Pages: 1 [2] 3

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 10:02:17 AM »

Today is Sunday, Oct. 4, the 278th day of 2020.
[/size][/color]
There are 88 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlights in History:
On Oct. 4, 1957, the Space Age began as the Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite, into orbit.
On this date:
In 1861, during the Civil War, the United States Navy authorized construction of the first ironclad ship, the USS Monitor.
In 1940, Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini conferred at Brenner Pass in the Alps.

In 1951, the MGM movie musical “An American in Paris,” starring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron (ka-ROHN’), had its U.S. premiere in New York.
In 1957, James R. Hoffa was elected president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. The family comedy series “Leave It to Beaver” premiered on CBS.
In 1965, Pope Paul VI, making the first-ever papal visit to the Western Hemisphere, addressed the U.N. General Assembly, where he urged delegates to adopt as their solemn oath: “No more war, war never again.”

In 1970, rock singer Janis Joplin, 27, was found dead in her Hollywood hotel room.
In 1990, for the first time in nearly six decades, German lawmakers met in the Reichstag for the first meeting of reunified Germany’s parliament.
In 1991, 26 nations, including the United States, signed the Madrid Protocol, which imposed a 50-year ban on oil exploration and mining in Antarctica.

In 2001, a Russian airliner flying from Israel to Siberia was accidentally downed by a Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile over the Black Sea, killing all 78 people aboard. Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants hit his 70th home run to tie Mark McGwire’s 1998 record in a 10-2 victory over the Houston Astros.
In 2002, “American Taliban” John Walker Lindh received a 20-year sentence after a sobbing plea for forgiveness before a federal judge in Alexandria, Virginia. He was released from prison in May, 2019. In a federal court in Boston, a laughing Richard Reid pleaded guilty to trying to blow up a trans-Atlantic flight with explosives in his shoes (the British citizen was later sentenced to life in prison).

In 2004, the SpaceShipOne rocket plane broke through Earth’s atmosphere to the edge of space for the second time in five days, capturing the $10 million Ansari X prize aimed at opening the final frontier to tourists. Pioneering astronaut Gordon Cooper died in Ventura, California, at age 77.
In 2017, President Donald Trump visited hospital bedsides and a police base in Las Vegas in the aftermath of the shooting rampage three nights earlier that left 58 people dead.

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »

Ten years ago: The Supreme Court began a new era with three women serving together for the first time as Elena Kagan took her place at the end of the bench. The Nobel Prize in medicine went to Robert Edwards of Britain, whose work led to the first test tube baby. The Europeans reclaimed the Ryder Cup, winning 14 1/2-13 1/2.

Five years ago: President Barack Obama paid tribute to firefighters who had died in the line of duty and cited the sacrifices they’d made in service to a grateful nation during an annual memorial service at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Pope Francis opened a divisive meeting of the world’s bishops on family issues by forcefully asserting that marriage was an indissoluble bond between man and woman, but saying the church had to “seek out and care for hurting couples with the balm of acceptance and mercy.”

One year ago: The impeachment probe reached directly into the White House as House Democrats subpoenaed officials about contacts with Ukraine; President Donald Trump signaled that his administration would not cooperate. Faced with months of pro-democracy protests that had spiraled into violence, Hong Kong’s government invoked emergency powers to ban masks from public gatherings. Security forces in central Baghdad opened fire directly at hundreds of anti-government demonstrators, killing at least 17 protesters and injuring dozens. Bernie Sanders was discharged from a Las Vegas hospital; his presidential campaign confirmed that Sanders had a heart attack earlier in the week. Diahann Carroll died in Los Angeles at the age of 84 after a bout with breast cancer; she’d been the first Black woman to star as a non-servant in her own television show with the series “Julia,” which ran from 1968 to 1973.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Country singer Leroy Van Dyke is 91.
Actor Felicia Farr is 88.
Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Sam Huff is 86.
Author Roy Blount Jr. is 79.
Author Anne Rice is 79.
Actor Lori Saunders (TV: “Petticoat Junction”) is 79.
Baseball Hall of Famer Tony La Russa is 76.
Actor Clifton Davis is 75.
The former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, is 74.
Former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel is 74.
Actor Susan Sarandon is 74.
Blues musician Duke Robillard is 72.
Playwright Lee Blessing is 71.
Actor Armand Assante is 71.
Actor Alan Rosenberg is 70.
Actor Christoph Waltz is 64.
Actor Bill Fagerbakke is 63.
Music producer Russell Simmons is 63.
Actor Kyra Schon (Film: “Night of the Living Dead”) is 63.
Actor-singer Wendy Makkena is 62.
Musician Chris Lowe (The Pet Shop Boys) is 61.
Country musician Gregg “Hobie” Hubbard (Sawyer Brown) is 60.
Actor David W. Harper is 59.
Singer Jon Secada is 59.
TV personality John Melendez is 55.
Actor-comedian Jerry Minor is 53.
Actor Liev Schreiber is 53.
Actor Abraham Benrubi is 51.
Country singer-musician Heidi Newfield is 50.
Singer-guitarist M. Ward (She & Him) is 47.
Actor Alicia Silverstone is 44.
Actor Dana Davis is 42.
Rock musician Robbie Bennett (The War on Drugs) is 42.
Actor Phillip Glasser is 42.
Rock singer-musician Marc Roberge (O.A.R.) is 42.
Actor Brandon Barash is 41.
Actor Rachael Leigh Cook is 41.
Actor Tim Peper is 40.
Actor Jimmy Workman is 40.
Bassist Cubbie Fink is 38.
Rhythm-and-blues singer Jessica Benson (3lw) is 33.
Actor Michael Charles Roman is 33.
Actor Melissa Benoist is 32.
NBA All-Star Derrick Rose is 32.
Actor Dakota Johnson is 31.
Figure skater Kimmie Meisner is 31.
Actor Leigh-Anne Pinnock (Little Mix) is 29.
Actor Ryan Scott Lee is 24.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »

Good morning Clemson Dave and OY. I'm coffee'd up. I have a socially distanced party for my Niece to attend after work. Bills in Las Vegas and a projected 99 degrees

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »

Good morning all. Coffee -cigar -football, new normal looks a lot like the old.
I didn't see the photo originally. Yeah, you're right, looks completely normal.
Speaking of normal, I've got a cafe con leche going with pan Cubano.

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

Good morning Clemson Dave and OY. I'm coffee'd up. I have a socially distanced party for my Niece to attend after work. Bills in Las Vegas and a projected 99 degrees
Is the Vegas stadium an outdoor one?

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »

Good morning Clemson Dave and OY. I'm coffee'd up. I have a socially distanced party for my Niece to attend after work. Bills in Las Vegas and a projected 99 degrees
Is the Vegas stadium an outdoor one?
Retractable roof
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 10/4/2020
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »

Good morning all. Coffee -cigar -football, new normal looks a lot like the old.
I didn't see the photo originally. Yeah, you're right, looks completely normal.
Speaking of normal, I've got a cafe con leche going with pan Cubano.

Shakshouka here!

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »

Good morning all. Coffee -cigar -football, new normal looks a lot like the old.
I didn't see the photo originally. Yeah, you're right, looks completely normal.
Speaking of normal, I've got a cafe con leche going with pan Cubano.

Shakshouka here!
I'm a big fan. Make it all the time.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 10/4/2020
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »

The HVC Serie A. Nice looking cigar no visible seams even pack. As I start, very loose draw loads of smoke, mild in flavor no pepper or power initially. I’m not getting much flavor on the draw but the finish has a mild pepper and the retrohale has a bit of sweet space. The burn is fairly decent, and the flavors I’m getting initially lead me to believe this is made with quality tobacco. 1 inch in the flavors are baking space, earth and fine tobacco. The finish is so clean and fast that 30 seconds later I feel I need another puff.
I am paring this with coffee and as I continue to smoke the first 1/3 I’m getting some hints of almond and a savory mild pepper.
So far the cigar is super smooth and I would say mild to medium in body and strength.
The ash is gray and flaky and does not hold on much past an inch.
Second third and getting a lot of maduro like sweetness from the cigar it continues super smooth medium body medium strength best and very pleasant for my palate.
As I smoke the cigar continues to be consistent in flavors yet they do amplify and become much more pronounced as I get past the halfway point. It’s definitely a cigar that will hold your attention throughout. For me it’s a humidor keeper and I’m thinking to grab a box of the smaller vitals. To be fair I’m smoking this one day 0TT and I hope that they will only get better as they spend a little more time in my humidor.

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »

[...]
Thanks for the info, Oy. That's one of the cigars on my radar. Sounds promising.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »

[...]
Yeah I like the description.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »

Gorgeous day. Lovely evening.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 10:28:56 PM »

On to a Nica Rustica

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »

Page three already?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3