Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »

In 1969, the U.S. space probe Mariner 7 flew by Mars, sending back photographs and scientific data.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:08 AM »

In 1974, the White House released transcripts of subpoenaed tape recordings showing that President Richard Nixon and his chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman, had discussed a plan in June 1972 to use the CIA to thwart the FBI's Watergate investigation; revelation of the tape sparked Nixon's resignation.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:37 AM »

In 1984, actor Richard Burton died in Geneva, Switzerland, at age 58.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 02:30:19 AM »

In 1994, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington chose Kenneth W. Starr to take over the Whitewater investigation from Robert Fiske.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »

Ten years ago: British Prime Minister Tony Blair announced new deportation measures against people who fostered hatred and advocated violence. The NCAA announced it would shut American Indian nicknames and images out of postseason tournaments. Hunter Kelly, whose battle with a nervous system disease inspired fundraising crusade by his father, Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, died in Orchard Park, New York, at age eight.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:59 AM »

Five years ago: The Senate confirmed Elena Kagan, 63-37, as the Supreme Court's 112th justice and the fourth woman in its history. BP finished pumping cement into the blown Deepwater Horizon oil well in the Gulf of Mexico. Thirty-three workers were trapped in a copper mine in northern Chile after a tunnel caved in (all were rescued after being entombed for 69 days). Ten members of a Christian medical team from the International Assistance Mission were gunned down in Afghanistan by unknown attackers.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »

One year ago: U.S. Maj. Gen. Harold Greene was shot to death near Kabul in one of the bloodiest insider attacks in the long Afghanistan war; the gunman, dressed as an Afghan soldier, turned on allied troops, wounding about 15, including a German general and two Afghan generals. American aid worker Nancy Writebol, infected with Ebola while in Liberia, arrived in Atlanta, joining Dr. Kent Brantly, a fellow patient being given an experimental treatment. (Both recovered.) Actress Marilyn Burns, 65, best known as the heroine of the 1974 horror classic "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," was found dead at her home in Houston. Former U.S. Surgeon General Jesse Steinfeld, 87, died in Pomona, California. The San Antonio Spurs hired WNBA star Becky Hammon as an assistant coach, making her the first woman to join an NBA coaching staff.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:10 AM »

Thought for Today: "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton (1885-1945).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »

Classy Insults
-------------------------

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."
Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"
Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it."
Moses Hadas

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."
Abraham Lincoln

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."
Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends."
Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play, bring a friend... if you have one."
George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one."
Winston Churchill, in response

"I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here."
Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator."
John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."
Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up."
Paul Keating

"He had delusions of adequacy."
Walter Kerr

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
Jack E. Leonard

"He has the attention span of a lightning bolt."
Robert Redford

"They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge."
Thomas Brackett Reed

"He inherited some good instincts from his Quaker forebears, but by diligent hard work, he overcame them."
James Reston (about Richard Nixon)

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."
Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."
Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?"
Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork."
Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
Billy Wilder
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:46 AM »

Time to hit the road for work, enjoy your day guys.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:55 AM »

Good morning Dave.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 03:54:46 AM »

Good morning Dave.
Morning Chip. Happy jammin' day of humping.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »

5 Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne Epicure (Toro)
          5/24.50
 4 Gurkha Hudson Bay Torpedo (6.0"x52)
         10/27.50
 3 Nica Rustica by Drew Estate
         5/25.00
 2 601 Serie Blue Box-Press Maduro
         10/39.99
 1 La Historia by E.P. Carrillo
         5/34.50

Stuck on these Champagnes for 2 1/2 hours now, a couple of sheesh's are in order.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 04:54:10 AM »

5 Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne Epicure (Toro)
          5/24.50
 4 Gurkha Hudson Bay Torpedo (6.0"x52)
         10/27.50
 3 Nica Rustica by Drew Estate
         5/25.00
 2 601 Serie Blue Box-Press Maduro
         10/39.99
 1 La Historia by E.P. Carrillo
         5/34.50

Stuck on these Champagnes for 2 1/2 hours now, a couple of sheesh's are in order.
And the bar isn't even at the halfway point. Well past time to pull the plug.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/5/2015
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 05:23:59 AM »

6 Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979 (5.0"x50)
         10/39.99