Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Well, turns out I was wrong about the snow day situation, because my kids just got one for some reason. Cancelling remote learning due to bad weather is the most 2020 thing I've seen yet.
WTF? Why? Curious to know what was the logic in that decision? I guess I should prepare myself for the same kind of stupidity.
Your guess is as good as mine. We only got about 3 inches (TWSS), but it was raining all day yesterday, so I gotta imagine the roads are terrible. Though, still not sure how that impacts school from the kitchen table, but I don't get paid to make these decisions.
The only thing I can think of is since they go to a constellation school, they always use the main city's school district as their guide for when to cancel, because I think they use the same bussing. So since the city's schools aren't totally remote, they cancelled, so ours cancelled.
But oddly enough, the city we live in did not close schools today. Those kids must be pissed.
Now I'm pissed again.
Okay, stay with me here.  It's about money.  School districts get money from the Feds based on Average Daily Membership.  It is not in the school district's interest to allow the Average Daily Membership to be diluted by teaching to reduced numbers of students.  So...snow day.

I learned this long ago when I was a young system analyst for a very large school district, which due to failure of an essential but archaic computer was unable to report any ADM numbers, let alone remotely accurate numbers.  So, a coworker and I were called to the boss's office, had the situation explained to us, and were cryptically instructed to "fix it" anyway we could.  Produce the numbers and keep our mouths shut.  So, after splitting a pitcher of beer for dinner at the bar up the street, we returned to the office and over the next eleven hours we "fixed" the numbers.  Technically, it was a federal crime.  Federal statutes of limitation have long since expired, but I still won't tell you when or where this happened.

Today is Tuesday, Dec. 1, the 336th day of 2020.
There are 30 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On Dec. 1, 1955, Rosa Parks, a Black seamstress, was arrested after refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a Montgomery, Alabama, city bus; the incident sparked a year-long boycott of the buses by Blacks.

On this date:
In 1824, the presidential election was turned over to the U.S. House of Representatives when a deadlock developed between John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, William H. Crawford and Henry Clay. (Adams ended up the winner.)
In 1860, the Charles Dickens novel “Great Expectations” was first published in weekly serial form.
In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln sent his Second Annual Message to Congress, in which he called for the abolition of slavery, and went on to say, “Fellow-citizens, we can not escape history. We of this Congress and this Administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves.”

In 1941, Japan’s Emperor Hirohito approved waging war against the United States, Britain and the Netherlands after his government rejected U.S. demands contained in the Hull Note.
In 1942, during World War II, nationwide gasoline rationing went into effect in the United States; the goal was not so much to save on gas, but to conserve rubber (as in tires) that was desperately needed for the war effort.
In 1965, an airlift of refugees from Cuba to the United States began in which thousands of Cubans were allowed to leave their homeland.

In 1969, the U.S. government held its first draft lottery since World War II.
In 1974, TWA Flight 514, a Washington-bound Boeing 727, crashed in Virginia after being diverted from National Airport to Dulles International Airport; all 92 people on board were killed. Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 6231, a Boeing 727, crashed near Stony Point, New York, with the loss of its three crew members (the plane had been chartered to pick up the Baltimore Colts football team in Buffalo, New York).
In 1989, Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev met with Pope John Paul II at the Vatican.

In 1990, British and French workers digging the Channel Tunnel between their countries finally met after knocking out a passage in a service tunnel.
In 1991, Ukrainians voted overwhelmingly for independence from the Soviet Union.
In 2006, Felipe Calderon took the oath of office as Mexico’s president amid catcalls and brawling lawmakers, a chaotic start to a term in which he pledged to heal a country divided by his narrow victory.

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama’s bipartisan deficit commission unveiled its recommendations including lower income taxes, fewer tax breaks and higher age for retirement benefits (however, the panel failed to advance the package to Congress two days later.) LPGA players meeting in Orlando, Florida, voted to allow transgender players to compete on tour.

Five years ago: President Barack Obama told a U.N. climate conference that parts of the global warming deal being negotiated in Paris should be legally binding on the countries that signed on, setting up a potential fight with Republicans at home. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said the United States was expanding its special operations forces in Iraq and Syria to help fight Islamic State militants. The Philadelphia 76ers ended the longest losing streak in the history of major professional sports in the United States, topping the Los Angeles Lakers 103-91 to snap a 28-game skid.

One year ago: “Frozen 2” set a record for the five-day period starting on the day before Thanksgiving, taking in $132.7 million at the box office. A powerful winter storm that had tormented travelers across the U.S. since before Thanksgiving moved to the Northeast. Actor Shelley Morrison, best known for playing maid Rosario Salazar on “Will & Grace,” died at the age of 83.

Today’s Birthdays:

Actor-director Woody Allen is 85.
World Golf Hall of Famer Lee Trevino is 81.
Singer Dianne Lennon (The Lennon Sisters) is 81.
Country musician Casey Van Beek (The Tractors) is 78.
producer David Salzman is 77.
singer-musician Eric Bloom (Blue Oyster Cult) is 76.
Rock musician John Densmore (The Doors) is 76.
Actor-singer Bette Midler is 75.
Singer Gilbert O’Sullivan is 74.
Former child actor Keith Thibodeaux (TV: “I Love Lucy”) is 70.
Actor Treat Williams is 69.
Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., is 68.
Country singer Kim Richey is 64.
Actor Charlene Tilton is 62.
Actor-model Carol Alt is 60.
Actor Jeremy Northam is 59.
Actor Katherine LaNasa is 54.
Producer-director Andrew Adamson is 54.
Actor Nestor Carbonell is 53.
Actor Golden Brooks is 50.
-comedian Sarah Silverman is 50.
Actor Ron Melendez is 48.
Contemporary Christian singer Bart Millard (MIL’-urd) is 48.
Actor-writer-producer David Hornsby is 45.
Singer Sarah Masen is 45.
Rock musician Brad Delson (Linkin Park) is 43.
Actor Nate Torrence is 43.
Rock/Christian music singer-songwriter Mat Kearney is 42.
Actor Riz Ahmed (Film: “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) is 38.
Actor Charles Michael Davis is 36.
Actor Ilfenesh Hadera is 35.
R&B singer-actor Janelle Monae is 35.
Actor Ashley Monique Clark is 32.
Pop-rock-rap singer Tyler Joseph (Twenty One Pilots) is 32.
Actor Zoe Kravitz is 32.
Pop singer Nico Sereba (Nico & Vinz) is 30.
Actor Jackson Nicoll is 17.

Bit chilly here for sure, upper 20's but a biting wind to go with it that really makes it uncomfortable.  Will be in the 50's by midday though.  Had to get out the flannel shirt.
Got a bit of snow in the mountains just to the west.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter

Well, turns out I was wrong about the snow day situation, because my kids just got one for some reason. Cancelling remote learning due to bad weather is the most 2020 thing I've seen yet.
WTF? Why? Curious to know what was the logic in that decision? I guess I should prepare myself for the same kind of stupidity.
question nothing the union has spoken.
Does this also apply to elections? Asking for a friend.
no, only the teachers can do this, they are special.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter

Morning, muchachos.
Morning, Raz. How's the weather by you this morning?
Calmer today than yesterday.  First half of yesterday was pretty blustery and wet.  Mostly, though, it's been a moderate, if soggy, autumn.
We've been pretty lucky too, as far as autumns go. Today was our first bit of anything nasty, other than some crazy wind a couple of November Sundays.
I've probably mentioned before that the little town where I live bears a Native American name, Enumclaw, that translates roughly to "a windy place." The town is on a plateau scraped clean every few centuries by an eruption of Ta•Ho•Ma, aka Mt Rainier, and it is situated at the mouth of Chinook Pass. So when atmospheric pressure drops on our side of the Cascades, the wind comes screaming through the pass from the east side, and the pass becomes a big venturi. Sometimes it damned near becomes a low-grade hurricane.
Gotta love that about the Native Americans, they sure have a knack for naming things.
sorry just had to do it.
A Native American brave was curious as to how he had received his name. So he went to speak to his father, the chieftain of the tribe.

"Father," he asked, "how is it that I acquired my name.

The noble chieftain began a long narrative for his youngest son.

"Well, my son, I named you and both of your brothers for an event which occurred on the day each of you were born. For example, the day your eldest brother was born, I saw a deer running swiftly through the forest, so I named him Deer Running Swiftly.

"Likewise, when your middle brother was born, the rain was pouring hard outside of the wigwam, so I named him Rain Pouring Hard.

"Why do you ask, Two Dogs Fucking?"

[...]

I'd write a letter to my state rep, but they're too busy trying to impeach our governor now.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter

[...]

everyone needs a hobby with all this COVID19 lockdown hysteria.

[...]

I seem to recall a car commercial in that same ballpark, where the kid realizes he was named after the car in which he was conceived. Which, when you type it out, is pretty out there for a car commercial.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter

I am looking forward to four years of Hunter Ukraine China Hunter Ukraine China Hunter Ukraine China. Or Joe’s fracture of the month.
[...]

how else do you explain the name Gremlin?
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter

Should be flying to Kona now, then SC till all travel plans were Covinated. 😢 a week at home sheesh!

Should be flying to Kona now, then SC till all travel plans were Covinated. 😢 a week at home sheesh!
A friend of mine was going somewhere this morning, but they broke the windshield of the plane while de-icing it. Last I heard, she was scrambling for an alternate flight.

[...]

I have long ago given up trying to explain AMC cars,
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5