Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 01:21:43 AM »

Hey GK.  You smoking one or just like the ad copy?
Logged

glassken

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 01:23:47 AM »

Logged

glassken

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 01:24:33 AM »

Hey GK.  You smoking one or just like the ad copy?
Never had one, and yes I like the ad. Sounds good!
Logged

glassken

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 01:31:55 AM »

Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA

That and other ones like it.  Best drummer in the game since the 90s, maybe even earlier (not that there are any quality recordings of himf floating around from the 80s, maybe some old Majesty demos).  As much as he is crazy technical and can play impossible dotted rhythms and everything, he is still a drummer with great feel.

Most of his work with Dream Theater doesn't really show that side of him, of course, but try out Transatlantic or any of his other side/tribute projects-he still gets crazy at times, but only at times.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »

Hey GK.  You smoking one or just like the ad copy?
Never had one, and yes I like the ad. Sounds good!

They are on the radar.  I'm hoping for a closeout price before they're all sold.  Sounds interesting and I enjoy the Joya stuff.  Some reviews I've read make it sound like a slightly more sophisticated Antano, though, and I'm not sure if it would be the worth the price premium.  Don't know Atlantics VIP pricing, but the $10+ regular price steers me away.
Logged

glassken

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 01:47:16 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA

That and other ones like it.  Best drummer in the game since the 90s, maybe even earlier (not that there are any quality recordings of himf floating around from the 80s, maybe some old Majesty demos).  As much as he is crazy technical and can play impossible dotted rhythms and everything, he is still a drummer with great feel.

Most of his work with Dream Theater doesn't really show that side of him, of course, but try out Transatlantic or any of his other side/tribute projects-he still gets crazy at times, but only at times.
Dave Lombardo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9IOZqGHdM
Logged

glassken

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 01:48:39 AM »

Hey GK.  You smoking one or just like the ad copy?
Never had one, and yes I like the ad. Sounds good!

They are on the radar.  I'm hoping for a closeout price before they're all sold.  Sounds interesting and I enjoy the Joya stuff.  Some reviews I've read make it sound like a slightly more sophisticated Antano, though, and I'm not sure if it would be the worth the price premium.  Don't know Atlantics VIP pricing, but the $10+ regular price steers me away.
$110, for 10--and 5 Undergrowths!
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA

That and other ones like it.  Best drummer in the game since the 90s, maybe even earlier (not that there are any quality recordings of himf floating around from the 80s, maybe some old Majesty demos).  As much as he is crazy technical and can play impossible dotted rhythms and everything, he is still a drummer with great feel.

Most of his work with Dream Theater doesn't really show that side of him, of course, but try out Transatlantic or any of his other side/tribute projects-he still gets crazy at times, but only at times.
Dave Lombardo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9IOZqGHdM

My argument against Lombardo is that Slayer stopped being relevant somewhere around Seasons in the Abyss, which was what?  88 or 90?  I don't know enough of his non-Slayer work.  Maybe he filled in with Dixie Dregs and can jazz it up like a motherfucker.

Within thrash though?  Gene Hoglan.  Darkness Descends (for pure insanity) and Time Does Not Heal (for tech-thrash) are good examples.  I don't know of any good "solos" by him, but drum solos were never the point of thrash.  Not that anyone Gene ever played with was really relevant, but for something to snap the spine to, you could do a lot worse than Dark Angel.
Logged

TruDog

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • ...WooF...
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 02:09:28 AM »

Logged

glassken

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:52 AM »

H. Upmann nubbed. Pretty great for a non-aged Cuban IMHO. Sleepy time for me!
Logged

glassken

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 02:14:23 AM »

Logged

TruDog

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • ...WooF...
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 02:26:29 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA
.....Dig'N iT bRotheR.....
Doggy! What is up??
...Just get'n dinky....great video....he's great.  But still luv Neil Pert....and you?
Logged

TruDog

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • ...WooF...
Re: 7/5/2014
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA
.....Dig'N iT bRotheR.....
Doggy! What is up??
...Just get'n dinky....great video....he's great.  But still luv Neil Pert....and you?
....Neil Peart.....
Logged

glassken

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:15 AM »

I know you have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbayHHUPcA
.....Dig'N iT bRotheR.....
Doggy! What is up??
...Just get'n dinky....great video....he's great.  But still luv Neil Pert....and you?
Love the Neil! Greatest drummer, and my generation! Kinda. Saw Rush in concert 4 times! Was 14 when I bought 2112!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16