Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 07:41:15 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On July 30, 1945, the Portland class heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis, having just delivered components of the atomic bomb to Tinian in the Mariana Islands, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine; only 317 out of nearly 1,200 men survived.

On this date:
In 1619, the first representative assembly in America convened in Jamestown in the Virginia Colony.
In 1792, the French national anthem “La Marseillaise” (lah mar-seh-YEHZ’), by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, was first sung in Paris by troops arriving from Marseille.

In 1844, the New York Yacht Club was founded.
In 1908, the first round-the-world automobile race, which had begun in New York in February, ended in Paris with the drivers of the American car, a Thomas Flyer, declared the winners over teams from Germany and Italy.

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).
In 1960, the recently founded American Football League saw its first pre-season game, in which the Boston Patriots defeated the host Buffalo Bills 28-7.

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed a measure creating Medicare, which began operating the following year.
In 1975, former Teamsters union president Jimmy Hoffa disappeared in suburban Detroit; although presumed dead, his remains have never been found.
In 1980, Israel’s Knesset passed a law reaffirming all of Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state.

In 2001, Robert Mueller (MUHL’-ur), President George W. Bush’s choice to head the FBI, promised the Senate Judiciary Committee that if confirmed, he would move forcefully to fix problems at the agency. (Mueller became FBI director on Sept. 4, 2001, a week before the 9/11 attacks.)
In 2003, President George W. Bush took personal responsibility for the first time for using discredited intelligence in his State of the Union address, but predicted he would be vindicated for going to war against Iraq.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama toured Chrysler and General Motors assembly plants, where he offered an upbeat assessment of the U.S. auto industry a year after the big government bailouts. A 12-year-old Florida girl was seriously injured when she plunged about 100 feet to the ground from an amusement park free-fall ride in Lake Delton, Wisconsin. (Nets and air bags that were supposed to catch Teagan Marti (TEE’-gehn MAHR’-tee) had not been deployed.)

Five years ago: The Associated Press released the results of a five-month independent study it had commissioned which found that athletes competing in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro would be swimming and boating in waters so rife with sewage bacteria and viruses, they faced the risk of becoming seriously ill. The Afghan Taliban confirmed the death of longtime leader Mullah Mohammad Omar and appointed his successor, Mullah Akhtar Mansoor. Singer Lynn Anderson, 67, whose strong, husky voice carried her to the top of the charts with “(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden,” died in Nashville, Tennessee.

One year ago: At a debate in Detroit, the “Medicare for All” proposal from the leading Democratic progressive candidates came under fire from moderates who warned that “wish list economics” would hurt the party’s chances for winning the White House in 2020. President Donald Trump marked the 400th anniversary of American democracy at an event in Jamestown, Virginia; it was boycotted by Black Virginia lawmakers angered by Trump’s continued disparagement of veteran Black congressman Elijah Cummings. Hall of Fame football middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti, who helped lead the Miami Dolphins to their unbeaten record in 1972, died at the age of 78.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Former Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig is 86.
Blues musician Buddy Guy is 84.
Movie director Peter Bogdanovich is 81.
Feminist activist Eleanor Smeal is 81.
Former U.S. Rep. Patricia Schroeder is 80.
Singer Paul Anka is 79.
Jazz musician David Sanborn is 75.
Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is 73.
Actor William Atherton is 73.
Actor Jean Reno (zhahn rih-NOH’) is 72.
Blues singer-musician Otis Taylor is 72.
Actor Frank Stallone is 70.
Actor Ken Olin is 66.
Actress Delta Burke is 64.
Law professor Anita Hill is 64.
Singer-songwriter Kate Bush is 62.
Country singer Neal McCoy is 62.
Actor Richard Burgi is 62.
Movie director Richard Linklater is 60.
Actor Laurence Fishburne is 59.
Actress Lisa Kudrow is 57.
Bluegrass musician Danny Roberts (The Grascals) is 57.
Country musician Dwayne O’Brien is 57.
Actress Vivica A. Fox is 56.
Actor Terry Crews is 52.
Actor Simon Baker is 51.
Actor Donnie Keshawarz is 51.
Movie director Christopher Nolan is 50.
Actor Tom Green is 49.
Rock musician Brad Hargreaves (Third Eye Blind) is 49.
Actress Christine Taylor is 49.
Actor-comedian Dean Edwards is 47.
Actress Hilary Swank is 46.
Olympic gold medal beach volleyball player Misty May-Treanor is 43.
Actress Jaime Pressly is 43.
Alt-country singer-musician Seth Avett (AY’-veht) is 40.
Actress April Bowlby is 40.
Soccer player Hope Solo is 39.
Actress Yvonne Strahovski is 38.
Actor Martin Starr is 38.
Actress Gina Rodriguez is 36.
Actor Nico Tortorella is 32.
Actress Joey King is 21.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »

Cartoon of the Day

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »

Glad Tony flipped the Today in History page today.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »

This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »

Good morning, FloridaDean and ClemsonDave.

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »

This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds
Maybe he was wearing someone else's mask?

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »

Glad Tony flipped the Today in History page today.
Me too.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 08:14:53 AM »

This Texas Congressman thinks having to wear a mask GAVE him 'Rona....
...and this is what is leading the country....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/louie-gohmert-wonders-if-he-got-covid-19-from-his-face-mask/ar-BB17mGlJ?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds
This all makes sense to me.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1960, the recently founded American Football League saw its first pre-season game, in which the Boston Patriots defeated the host Buffalo Bills 28-7...

Some things never change.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »

emptied and cleaned hottub. La Palina Classis as it fills.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9