Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you.

Also, while it didn't become the national motto until 1956, it first started appearing on the money in 1864, and originates, of course, in the fourth verse of the national anthem, ca 1814.
Mr. Raz bursts forth as a font of historical info.
Good morning sir!
I just get annoyed when people make pat pronouncements about things when they haven't looked at the history or legal precedent or whatever.  My fellow Christians have historically been really bad about doing this, but progressive Democrats have caught right up to them in the past three decades.

"In God We Trust" didn't "replace" E Pluribus Unum.  That was never officially a motto of the United States.
In other words, ClemsonDave posted #FakeNews ?
Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
What taxes do you think churches don't pay?
Property tax, federal income tax, state income tax, sales tax...

Please correct me.

Generally speaking, corporations, be they for-profit or non-profit, aren't taxed on income at the Federal level. That particular screwing is only applied to us suckers who work for a paycheck. Corporations are taxed on profit - essentially, revenue minus expenses. There are some complexities to it, but generally speaking, that's how it works. And since non-profits, again, generally speaking, don't have any profits, they aren't taxed.

There are some states, like my own, that impose B&O taxes on business income, but because non-profits don't really participate in the commercial commons - there's no "value add" - they are mostly exempted.

Sales tax? There's no federal sales tax. And no categorical exemption of which I'm aware in any state from state and local sales taxes. Exemptions from sales taxes are contextual - what is taxed and who has to collect varies from state to state based on what is being sold and who is selling it. So churches may be exempted from tax on some types of sales, but not most for the simple reason that most sales fall into the category of unrelated business and are therefore subject to tax.

« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »

Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
What taxes do you think churches don't pay?

So...what great national windfall are you expecting to collect by taxing charitable non-profits?

Well that's a very different argument than, "What taxes do you think churches don't pay?" I think the point was that not all churches are truly all that charitable. A few bad apples have been discovered along the way and made me sceptical. Again, no different than other "charities".
Being a "bad apple" is a surefire way to lose tax exemption. The exemption is not a blanket exemption. If the IRS finds a non-profit breaking the rules, even inadvertently, taxes are assessed, and payable. Period.

And there are some real complexities. For example, my church leases  some square footage of our parking lot to a company that operates a drive-through coffee stand on it. If we didn't have a mortgage on the property, oddly enough, we could exempt that space from property taxes. But because we have a mortgage, we have to pay property taxes on it. And because renting some of our parking lot to a for-profit company is "unrelated business," the rent income is not exempted from taxes. Regardless of the fact that the church doesn't turn a profit overall, that particular effort is always considered "profitable," so we have to pay taxes on it.

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2020, 03:51:51 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »

Oliva Saison Maduro
Toro  5/$17.50

« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

;D

« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »

Travelling to NJ tomorrow and will be semi incommunicado for a while after.

« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?

« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »

Travelling to NJ tomorrow and will be semi incommunicado for a while after.
I don't know how you do it. I hope you have a safe trip.

« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

That's awfully vague. There must be dozens.

« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

What did he call that the "nipple tip" or something?
I think that's what Dean calls it.

« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2020, 05:41:15 PM »

Interesting addition to the man cave rotation from a certain NJ expat in SC

That's awfully vague. There must be dozens.
Indeed.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/30/2020
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »

As per Mr. Oy's suggestion, HVC 500 Anniv.
I'm quite curious about that one myself.
It's a solid.  Dare I say Cubanesque?
well I don’t like them now 😂
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/30/2020
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2020, 06:06:48 PM »

Good afternoon still enjoying my hunt for the great Connecticut.
Griffins were my go to, but enjoying the Crema and have the luminosa on the way. I also enjoyed the Floe de Selva US release very much, so let me know if you see a deal.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/30/2020
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2020, 06:10:05 PM »

Peppers 🌶 are looking good!

« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »

Good afternoon still enjoying my hunt for the great Connecticut.
Griffins were my go to, but enjoying the Crema and have the luminosa on the way. I also enjoyed the Floe de Selva US release very much, so let me know if you see a deal.
Have you seen my Connecticut selections under calendar events on this page? Some good ones in there
Just ones opinion. The best Connecticut is the one you like.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9