #FakeRona.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 10:50:29 AM
Perusing the CI new cigar listings....

La Palina Regal Reserve Connecticut

Man O' War Dark Aged Maduro

La Palina Regal Reserve Oscuro

Camacho Liberty Series 2020  6 x 60 box pressed...I remember when they all used to be 11/18s....

RoMa Craft Baka  (Cameroon)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 10:53:17 AM
La Palina Black and Bronze BOGO 5ers at Atlantic this week.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 10:54:51 AM
CI Legends by Drew Estate
10 Toro / $39.99
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:02:12 AM
Bunch of new Fratello's as well it seems; Camo Blu Maduro, Camo Rosso Habano and Camo Verde Connecticut.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:02:55 AM
With a little bit of black Sharpie, these labels could be interesting.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:05:38 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be contradicted or violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you.

Also, while it didn't become the national motto until 1956, it first started appearing on the money in 1864, and originates, of course, in the fourth verse of the national anthem, ca 1814.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:07:30 AM
EPC now making a cigar for Villager.  Who hasn't he worked with now?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:08:21 AM
Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you.

Also, while it didn't become the national motto until 1956, it first started appearing on the money in 1864, and originates, of course, in the fourth verse of the national anthem, ca 1814.
Mr. Raz bursts forth as a font of historical info.
Good morning sir!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:09:35 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:21:12 AM
[...]

I just get annoyed when people make pat pronouncements about things when they haven't looked at the history or legal precedent or whatever.  My fellow Christians have historically been really bad about doing this, but progressive Democrats have caught right up to them in the past three decades.

"In God We Trust" didn't "replace" E Pluribus Unum.  That was never officially a motto of the United States.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 11:25:12 AM
[...]

I loves me a good edumaction. A lot of things happened in 1814, that doesn't make them correct. So now, GFY.

Also, you should know that I was kneeling while reading your post.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 11:26:55 AM
[...]

In other words, ClemsonDave posted #FakeNews ?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:27:47 AM
[...]

Why is that?  The boss lady giving you the once over?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:30:34 AM
[...]

But did it not physically replace it on currency?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:31:57 AM
CI Legends by Drew Estate
10 Toro / $39.99

Oliva 10er Sampler
10 asst./37.50
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:32:13 AM
[...]

Why?  Were you nauseated or something?

No, being historical doesn't make things correct.  But when the SCOTUS says something is constitutional, it is.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:33:14 AM
[...]

Unless Trumpf disagrees... ;)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:33:28 AM
[...]

No.  Both appear on currency.  Except when the Mint screws up and omits both, triggering hysteria among religious people.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 11:36:11 AM
[...]

Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 11:37:08 AM
[...]

Or people against abortion.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:41:13 AM
[...]

What taxes do you think churches don't pay?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 11:42:46 AM
[...]

All the ones the IRS has exempted them from?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 11:42:53 AM
[...]

Just do as the NWO say. OBEY! No GOD No Wall No USA at all. Or better do as NWA Fight the Power!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 11:44:27 AM
[...]

Better to just get rid of the IRS
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:46:01 AM
[...]

Or people who support gun control.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 11:46:30 AM
[...]

Sure...and they are?

It's okay, general categories will do.  I won't make you be overly specific.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 11:50:41 AM
[...]

But ecstasy in Numismatics circles.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 11:53:10 AM
[...]

In general - federal, state, local income and property.

By the way, LOLing at "won't make you be overly specific".
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 11:56:12 AM
did someone say 'ecstasy'?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 12:10:07 PM
[...]

"When in the course of human events, people REALLY don't want standard background checks..." ;)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 12:10:32 PM
did someone say 'ecstasy'?
A fine way to change topics.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 12:30:31 PM
[...]

In general, Federal is a categorical distinguisher, not a type of tax.  Types of federal tax would include "income taxes," "property taxes," "payroll taxes," "capital gains taxes," "estate taxes," and a few other lesser-known and infrequently used types.  There is no federal sales tax, nor property tax.

The only federal tax that Churches are exempt from is income tax, and the exemption doesn't cover income unrelated to direct church ministry.  Basically, what goes in the offering plate or gets provided to the church via a fundraiser is exempt from federal tax.  Income from unrelated business is not exempt.  Churches are not exempt from any other type of federal taxes, with the exception that official clergy meeting some specific criteria get to skip some of the payroll taxes (Social Security), but they also don't get the benefit of those either.  So that's a wash.

In this regard, churches are no different than any other charitable organization, or any other non-profit entity.  So...if you're going to tax churches, then you also have to tax the NAACP, the United Way, March of Dimes, MDA, yadda, yadda, yadda.  And the reason that we don't tax those entities is twofold - they provide a service to the community, and there isn't a lot of income left over to tax.  It'll cost more to impose and collect the taxes than will be gained.

State property tax exemptions only go so far as well, and if you don't think those taxes are fair then you're just not a progressive.  Imposing property taxes on churches fails to recognize that they are non-profit organizations.  So it is a frequent case that the property the church sits on is more valuable than the income-producing capability of the organization (remember, churches can only produce income so many ways before running into Unrelated Business taxation).  So property taxes on churches would inherently be regressive in nature.

So...what great national windfall are you expecting to collect by taxing charitable non-profits?

Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 12:37:13 PM
@Mr. Bean....Don't know if you saw my post last night, but welcome to the ACC!  Not only are we going to play our regularly scheduled game, many are projecting a rematch in the ACC championship game.  We may get to play twice!!! ;D
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 12:40:34 PM
[...]

Well, if terminating a human heartbeat is a constitutionally protected private decision of a mother, then what kind of gun and how many I buy is nunya as well.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
Speaking of which, I have my eye on a Springfield 1911 Ronin...
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:00:52 PM
[...]

Yes, federal is a categorical distinguisher. You DID ask for general categories, did you not?

And while churches provide a service to the community, I would counter that meth dealers do as well, but I wouldn't consider either of them good services.

Finally, I don't remember saying we would be solving the debt crisis or anything here. Merely that they, sports leagues like the NFL and huge corporations that take in billions a year in profit should be forced to pay taxes, like the rest of us.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 01:00:53 PM
ecstasy
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:01:44 PM
Speaking of which, I have my eye on a Springfield 1911 Ronin...
I think using a gun to kill a fetus is double jeopardy, right? I don't know, I never saw that Tommy Lee Jones movie.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 01:03:07 PM
TAKING IT GENTLY

You are so beautiful
and desirable; creating
a raging fire in my loins.
I fight the urge to rush
and pounce on you,
but I cannot. You deserve
respect, understanding, and patience,
You are a real goddess
not some object to be pounced
on and left high and dry
as your lover satisfies his selfishness.
I listen to you, hear your
preferences and desires to
be fucked in special ways;
just hearing how you want
to share is such a turn-on.
It is not fair to either
of us to rush down the
erotic highway and not get
the TOTAL pleasure from
our journey---shall we begin
our slow and gentle journey?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:08:45 PM
TAKING IT GENTLY

You are so beautiful
and desirable; creating
a raging fire in my loins.
I fight the urge to rush
and pounce on you,
but I cannot. You deserve
respect, understanding, and patience,
You are a real goddess
not some object to be pounced
on and left high and dry
as your lover satisfies his selfishness.
I listen to you, hear your
preferences and desires to
be fucked in special ways;
just hearing how you want
to share is such a turn-on.
It is not fair to either
of us to rush down the
erotic highway and not get
the TOTAL pleasure from
our journey---shall we begin
our slow and gentle journey?
Tony - still want to avoid politics? :D
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 01:11:18 PM
[...]

Property tax, federal income tax, state income tax, sales tax...

Please correct me.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 01:15:14 PM
[...]

pretty sure those Meth dealers are tax exempt as well.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 30, 2020, 01:19:35 PM
going to replace the spikes in my golf shoes and load my clubs in the truck.
bringing a Paragas Black and coffee with me, then hit the hottub.
see you all tomorrow.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:23:09 PM
going to replace the spikes in my golf shoes and load my clubs in the truck.
bringing a Paragas Black and coffee with me, then hit the hottub.
see you all tomorrow.
Later, Deano.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:23:23 PM
[...]

Careful what you wish for...
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 01:23:46 PM
[...]

One problem at a time. ;)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 01:24:37 PM
As per Mr. Oy's suggestion, HVC 500 Anniv.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 01:25:00 PM
ecstasy
LSD
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 01:32:27 PM
[...]

Oh shit. I'm gonna have to go back and do some catching up. You bunch of post whores!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 01:58:55 PM

Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
What taxes do you think churches don't pay?

So...what great national windfall are you expecting to collect by taxing charitable non-profits?

Well that's a very different argument than, "What taxes do you think churches don't pay?" I think the point was that not all churches are truly all that charitable. A few bad apples have been discovered along the way and made me sceptical. Again, no different than other "charities".
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 02:00:05 PM
As per Mr. Oy's suggestion, HVC 500 Anniv.
I'm quite curious about that one myself.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 02:03:38 PM

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1960, the recently founded American Football League saw its first pre-season game, in which the Boston Patriots defeated the host Buffalo Bills 28-7...

Some things never change.
Hey I saw that
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 30, 2020, 02:17:13 PM
@Mr. Bean....Don't know if you saw my post last night, but welcome to the ACC!  Not only are we going to play our regularly scheduled game, many are projecting a rematch in the ACC championship game.  We may get to play twice!!! ;D
Indeed.  Beyond TL being back at QB I haven't look into prospects for either team.  What is the ACC doing about fan attendance?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 30, 2020, 02:19:21 PM
Hazzuh, non-charitables!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 02:21:02 PM
Hazzuh, non-charitables!
Later, Dave.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Speaking of which, I have my eye on a Springfield 1911 Ronin...
Haven't had the chance to touch one. But Springfield does nice work. I love my Springfield Loaded.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 03:02:44 PM
going to replace the spikes in my golf shoes and load my clubs in the truck.
bringing a Paragas Black and coffee with me, then hit the hottub.
see you all tomorrow.
Later Dean.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 03:03:28 PM
@Mr. Bean....Don't know if you saw my post last night, but welcome to the ACC!  Not only are we going to play our regularly scheduled game, many are projecting a rematch in the ACC championship game.  We may get to play twice!!! ;D
Indeed.  Beyond TL being back at QB I haven't look into prospects for either team.  What is the ACC doing about fan attendance?
TBD, but TV is good.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 03:04:36 PM
As per Mr. Oy's suggestion, HVC 500 Anniv.
I'm quite curious about that one myself.
It's a solid.  Dare I say Cubanesque?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
@Mr. Bean....Don't know if you saw my post last night, but welcome to the ACC!  Not only are we going to play our regularly scheduled game, many are projecting a rematch in the ACC championship game.  We may get to play twice!!! ;D
Indeed.  Beyond TL being back at QB I haven't look into prospects for either team.  What is the ACC doing about fan attendance?
Lets start thinking about that wager.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 03:06:51 PM
CI stuck on Graycliffs it seems.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 03:10:01 PM

[...]

It's an inarguable fact that the NFL and huge corporations DO pay taxes, and I know you're too intelligent to try and make a serious case they don't. So the NFL and corporations are a separate discussion, because the only rational position you could assert is that they aren't paying enough.

Regardless of your personal feelings about whether non-profits provide good services, the fact is we don't tax (most of) the income or property of non-profits for the simple reason that they do not exist to enrich anyone, and cannot enrich anyone. The reason they exist, and the reason they continue to exist, is that they provide services, to enough people (who do not share your personal sentiments) to stay afloat. And because of that we don't burden the organizations. Any non-profit who doesn't provide services valued by enough people will not be able to stay afloat, and will go away, because they can't exist on tax exemption alone. So your personal feelings don't really factor into the equation.  We let charitable organizations do their thing and we leave them alone.

Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 03:27:15 PM

[...]

Generally speaking, corporations, be they for-profit or non-profit, aren't taxed on income at the Federal level. That particular screwing is only applied to us suckers who work for a paycheck. Corporations are taxed on profit - essentially, revenue minus expenses. There are some complexities to it, but generally speaking, that's how it works. And since non-profits, again, generally speaking, don't have any profits, they aren't taxed.

There are some states, like my own, that impose B&O taxes on business income, but because non-profits don't really participate in the commercial commons - there's no "value add" - they are mostly exempted.

Sales tax? There's no federal sales tax. And no categorical exemption of which I'm aware in any state from state and local sales taxes. Exemptions from sales taxes are contextual - what is taxed and who has to collect varies from state to state based on what is being sold and who is selling it. So churches may be exempted from tax on some types of sales, but not most for the simple reason that most sales fall into the category of unrelated business and are therefore subject to tax.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 30, 2020, 03:41:01 PM

Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
What taxes do you think churches don't pay?

So...what great national windfall are you expecting to collect by taxing charitable non-profits?

Well that's a very different argument than, "What taxes do you think churches don't pay?" I think the point was that not all churches are truly all that charitable. A few bad apples have been discovered along the way and made me sceptical. Again, no different than other "charities".
Being a "bad apple" is a surefire way to lose tax exemption. The exemption is not a blanket exemption. If the IRS finds a non-profit breaking the rules, even inadvertently, taxes are assessed, and payable. Period.

And there are some real complexities. For example, my church leases  some square footage of our parking lot to a company that operates a drive-through coffee stand on it. If we didn't have a mortgage on the property, oddly enough, we could exempt that space from property taxes. But because we have a mortgage, we have to pay property taxes on it. And because renting some of our parking lot to a for-profit company is "unrelated business," the rent income is not exempted from taxes. Regardless of the fact that the church doesn't turn a profit overall, that particular effort is always considered "profitable," so we have to pay taxes on it.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 30, 2020, 03:51:51 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 04:06:37 PM
Oliva Saison Maduro
Toro  5/$17.50
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 04:08:41 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
;D
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 04:09:56 PM
Travelling to NJ tomorrow and will be semi incommunicado for a while after.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 04:51:44 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 04:52:31 PM
Travelling to NJ tomorrow and will be semi incommunicado for a while after.
I don't know how you do it. I hope you have a safe trip.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 04:58:13 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
That's awfully vague. There must be dozens.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 30, 2020, 05:40:47 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?
I think that's what Dean calls it.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 30, 2020, 05:41:15 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
That's awfully vague. There must be dozens.
Indeed.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 06:02:49 PM
As per Mr. Oy's suggestion, HVC 500 Anniv.
I'm quite curious about that one myself.
It's a solid.  Dare I say Cubanesque?
well I don’t like them now 😂
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 06:06:48 PM
Good afternoon still enjoying my hunt for the great Connecticut.
Griffins were my go to, but enjoying the Crema and have the luminosa on the way. I also enjoyed the Floe de Selva US release very much, so let me know if you see a deal.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 06:10:05 PM
Peppers 🌶 are looking good!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 08:04:21 PM
Good afternoon still enjoying my hunt for the great Connecticut.
Griffins were my go to, but enjoying the Crema and have the luminosa on the way. I also enjoyed the Floe de Selva US release very much, so let me know if you see a deal.
Have you seen my Connecticut selections under calendar events on this page? Some good ones in there
Just ones opinion. The best Connecticut is the one you like.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on July 30, 2020, 08:12:47 PM
Good afternoon still enjoying my hunt for the great Connecticut.
Griffins were my go to, but enjoying the Crema and have the luminosa on the way. I also enjoyed the Floe de Selva US release very much, so let me know if you see a deal.
Have you seen my Connecticut selections under calendar events on this page? Some good ones in there
Just ones opinion. The best Connecticut is the one you like.
true. Enjoyed them then thought they were paper bags now I crave them in my rotation.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 08:54:55 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?
I think that's what Dean calls it.
No, Dean just likes it when the word nipple is used.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 30, 2020, 08:58:02 PM
Travelling to NJ tomorrow and will be semi incommunicado for a while after.
I don't know how you do it. I hope you have a safe trip.
Dont know, I just do it.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 09:05:21 PM
Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/2442334783fd443044b2a6da1dd1690c.jpg)
What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?
I think that's what Dean calls it.
No, Dean just likes it when the word nipple is used.
Who doesn't?
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 09:06:41 PM
Yanks are in a rain delay.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 30, 2020, 09:09:36 PM
Yanks are in a rain delay.
Complete game though if they don't resume.
Thanks to Luke!
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 09:10:16 PM
Yanks are in a rain delay.
Complete game though if they don't resume.
Thanks to Luke!
I was thinking the same.
Title: Re: 7/30/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 30, 2020, 11:53:40 PM
Yanks are in a rain delay.
Complete game though if they don't resume.
Thanks to Luke!
I was thinking the same.
Well that was a fun one.