Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1939, Pope Pius XII delivered a Christmas Eve address in which he offered a five-point program for peace and denounced "premeditated aggressions."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt appointed Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower supreme commander of Allied forces in Europe as part of Operation Overlord.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1951, Gian Carlo Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors," the first opera written specifically for television, was first broadcast by NBC-TV.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1968, the Apollo 8 astronauts, orbiting the moon, read passages from the Old Testament Book of Genesis during a Christmas Eve telecast.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1974, Cyclone Tracy began battering the Australian city of Darwin, resulting in widespread damage and causing some 65 deaths.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1984, actor Peter Lawford, 61, died in Los Angeles.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1994, militants hijacked an Air France Airbus A-300 at the Algiers airport; three passengers were slain during the siege before all four hijackers were killed by French commandos in Marseille two days later.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1999, five hijackers seized an Indian Airlines jet, forcing the aircraft on a journey across South Asia and into the Middle East. (The 8-day ordeal resulted in the death of one passenger and India's release of three jailed pro-Kashmir militants in exchange for the rest of the hostages.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Ten years ago: Bearing gifts of praise and encouragement, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld paid a surprise Christmas Eve visit to U.S. troops in some of the most dangerous areas of Iraq. Afghan President Hamid Karzai (HAH'-mihd KAHR'-zeye) swore in a new Cabinet. The international Cassini spacecraft launched a probe on a three-week free-fall toward Saturn's mysterious moon Titan.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Five years ago: The Senate passed health care legislation, 60-39, in the chamber's first Christmas Eve vote since 1895. Sean Goldman, a 9-year-old boy at the center of a five-year custody battle on two continents, was finally turned over to his American father, David Goldman, in Brazil. A woman jumped barriers in St. Peter's Basilica and knocked down Pope Benedict XVI as he was walking down the main aisle to begin Christmas Eve Mass; the pope was unhurt.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

One year ago: In Egypt, a car bomb ripped through a security headquarters in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, killing 16 people, almost all policemen. Britain's Queen Elizabeth II granted a posthumous pardon to code-breaker Alan Turing, who was convicted of homosexual behavior in the 1950s. Pope Francis lauded Jesus' humble beginning as a poor and vulnerable baby as he celebrated his first Christmas Eve Mass as pontiff in St. Peter's Basilica. Florida State redshirt freshman quarterback Jameis Winston was named The Associated Press national player of the year.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Today's Birthdays: Songwriter-bandleader Dave Bartholomew is 94. Author Mary Higgins Clark is 87. Federal health official Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., is 74. Recording company executive Mike Curb is 70. Rock singer-musician Lemmy (Motorhead) is 69. Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., is 68. Actor Grand L. Bush is 59. Actor Clarence Gilyard is 59. Actress Stephanie Hodge is 58. The president of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai (HAH'-mihd KAHR'-zeye), is 57. Rock musician Ian Burden (The Human League) is 57. Actor Anil Kapoor is 55. Actor Wade Williams is 53. Designer Kate Spade is 52. Rock singer Mary Ramsey (10,000 Maniacs) is 51. Actor Mark Valley is 50. Actor Diedrich Bader is 48. Actor Amaury Nolasco is 44. Singer Ricky Martin is 43. Author Stephenie Meyer is 41. "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest is 40. Actor Michael Raymond-James (TV: "Once Upon a Time") is 37. Rock singer Louis Tomlinson (One Direction) is 23.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Thought for Today: "To perceive Christmas through its wrapping becomes more difficult with every year." — E.B. White, American author and journalist (1899-1985).

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Feeling Your Age
-------------------------

Two elderly gentlemen from a retirement center were sitting on a bench under a tree when one turns to the other and says: "John, I'm 83 years old now and I'm just full of aches and pains. I know you're about my age. How do you feel?"

John says, "I feel just like a newborn baby."

"Really!? Like a newborn baby!?"

"Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just pooped my pants."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Time to hit the road for work guys, enjoy your day.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17