CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: 10/23/2015  (Read 28741 times)

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/23/2015
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:07 AM »

In 1989, 23 people were killed in an explosion at Phillips Petroleum Co.'s chemical complex in Pasadena, Texas. In a case that inflamed racial tensions in Boston, Charles Stuart claimed that he and his pregnant wife, Carol, had been shot in their car by a black robber. (Carol Stuart and her prematurely delivered baby died; Charles Stuart later died, an apparent suicide, after he himself was implicated.)

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »

In 1995, a jury in Houston convicted Yolanda Saldivar of murdering Tejano singing star Selena. (Saldivar was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.)

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:59 AM »

Ten years ago: Warsaw's conservative mayor, Lech Kaczynski (lekh kah-CHIN'-skee), won Poland's presidential runoff vote. The Chicago White Sox took a 2-games-to-none lead in the World Series as they beat the Houston Astros 7-6.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:26 AM »

Five years ago: The world's leading advanced and emerging countries vowed during a meeting in Gyeongju, South Korea, to avoid potentially debilitating currency devaluations, aiming to quell trade tensions that could threaten the global recovery. San Francisco's Juan Uribe hit a tiebreaking homer off Ryan Madson with two outs in the eighth inning and the Giants held off Philadelphia 3-2 to win the NL pennant in six games.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:49 AM »

One year ago: Officials announced that an emergency room doctor who'd recently returned to New York City after treating Ebola patients in West Africa tested positive for the virus, becoming the first case in the city and the fourth in the nation. (Dr. Craig Spencer later recovered.) John "Bull" Bramlett, a former professional football and baseball player who was nicknamed the "Meanest Man in Football," died in Memphis, Tennessee, at age 73.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Baseball Hall of Famer and former U.S. Senator Jim Bunning, R-Ky., is 84. Movie director Philip Kaufman is 79. Soccer great Pele (pay-lay) is 75. Rhythm-and-blues singer Barbara Ann Hawkins (The Dixie Cups) is 72. ABC News investigative reporter Brian Ross is 67. Actor Michael Rupert is 64. Movie director Ang Lee is 61. Jazz singer Dianne Reeves is 59. Country singer Dwight Yoakam is 59. Community activist Martin Luther King III is 58. Movie director Sam Raimi is 56. Parodist "Weird Al" Yankovic is 56. Rock musician Robert Trujillo (Metallica) is 51. Christian/jazz singer David Thomas (Take 6) is 49. Rock musician Brian Nevin (Big Head Todd and the Monsters) is 49. Country singer-musician Junior Bryant is 47. Actor Jon Huertas is 46. Movie director Chris Weitz is 46. CNN medical reporter Dr. Sanjay Gupta is 46. Country singer Jimmy Wayne is 43. Actress Vivian Bang is 42. Rock musician Eric Bass (Shinedown) is 41. TV personality and host Cat Deeley is 39. Actor Ryan Reynolds is 39. Rock singer Matthew Shultz (Cage the Elephant) is 32. Rhythm-and-blues singer Miguel is 30. Actress Masiela Lusha (MAH'-see-ella loo-SHA') is 30. Actress Emilia Clarke is 29. Actress Briana Evigan is 29. Actress Jessica Stroup is 29. Neo-soul musician Allen Branstetter (St. Paul & the Broken Bones) is 25

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 03:51:42 AM »

Thought for Today: "Just be yourself — it's the only way it can work." — Johnny Carson (1925-2005).

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 03:52:25 AM »

Tax Form
-------------------------

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio (AP) - The city's tax superintendent has been suspended without pay for a week for trying to inject some humor in the city income tax filing instructions.

The forms - with such lines as, "If we can tax it, we will," - were sent last week to all Middletown businesses and residents who pay city income tax.

The attempt at humor by Linda Stubbs was called "misguided" by city Finance Director John Lyons.

Lyons said revised forms were sent out immediately at a cost to taxpayers of about $5,500.

Among the lines that city officials didn't think were very funny was this one:

"Free advice: if you don't have a profit in a five-year period, you might want to consider another line of work."

Middletown is about 25 miles northeast of Cincinnati.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 03:54:28 AM »

Good morning Dave. 

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 04:10:13 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Morning, Chip. Good times wrapping up for you soon, yes?

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 04:16:48 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Last day here but it has been great to get away for some relaxing time.  The wife and I are the old couple of this foursome even though the SIL's husband is several years older then the three of us, from 3 hour bike rides, 10 mile hikes and zip lining. I haven't even had time but for 1 regular cigar this entire week and glad it was a Monte #2 from several years ago, I guess I will have to fix him a nice to go bag for him to take home when he has more time. 

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 04:20:04 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Last day here but it has been great to get away for some relaxing time.  The wife and I are the old couple of this foursome even though the SIL's husband is several years older then the three of us, from 3 hour bike rides, 10 mile hikes and zip lining. I haven't even had time but for 1 regular cigar this entire week and glad it was a Monte #2 from several years ago, I guess I will have to fix him a nice to go bag for him to take home when he has more time.
Well, at least you have 99 cigars to bring home, right?

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 04:30:51 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Hopefully I can get him to sit a little while and enjoy a shark this afternoon so it would be two less, I am just shocked at how much time they don't spend just sitting around and enjoy some piece and quiet.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 05:02:07 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Hopefully I can get him to sit a little while and enjoy a shark this afternoon so it would be two less, I am just shocked at how much time they don't spend just sitting around and enjoy some piece and quiet.
Yeah, there are definitely 2 kinds of people on a vacation - the ones who want to sit and relax and the ones that want to do as much as possible in the limited time available.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 05:54:18 AM »

Quiet morning here so far so I will go hit the store while everyone is asleep. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22