Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »

Evening gents.  Just finished a long list of chores and sat down to a melanio rob.  Beautiful day in central Texas.  Sadly I think the warden is fixin to interrupt my relaxation with "let's go to dinner " plans.
Hiya, Bean. My wife is starting to give me the get-to-workin' stinkeye. But the work I'll have to do today is paperwork, so I'll get to have a cigar while I do it. ;-)I
Yeah, I'm hoping when she gets home and sees how great the garage looks now she'll forget about being hungry long enough for me to finish this stick.
What ya smok'n?
Melanio rob.  And I lucked out, she picked up some food on the way home, no changing clothes and rushing out to a restaurant on a Saturday evening.
Only had a couple but excellent smoke!

« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »

7
Bye the bye, I've decided to return the Front-Line tuckable holster. I like that it's made of heavy leather. But fit on the gun was a little loose, and it doesn't really work as an OWB holster. With the 1911, it's floppy. It was obviously a lot to expect for it to function as both IWB and OWB. But given it doesn't, then its belt loops are too exposed. I've decided to try a Desantis Mad Max, and if that works for me to put in an order for the real thing - a Versa-Max 2. For open or semi-concealed carry, I'm going to pick up an Omega Gunsite.
Fits glock perfect but I don't like it as OWB hangs too low but I always wear IWB anyway which is what I bought it for.  Just like cigars everyone likes um different :)
Indeed. And the Front-line is undoubtedly a quality holster.
I place one loop near my trousers loop and cover the other one with cell phone and virtually not noticeable at all.
When I carry at work, it really needs to be deep conceal, because while it's not illegal or against regulations for me to carry there, it would really make people upset. The loops on the FL are more prominent on me because I'm short and fairly skinny. I can manage to hide them, but I'd be worrying about them - and worrying about them leads to discovery. Fortunately, we have to dress more warmly here than Texans do most of the year, which helps with concealing. But the smaller I can get the footprint of the retainer clips/loops to be, the more likely I'll be able to use a single holster year-round.
I am forbidden by law to carry at work and can't even have the empty holster by policy - SUX but then again so does my job. >:(
Guy in Houston makes these and they are truly invisible, not so sure about comfort of 1911 in it though. I have one and would be better for skinny guy but can put small Glock in it easy.  Have to wear an undershirt under it.

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/products/air-marshal3
Seen that, just haven't gotten around to trying one with a 1911.

My accident has gotten me seriously thinking about lighter-weight carry, though. I love my 1911, but seriously thinking I need a smaller and lighter option. Thinking about a G23, and seems to me that would work nicely in a rig like the Kangaroo.
I have that Glock, and while certainly more CC friendly than a 1911 it's not exactly small.  There are a ton of great compacts which you would love, depending on your cal desires.
I haven't found a truly "small" weapon I like or can shoot well. I'm sure I could manage one with enough practice, but the question always seems to be, "Why?" If I can comfortably conceal and carry a full-size 1911, then a somewhat smaller and lighter weapon should be easier without having to master the ergonomic eccentricities of a subcompact. I like the 23 and can shoot it well. I've never tried a 26 because I didn't like the feel when I held one in a store, even though I have small hands.
Subcompacts will never be as nice or accurate to shoot as the G23, at least for me, so sounds like that's the ticket for you as well.  The gen 4 comes with three replacable backstraps (adjustable grip depth), which if you have small hands you may not find useful.

« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »

[...]

I have that Glock, and while certainly more CC friendly than a 1911 it's not exactly small.  There are a ton of great compacts which you woild love, depending on your cal desires.
I admit I am a Glock whore and a .357 Sig whore but my #1 carry is a G-33 with a G-32 magazine and X-Grip extender.  For the .45 whores look at a G-30S but hard to find.  It is narrower than other 2 G-30 models and holds 10 +1
I'm not a Glock whore - yet. Early on I sniffed at them like most 1911-bigots do. But after shooting several, I decided I like them fine. To my mind, they are the best value-, quality-, and weight-for-money package there is. I just haven't gotten to buying one yet because I keep buying cigars and holsters. ;-)
There are cooler and finer guns but there are none more reliable is why I savor them.   They just keep on shoot'n.  I once loaded my G-22 with a Walmart buffet of 5 different loads all mixed up and pulled the trigger as fast as possible 16 times and she never blinked an eye.  I actually have one or more of every caliber except .380 and 9mm and they have never ever failed to fire and cycle.

« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »

[...]

Gen 3 fits me fine but my son hates them, just like cigars!

« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »

Evening gents.  Just finished a long list of chores and sat down to a melanio rob.  Beautiful day in central Texas.  Sadly I think the warden is fixin to interrupt my relaxation with "let's go to dinner " plans.
Hiya, Bean. My wife is starting to give me the get-to-workin' stinkeye. But the work I'll have to do today is paperwork, so I'll get to have a cigar while I do it. ;-)I
Yeah, I'm hoping when she gets home and sees how great the garage looks now she'll forget about being hungry long enough for me to finish this stick.
What ya smok'n?
Melanio rob.  And I lucked out, she picked up some food on the way home, no changing clothes and rushing out to a restaurant on a Saturday evening.
Home Run!   Maybe your luck will hold out! ;)
The warden's mood is like Texas weather, always changing and you never know what you're going to get!

« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »

Evening gents.  Just finished a long list of chores and sat down to a melanio rob.  Beautiful day in central Texas.  Sadly I think the warden is fixin to interrupt my relaxation with "let's go to dinner " plans.
Hiya, Bean. My wife is starting to give me the get-to-workin' stinkeye. But the work I'll have to do today is paperwork, so I'll get to have a cigar while I do it. ;-)I
Yeah, I'm hoping when she gets home and sees how great the garage looks now she'll forget about being hungry long enough for me to finish this stick.
What ya smok'n?
Melanio rob.  And I lucked out, she picked up some food on the way home, no changing clothes and rushing out to a restaurant on a Saturday evening.
Home Run!   Maybe your luck will hold out! ;)
The warden's mood is like Texas weather, always changing and you never know what you're going to get!
That is what makes them WRden's. :)

« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »

Speaking of TX weather it is going to get cold as chit this week, mid to low 20's.

« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »

Speaking of TX weather it is going to get cold as chit this week, mid to low 20's.
Yep, this was probably the last nice day for a while.  Oh well, at least it's supposed to be sunny.

« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »

Think I will go in and discuss dinner (at home).  Enjoyed the cigar and gun talk, later guys.

« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

Speaking of TX weather it is going to get cold as chit this week, mid to low 20's.
Yep, this was
probably the last nice day for a while.  Oh well, at least it's supposed to be sunny.
Amen on sunshine!

« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »

Think I will go in and discuss dinner (at home).  Enjoyed the cigar and gun talk, later guys.
Not far behind you, Dave.  Also think I'll look into a G27, being partial to the 40 cal.  Enjoy your evening.

« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

Think I will go in and discuss dinner (at home).  Enjoyed the cigar and gun talk, later guys.
Not far behind you, Dave.  Also think I'll look into a G27, being partial to the 40 cal.  Enjoy your evening.
Slip a G23 magazine with X-Grip adapter in it and give it a whirl.

« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »

Cigar nubbed, and it was a good one.  Guess I'll head in and have some eats as well.  Later raz and whoever else is out there.

« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »

Evening gents.  Just finished a long list of chores and sat down to a melanio rob.  Beautiful day in central Texas.  Sadly I think the warden is fixin to interrupt my relaxation with "let's go to dinner " plans.
Hiya, Bean. My wife is starting to give me the get-to-workin' stinkeye. But the work I'll have to do today is paperwork, so I'll get to have a cigar while I do it. ;-)I
Yeah, I'm hoping when she gets home and sees how great the garage looks now she'll forget about being hungry long enough for me to finish this stick.
What ya smok'n?
Melanio rob.  And I lucked out, she picked up some food on the way home, no changing clothes and rushing out to a restaurant on a Saturday evening.
Home Run!   Maybe your luck will hold out! ;)
He meant to say, "Run away from home! Maybe your luck will hold out!"

« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2015, 07:34:07 PM »

[...]

To my mind, guns are more like cars than cigars.  You got your Mercedes, Beemers, Lexuses, and your super cars.  Then you've got your more pedestrian makes.  To some degree they'll all get you from point A to point B. As you go up the price scale, they tend to get you there more reliably, more often, and with greater tolerance of the vagaries of the road.  But as you go up the price scale, the returns start to diminish.  A Sig is a fine, precision weapon, and I'd love to own some and will.  But the difference between a Sig and my Colt or a Glock is not, for me, how reliably, quickly, or often it will get the job done.  I'm not a competitive shooter, a Navy Seal, or likely to see heavy combat, so I'll never see the point at which the Sig's fine engineering comes into play because I'm not likely to ever fire it enough times.  So the differences, for me, are reduced to one - pride of ownership.  It'd be fun to drive such a gun and appreciate the fineness of its operation and appreciate the compliments or envy of my friends for owning such a fine piece of work.  If I thought for a moment that owning a Sig instead of a Glock or a 1911 would be the difference between life and death for me, I'd sell my house if necessary to get one.  But it won't be.  I know at least to the 95th-percentile or higher what my Colt is going to do when I skin it and pull the trigger.  It's going to get the job done for me, and it will look good doing it, and get its share of oohs and ahs from the folks who see it at the range.  So, maybe compared to a Mercedes Benz or a Sig, my colt is more of a Ford Explorer.  But I like my Ford Explorer, too. ;-)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]