Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 10:45:53 AM »

Happy Friday guys.
We made it!
It was touch and go for a while but we made it, indeed.
It took until 11:00 last night, and I was clocked in at 6:30 this morning.  But we might be making it.
Good for you.  You do need to call it at 4:00 today however.  Happy hour calling.  Morning Razputin.
Ain't gonna happen, but I might make it by 5pm.  Goin' chootin' after work.  Taking out the scary, black, fully semiautomatic, high capacity, extreme powered killing machines.  Morning, Dave.
I'm heading to the range myself tomorrow.
Therapy, guaranteed.

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm done with my meetings. Which means I can actually get some work done today. This is such a rare occurrence that I'm giddy with excitement.
Hell, I'll have to celebrate with a cigar.
Now I KNOW 2020 is an alternate reality.
I have chosen a La Palina Red Label for the occasion.
Great smoke production on this medium bodied La Palina. I never said 10 Earth minutes. Well, better late than never.

Good for you Tony, I'm proud of you!

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm done with my meetings. Which means I can actually get some work done today. This is such a rare occurrence that I'm giddy with excitement.
Hell, I'll have to celebrate with a cigar.
Now I KNOW 2020 is an alternate reality.
I have chosen a La Palina Red Label for the occasion.
Great smoke production on this medium bodied La Palina. I never said 10 Earth minutes. Well, better late than never.

Good for you Tony, I'm proud of you!
Technically, I'm on a call. But I put it on hold and stepped outside. They weren't needing my participation anyways.

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »

This is my own little piece of history and my most prized possession.  She came out the Colt's factory in April of 1943, headed for war.  I bought her about ten years ago for cheap. Pulled her apart and the numbers all matched.  But her collector value is gone because some yahoo had her plated. I've been told the plating is nickel.  I've also been told it's bumper chrome, and based on the way it's peeling I tend to believe the latter.  But that isn't going to matter anymore.  Because after years of hemming and hawing and choking on what it will cost, I finally bit the bullet and shipped it to Turnbull Restorations.  She'll be gone a year, and it's likely to cost most of $3K.  But they say they can return her to the condition she was in when she left the factory.  We should all be so lucky.

I've given her a name:  Rona, in honor of the virus that led to me getting the overtime that will pay for her restoration.
Good luck with that.  Why would anyone do something like that to a fine piece?
Probably to cover up rust, pitting, and botched attempts to remove them.  Or maybe someone saw a shiny one in the movies and thought it was cool, and Chuy down the body shop said, "I can make it chiny for you, Homes."  We'll find out when they strip off the plating.  But Doug Turnbull owns all the vintage equipment, roll dies, and punches from Colt and the government to fix it all.  Says he probably has period-correct grips for it.

She won't end up as glamorous as many of the 1911s Turnbull does, because he's famous for doing the amazing charcoal bluing and fancy walnut grips that were put on these guns up until mid-1941.  But this one was made for war, and came out of the factory Parkerized and with Bakelite grips.  So she'll be more sturdy and handsome, in a martial way, than glamorous.
Sounds just a little bit sexy... ;)

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm done with my meetings. Which means I can actually get some work done today. This is such a rare occurrence that I'm giddy with excitement.
Hell, I'll have to celebrate with a cigar.
Now I KNOW 2020 is an alternate reality.
I have chosen a La Palina Red Label for the occasion.
Great smoke production on this medium bodied La Palina. I never said 10 Earth minutes. Well, better late than never.

Good for you Tony, I'm proud of you!
Technically, I'm on a call. But I put it on hold and stepped outside. They weren't needing my participation anyways.
You can talk on the phone outside...you can also work on the computer outside.  what is the conflict?

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm done with my meetings. Which means I can actually get some work done today. This is such a rare occurrence that I'm giddy with excitement.
Hell, I'll have to celebrate with a cigar.
Now I KNOW 2020 is an alternate reality.
I have chosen a La Palina Red Label for the occasion.
Great smoke production on this medium bodied La Palina. I never said 10 Earth minutes. Well, better late than never.

Good for you Tony, I'm proud of you!
Technically, I'm on a call. But I put it on hold and stepped outside. They weren't needing my participation anyways.
You can talk on the phone outside...you can also work on the computer outside.  what is the conflict?
No thank you. This is MY time.

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

By the way, it appears my forgotten/lost humidor kept the cigars in decent shape. Goes to show you there isn't too much need to fuss with 'em.

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »

I don't want to jinx myself but I'm done with my meetings. Which means I can actually get some work done today. This is such a rare occurrence that I'm giddy with excitement.
Hell, I'll have to celebrate with a cigar.
Now I KNOW 2020 is an alternate reality.
I have chosen a La Palina Red Label for the occasion.
Great smoke production on this medium bodied La Palina. I never said 10 Earth minutes. Well, better late than never.

Good for you Tony, I'm proud of you!
Technically, I'm on a call. But I put it on hold and stepped outside. They weren't needing my participation anyways.
You can talk on the phone outside...you can also work on the computer outside.  what is the conflict?
No thank you. This is MY time.
Lol, that's the spirit.

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »

[...]

and to think I'm hesitating spend $500 on a S&W.

sweet though Raz.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »

Texas Sheriff's Exam
  A young Texan grew up wanting to be a lawman.
He grew up big, 6' 2", strong as a longhorn, and fast as a mustang. He could shoot a bottle cap tossed in the air at 40 paces.
When he finally came of age, he applied to where he had only dreamed of working: the West Texas Sheriff's Department.

After a series of tests and interviews, the Chief Deputy finally called him into his office for the young man's last interview.

The Chief Deputy said, "You're a big strong kid and you can really shoot. So far your qualifications all look good, but we have, what you might call, an "Attitude Suitability Test", that you must take before you can be accepted.  We just don't let anyone carry our badge, son."

Then, sliding a service pistol and a box of ammo across the desk, the Chief said, "Take this pistol and go out and shoot: six illegal aliens, six ambulance-chasing lawyers, six 'meth dealers, six Muslim extremists, six Democrats, and a rabbit."

"Why the rabbit?" queried the applicant.

"You pass," said the Chief Deputy. "When can you start?"

YOU GOTTA LOVE TEXAS !!!!!

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »

Speaking of Texas:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued new orders Friday morning rolling back the state's reopening plan as Covid-19 cases surge.

As part of the executive order all bars — establishments that get more than 51% of their gross receipts from alcohol sales in Texas — will be forced to close by noon June 26.

"At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is driven by certain types of activities, including Texas congregating in bars," Abbott said in an announcement.

Meanwhile, Abbott's order allows restaurants to remain open for dine-in service, but it limits occupancy to 50% of indoor capacity. Previously, under phase three of the state's reopening plan, restaurants could operate at up to 75% of their normal capacity.

Oh well, don't know if you don't try.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »

[...]

I hesitate spending $200 on ammo.  Think how many guns and cartridges I could get for $3K.  But these are my peak earning years, I've got a side hustle, and I've been earning overtime, which amounts to "found money" because I'm white collar exempt and extra hours are usually  just part of the job.  So, the car loan is paid off, the trailer loan is paid off, only debt I have is my house and I'm paying $600 extra principal on that every month.  And I've got an emergency fund that could support me and the fam for six months or more.  So, even the financial advisor says this is the ideal time to do this, and probably the last opportunity I'll get, being ten years from retirement. It's worth a few months of not buying guns or cigars.

And it's a piece of history that my grandchildren will be able to touch.

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »

Speaking of Texas:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued new orders Friday morning rolling back the state's reopening plan as Covid-19 cases surge.

As part of the executive order all bars — establishments that get more than 51% of their gross receipts from alcohol sales in Texas — will be forced to close by noon June 26.

"At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is driven by certain types of activities, including Texas congregating in bars," Abbott said in an announcement.

Meanwhile, Abbott's order allows restaurants to remain open for dine-in service, but it limits occupancy to 50% of indoor capacity. Previously, under phase three of the state's reopening plan, restaurants could operate at up to 75% of their normal capacity.

Oh well, don't know if you don't try.
You can't limit my rights to where I eat and drink.  It's in the Constitution!

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2020, 01:29:32 PM »

Dean - you seeing any of that dust storm action yet where you are?

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2020, 01:30:15 PM »

Speaking of Texas:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued new orders Friday morning rolling back the state's reopening plan as Covid-19 cases surge.

As part of the executive order all bars — establishments that get more than 51% of their gross receipts from alcohol sales in Texas — will be forced to close by noon June 26.

"At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is driven by certain types of activities, including Texas congregating in bars," Abbott said in an announcement.

Meanwhile, Abbott's order allows restaurants to remain open for dine-in service, but it limits occupancy to 50% of indoor capacity. Previously, under phase three of the state's reopening plan, restaurants could operate at up to 75% of their normal capacity.

Oh well, don't know if you don't try.
You can't limit my rights to where I eat and drink.  It's in the Constitution!
Yeah, but you know, #AllLivesMatter and whatnot.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6