Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

  • Administrator
3/16/2016
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:12 AM »

Any hump day deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 02:12:35 AM »

Good Morning and happy humpday!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 02:19:26 AM »

James Madison 1751 - Fourth president of the United States.
- More information here. - Today in U.S. President History

George S. Ohm 1787 - Physicist and mathematician

Rosa Bonheur 1822 - Artist, sculptor

Andrew S. Hallidie 1836 - Originated the cable railway transportation system in San Francisco

Maxim Gorky 1868 - Writer known as Alexei Maximovich Peshkov

Conrad Nagel 1897 - Actor

Henny Youngman 1906 - Comedian, violinist

Josef Mengele 1911 - Known as the "the Angel of Death" during World War II

Leo McKern 1920 - Actor

Jerry Lewis 1926 - Actor, comedian

Reuben "Ruby" Braff 1927 - Trumpeter, cornetist

Tommy Flanagan 1930 - Pianist, composer

Betty Johnson 1932 - Singer

R. Walter Cunningham 1932 - Astronaut (Apollo 7)

Bernardo Bertolucci 1940 - Director

Chuck Woolery 1941 - Game show host ("Love Connection", "Lingo")

Jerry Jeff Walker 1942 - Singer, songwriter

Robin Williams 1947 - Country singer

Erik Estrada 1949 - Actor ("CHiPs")

Victor Garber 1949 - Actor

Kate Nelligan 1951 - Actress

Ray Benson 1951 - Country singer (Asleep at the Wheel)

Hollis Stacy 1954 - Golfer

Nancy Wilson 1954 - Musician (Heart)

Isabelle Huppert 1955 - Actress

Ozzie Newsome 1956 - Football player

Flava Flav 1959 - Rapper (Public Enemy)

Jimmy DeGrasso 1963 - Musician (Megadeth)

Patty Griffin 1964 - Folk singer

Rodney Peete 1966 - Football player

Lauren Graham 1967 - Actress ("Gilmore Girls," "Parenthood")

Judah Friedlander 1969 - Actor ("30 Rock")

Alan Tudyk 1971 - Actor ("Firefly")

Brooke Burns 1978 - Actress ("Baywatch"), game show host ("Dog Eat Dog")

Wolfgang Van Halen 1991 - Musician (Van Halen)

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:17 AM »

Hillary and the Donald rolling along.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:37:13 AM »

Today is Wednesday, March 16, the 76th day of 2016. There are 290 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On March 16, 1926, rocket science pioneer Robert H. Goddard successfully tested the first liquid-fueled rocket at his Aunt Effie's farm in Auburn, Massachusetts.

On this date:

In 1751, James Madison, fourth president of the United States, was born in Port Conway, Virginia.

In 1802, President Thomas Jefferson signed a measure authorizing the establishment of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York.

In 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel "The Scarlet Letter" was first published.

In 1935, Adolf Hitler decided to break the military terms set by the Treaty of Versailles (vehr-SY') by ordering the rearming of Germany.

In 1945, during World War II, American forces declared they had secured Iwo Jima, although pockets of Japanese resistance remained.

In 1966, Gemini 8 was launched on a mission to rendezvous and dock with Agena, a target vehicle in orbit; although the docking was successful, the joined vehicles began spinning, forcing Gemini to disconnect and abort the flight.

In 1968, during the Vietnam War, the My Lai (mee ly) Massacre of Vietnamese civilians was carried out by U.S. Army troops; estimates of the death toll vary between 347 and 504.

In 1974, the Grand Ole Opry House opened in Nashville with a concert attended by President Richard Nixon and his wife, Pat.

In 1984, William Buckley, the CIA station chief in Beirut, was kidnapped by Hezbollah militants (he was tortured by his captors and killed in 1985).

In 1985, Terry Anderson, chief Middle East correspondent for The Associated Press, was abducted in Beirut; he was released in December 1991.

In 1991, a plane carrying seven members of country singer Reba McEntire's band and her tour manager crashed into Otay Mountain in southern California, killing all on board. U.S. skaters Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan swept the World Figure Skating Championships in Munich, Germany.

In 2003, American activist Rachel Corrie, 23, was crushed to death by an Israeli military bulldozer while trying to block demolition of a Palestinian home in the Gaza Strip.

Ten years ago: Iraq's new parliament met briefly for the first time; lawmakers took the oath but did no business and adjourned after just 40 minutes, unable to agree on a speaker, let alone a prime minister. The Senate narrowly passed a $2.8 trillion election-year budget blueprint.

Five years ago: Pakistan abruptly freed CIA contractor Raymond Allen Davis, who had shot and killed two men in a gunfight in Lahore, after a deal was reached to pay $2.34 million to the men's families.

One year ago: Los Angeles prosecutors filed a first-degree murder charge against real estate heir Robert Durst in the killing of his friend, Susan Berman, who had acted as Durst's spokeswoman after his wife, Kathleen, disappeared in 1982.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 03:37:38 AM »

Thought for Today: "No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." — From "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, American author (1804-1864).

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:32 AM »

Some Mark Twain on politics:

When politics enter into municipal government, nothing resulting therefrom in the way of crimes and infamies is then incredible. It actually enables one to accept and believe the impossible...
- Letter to Jules Hart, 17 December 1901

Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
- "The Character of Man," inserted in autobiographical dictation 23 January 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 (University of California Press, 2010)

To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals.
- Autobiographical dictation, 24 January 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 (University of California Press, 2010)

I was an ardent Hayes man, but that was natural, for I was pretty young at the time, I have since convinced myself that the political opinions of a nation are of next to no value, in any case, but that what little rag of value they posess is to be found among the old, rather than among the young.
- Autobiographical dictation, 4 February 1907. Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 2 (University of California Press 2013)

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Autobiographical dictation, 12 September 1907. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 3 (University of California Press, 2015)

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
- Autobiographical dictation, 10 July 1908. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 3 (University of California Press, 2015)

...one of the first achievements of the legislature was to institute a ten-thousand-dollar agricultural fair to show off forty dollars' worth of pumpkins in -- however, the Territorial legislature was usually spoken of as the "asylum".
- Roughing It

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 03:46:36 AM »

Mark Twain on big cigars:

When I was a youth I used to take all kinds of pledges, and do my best to keep them, but I never could, because I didn't strike at the root of the habit--the desire; I generally broke down within the month. Once I tried limiting a habit. That worked tolerably well for a while. I pledged myself to smoke but one cigar a day. I kept the cigar waiting until bedtime, then I had a luxurious time with it. But desire persecuted me every day and all day long; so, within the week I found myself hunting for larger cigars than I had been used to smoke; then larger ones still, and still larger ones. Within the fortnight I was getting cigars made for me--on a yet larger pattern. They still grew and grew in size. Within the month my cigar had grown to such proportions that I could have used it as a crutch. It now seemed to me that a one-cigar limit was no real protection to a person, so I knocked my pledge on the head and resumed my liberty.
- Following the Equator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »

Gotta find me some Crown Jewel cigars!

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
- Letter to Dr. Edward C. Rushmore regarding Crown Jewels cigars, 9 November 1906 (published in The World with a Fence Around It: Tuxedo Park - The Early Days by George Mead Rushmore, p.192.)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »

Morning, Frenchie.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »

Bonjour Dave!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »

Bonjour Dave!
Today's Joe really looks like he's enjoying his cigar, perhaps a tad too much.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 05:09:27 AM »

Bonjour Dave!
Today's Joe really looks like he's enjoying his cigar, perhaps a tad too much.
Wow, really. Must be a Bueso

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 05:11:07 AM »

good morning Dave, Dave, and Scott.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:43 AM »

it's golf day with temps heading to 90°.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16