Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »

Hola, banter friends.
Morning, Tony. What's on the docket for today?
Touring Newport, RI. Rainy day here.
Used to visit there regularly, nice spot.
You heading north or south?

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »

Tony's Over/Under for today is 7.
I'll help you with one...
Good call sticking with old pics, I'm guessing.
Actually not bad at all.
Fair enough, could've been much worse.

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2021, 01:14:57 PM »

Today’s Birthdays:

College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player Roman Gabriel is 81.
Country songwriter Bobby Braddock is 81.
Actor Loni Anderson is 76.
Actor Erika Slezak is 75.
Rock singer Rick Derringer is 74.
Actor Holly Palance is 71.
Pop singer Samantha Sang is 70.
Rock musician Eddie Ojeda (Twisted Sister) is 66.
Actor-singer Maureen McCormick is 65.
Rock musician Pat Smear is 62.
Author David Baldacci is 61.
Actor Janet McTeer is 60.
Country musician Mark O’Connor is 60.
Basketball Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing is 59.
Actor Mark Strong is 58.
Director-screenwriter James Gunn is 55.
Actor Jonathan Silverman is 55.
Country singer Terri Clark is 53.
Actor Stephanie Szostak is 50.
Retired MLB All-Star John Olerud is 53.
Rock musician Eicca Toppinen (EYE’-kah TAH’-pihn-nehn) (Apocalyptica) is 46.
Actor Jesse Williams is 41.
Actor Brendon Ryan Barrett is 35.
Actor Meegan Warner (TV: “TURN: Washington’s Spies”) is 30.
Actor/singer Olivia Holt is 24.
Actor Albert Tsai is 17.
Actor Devin Trey Campbell is 13.

6!
My bad. Didn't see Marcia Brady the first time. 7!

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »

Hola, banter friends.
Morning, Tony. What's on the docket for today?
Touring Newport, RI. Rainy day here.
Used to visit there regularly, nice spot.
You heading north or south?
Sun came out. Heading south next. Jersey shore, here we come.

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »

Guess Rona showed him!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-republican-leader-dies-of-covid-19-five-days-after-anti-vaccination-post/ar-AAMYUrq?ocid=msedgntp
I've always wondered why the "thoughts and prayers" crowd don't assume the vaccine is an answer to their prayers. I feel bad for his wife and kid, but I don't feel bad that he no longer has an opportunity to continue spreading misinformation.

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »

Hola, banter friends.
Morning, Tony. What's on the docket for today?
Touring Newport, RI. Rainy day here.
Used to visit there regularly, nice spot.
You heading north or south?
Sun came out. Heading south next. Jersey shore, here we come.
GTL, baby!

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »

Guess Rona showed him!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-republican-leader-dies-of-covid-19-five-days-after-anti-vaccination-post/ar-AAMYUrq?ocid=msedgntp
I've always wondered why the "thoughts and prayers" crowd don't assume the vaccine is an answer to their prayers. I feel bad for his wife and kid, but I don't feel bad that he no longer has an opportunity to continue spreading misinformation.
There's been nothing BUT misinformation, since day one, from all sides.  It only varies by degree and intent.  Salon magazine - no conservative bastion, that - reported that Anthony Fauci really believed and advised that masks would not be helpful in the early days.  We won't get into the Chinese disinformation and all the insistence that the US wasn't funding gain-of-function research in China.  Even the epidemiologists I work with know the Wuhan institute was doing gain-of-function research.  And breakthrough infections are now happening at an alarming rate.  Not that I'm an anti-vaxxer by any stretch of the word.  But they're happening, and the fact is no one really has any accurate idea yet how effective the vaccine is going to be nor for how long.  It's ALL hopes and prayers.

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2021, 02:04:18 PM »

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »

[...]

For the record, I had a response mostly typed up, then thought, "fukk it, no one cares."

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:59 PM »

Hazzuh!

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »

[...]

I care. GFY.

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 02:55:08 PM »

[...]

Let me just answer to that last part...part of a "discussion" I've been having with my brother.  While people like to say corners were cut with development of these vaccines with Operation Warp speed, actually nothing different was done with these than with any other drug or vaccine.  The primary reasons these were approved so quickly is that 1) money was made available to the companies (Pfizer didn't accept it) so that they could avoid the risk of doing phase 1, 2 and three studies at the same time, and 2), possibly the Major part of Warp Speed was that the red tape and slowness of FDA review was drastically shortened.  Again not changed, they just didn't take their sweet ass time getting around to it.  [due to the high cost, they usually do phase 1, submit data and wait a year or more for FDA review, then start phase 2, another year plus FDA review, then phase 3.  With this taking 5 years or more, companies can get all the data on long term stability, immunologic data from which they can determine if and when boosters are needed etc.]  So they did everything to prove safety and efficacy, but it is not possible to know need and frequency of boosters as only about a year has passed now from the start of the initial studies.  ( I'm still periodically getting blood drawn as part of the Moderna study)

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2021, 02:58:10 PM »

[...]

Let me just answer to that last part...part of a "discussion" I've been having with my brother.  While people like to say corners were cut with development of these vaccines with Operation Warp speed, actually nothing different was done with these than with any other drug or vaccine.  The primary reasons these were approved so quickly is that 1) money was made available to the companies (Pfizer didn't accept it) so that they could avoid the risk of doing phase 1, 2 and three studies at the same time. [due to the high cost, they usually do phase 1, submit data and wait a year or more for FDA review, then start phase 2, another year plus FDA review, then phase 3.  With this taking 5 years or more, companies can get all the data on long term stability, immunologic data from which they can determine if and when boosters are needed etc.]  So they did everything to prove safety and efficacy, but it is not possible to know need and frequency of boosters as only about a year has passed now from the start of the initial studies.  ( I'm still periodically getting blood drawn as part of the Moderna study)
So they Do know how effective the vaccine is.  Don't know how long that effectivess lasts, which is a very different thing.  Also don't know how effective against newly emerging variants down the road.  In truth, I'm pleasantly surprised that these vaccines have remained highly effective against the various variants that have emerged.

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 03:12:17 PM »

[...]

This last bit of data and unfortunately the politics that have infiltrated this process are the reasons the vaccines are identified as under emergency use authorization instead of approved.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6