Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »

Morning ClothesLineTony, NewDryerDave and SleeplessInSeattleManscapingRaz.
#2 Son gave me a brick of Cella shaving soap for Christmas.  That's really good stuff, though a bit high-maintenance.  You have to freeze the surplus or it goes rancid.  But it works really well.  So I ordered in some of their after shave balm.  I'm not so enthusiastic about that.  It has a bit of a garden smell to it - that weeds and dirt smell.

The new Rockwell 6s stainless-steel razor was also excellent.  I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

Since I was up early and had lots of time, I was tempted to use the very old straight razor.  But had to try out the new safety razor.
Mine isn't a true straight razor, but the same style with replaceable blades. Many moons ago, they had a tent at CF where you could get a straight razor shave. After that, I was hooked. For the shaving cream, I use Hirsh Luxury Shaving Cream, which I have in both lavender and lemon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IE3FAOK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y59ZARPWKVXNE135EXEF
Looks like they also have a Sandalwood, that'll be the next one I have to get. But these containers last forever.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »

[...]

A shavette, yes.  #2 son gave me a Parker SRX a couple of Christmases ago.  Straight razor results without the hassle.  Then I inherited a Geo Wolstenholme & Sons straight that dates to the 1870's, which is great because it has touch more heft, but it's a production to use, to be sure.

Straights require serious practice to develop the technique for shaving, and if you're using a "real" straight, then there's a practiced technique for the sharpening and stropping as well. I really should commit to it, but I'm lazy.

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »

[...]

Tell me.  I have soaps and creams likely to last until I retire.

Sandalwood is classic, but it's tricky, since nobody is actually using Santalum Album oil anymore in shaving soap.  It's too damned expensive.  My first venture into it was Taylor of Old Bond Street, which works great and is lovely at first, but the heavy floral scent eventually becomes cloying.

I'll have to see what you say about the Hirsch.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »

Oh, hey...my portfolio is up $1.20 today.  Gee whiz!

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 10:58:47 AM »

[...]

Hirsh stuff is fantastic. It's already a cream in the jar so there's no mixing with water to generate a lather, which I think makes for a better lather. The smell is fantastic, and since I'm a yooge fan of lavender, I have yet to tire of it. Plus, I'm cloy by nature.

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »

[...]

Same here, that's just too much work. The disposable blades are the way to go. Definitely still a learning curve with that one.

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »

Morning, muchachos. Insomnia check-in.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Oof. Sorry to see you on here so early, Bret. Good morning to ya.
Is what it is. Guess I'll give myself a luxury shave today.
I think some massage parlors offer a similar service. Morning, SleeplessRaz.
I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »

The sweet smell of page 2!
Good morning, ClemsonDave.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »

Oh, hey...my portfolio is up $1.20 today.  Gee whiz!

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »

Morning, muchachos. Insomnia check-in.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Oof. Sorry to see you on here so early, Bret. Good morning to ya.
Is what it is. Guess I'll give myself a luxury shave today.
I think some massage parlors offer a similar service. Morning, SleeplessRaz.
I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.
LALTS

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »

... I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

In keeping with today's theme,
TWHS!

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »

[...]

Sure, it's just more expensive because it doesn't last as long.

The TOBS Sandalwood I have is a cream, and I also have tubes of Proraso, Palmolive, and Vi-John for travel purposes and because they are classics.  But having learned how to work the harder soaps from an Italian barber, I've come to prefer those.  The trick is to use a Boar-bristle brush rather than Badger, and to put some water into the tub of soap to let it "bloom" for a few minutes...especially if like me you have really hard water.

Shaving is one of those rare cases where I prefer Italian style over Brit.  ;-)

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »

Oh, hey...my portfolio is up $1.20 today.  Gee whiz!

Yeah, that's Joe saying "Excellent.  Send it to the IRS."

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »

[...]

Interesting. I find I rarely have a proper shave anymore, I usually just use the beard trimmer and trim my neck while I'm tidying up the beard and be done with it, since, you know, quarantine and all. But now I think I've been inspired to give myself one later. A shave, not whatever Tony is thinking. ;)

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »

Oh, hey...my portfolio is up $1.20 today.  Gee whiz!

Yeah, that's Joe saying "Excellent.  Send it to the IRS."
Hey, if you've already filed your taxes, at least you'll get to hang on to it for another year before you have to give it up. ;)
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6