CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: 7/30/2020  (Read 5786 times)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
Re: 7/30/2020
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Very interesting. I'd vote to change it back.
Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you. 

Also, while it didn't become the national motto until 1956, it first started appearing on the money in 1864, and originates, of course, in the fourth verse of the national anthem, ca 1814.
Mr. Raz bursts forth as a font of historical info.
Good morning sir!
I just get annoyed when people make pat pronouncements about things when they haven't looked at the history or legal precedent or whatever.  My fellow Christians have historically been really bad about doing this, but progressive Democrats have caught right up to them in the past three decades.

"In God We Trust" didn't "replace" E Pluribus Unum.  That was never officially a motto of the United States.
But did it not physically replace it on currency?
No.  Both appear on currency.  Except when the Mint screws up and omits both, triggering hysteria among religious people.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »

Today is Thursday, July 30, the 212th day of 2020. There are 154 days left in the year.

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a measure making “In God We Trust” the national motto, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, one).

Amen to that.
In that case, I take it back. . No but seriously, I'm God fearing and all but I feel like this contradicts separation of church and state.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you. 

Also, while it didn't become the national motto until 1956, it first started appearing on the money in 1864, and originates, of course, in the fourth verse of the national anthem, ca 1814.
Good morning sir!
I just get annoyed when people make pat pronouncements about things when they haven't looked at the history or legal precedent or whatever.  My fellow Christians have historically been really bad about doing this, but progressive Democrats have caught right up to them in the past three decades.

"In God We Trust" didn't "replace" E Pluribus Unum.  That was never officially a motto of the United States.
In other words, ClemsonDave posted #FakeNews ?
Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be contradicted or violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you. 

I loves me a good edumaction. A lot of things happened in 1814, that doesn't make them correct. So now, GFY.

Also, you should know that I was kneeling while reading your post.
Why?  Were you nauseated or something?

No, being historical doesn't make things correct.  But when the SCOTUS says something is constitutional, it is.
Unless Trumpf disagrees... ;)
Or people against abortion.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

Mine was more a philosophical wish that separation of church and state was a concept that was actually followed. I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen.

And while we're at it, let's get churches, the NFL and Amazon to actually pay taxes.
What taxes do you think churches don't pay?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

All the ones the IRS has exempted them from?

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

No.  Both appear on currency.  Except when the Mint screws up and omits both, triggering hysteria among religious people.
Just do as the NWO say. OBEY! No GOD No Wall No USA at all. Or better do as NWA Fight the Power!

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

Better to just get rid of the IRS

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?
"Separation of Church and State" is a descriptor of a legal concept, not a law that can be contradicted or violated.  What you mean to suggest, perhaps, is that it "violates the establishment clause." But the Supreme Court has long held that it doesn't, which is to say, the SCOTUS says you're both wrong.  Not that I particularly care, mind you. 

I loves me a good edumaction. A lot of things happened in 1814, that doesn't make them correct. So now, GFY.

No, being historical doesn't make things correct.  But when the SCOTUS says something is constitutional, it is.
Or people who support gun control. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

Sure...and they are?

It's okay, general categories will do.  I won't make you be overly specific.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

But ecstasy in Numismatics circles.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

Sure...and they are?

In general - federal, state, local income and property.

By the way, LOLing at "won't make you be overly specific".

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »

did someone say 'ecstasy'?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Or people who support gun control.
"When in the course of human events, people REALLY don't want standard background checks..." ;)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »

did someone say 'ecstasy'?
A fine way to change topics.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »

Amen to that.
LALTS, you think?

Good morning sir!

Sure...and they are?

In general - federal, state, local income and property.

By the way, LOLing at "won't make you be overly specific".
In general, Federal is a categorical distinguisher, not a type of tax.  Types of federal tax would include "income taxes," "property taxes," "payroll taxes," "capital gains taxes," "estate taxes," and a few other lesser-known and infrequently used types.  There is no federal sales tax, nor property tax. 

The only federal tax that Churches are exempt from is income tax, and the exemption doesn't cover income unrelated to direct church ministry.  Basically, what goes in the offering plate or gets provided to the church via a fundraiser is exempt from federal tax.  Income from unrelated business is not exempt.  Churches are not exempt from any other type of federal taxes, with the exception that official clergy meeting some specific criteria get to skip some of the payroll taxes (Social Security), but they also don't get the benefit of those either.  So that's a wash.

In this regard, churches are no different than any other charitable organization, or any other non-profit entity.  So...if you're going to tax churches, then you also have to tax the NAACP, the United Way, March of Dimes, MDA, yadda, yadda, yadda.  And the reason that we don't tax those entities is twofold - they provide a service to the community, and there isn't a lot of income left over to tax.  It'll cost more to impose and collect the taxes than will be gained.

State property tax exemptions only go so far as well, and if you don't think those taxes are fair then you're just not a progressive.  Imposing property taxes on churches fails to recognize that they are non-profit organizations.  So it is a frequent case that the property the church sits on is more valuable than the income-producing capability of the organization (remember, churches can only produce income so many ways before running into Unrelated Business taxation).  So property taxes on churches would inherently be regressive in nature.

So...what great national windfall are you expecting to collect by taxing charitable non-profits?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9