CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 5/25/2020 - Memorial Day  (Read 753 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
5/25/2020 - Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2020, 12:01:06 AM »

Happy Memorial Day!  Today, let's enjoy our families, cookouts, libations and cigars too.  But let us not forget to remember the people who died while serving in our country's armed forces.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
Re: 5/25/2020 - Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:23:22 AM »

good morning.
"let us not forget".

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »

Morning Dean and back to bed Tony.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »

Today is Monday, May 25, the 146th day of 2020. There are 220 days left in the year. This is Memorial Day.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy told Congress: “I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.”

On this date:
In 1787, the Constitutional Convention began at the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) in Philadelphia after enough delegates had shown up for a quorum.
In 1810, Argentina began its revolt against Spanish rule with the forming of the Primera Junta in Buenos Aires.

In 1935, Babe Ruth hit his last three career home runs [–] Nos. 712, 713 and 714 [–] for the Boston Braves in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. (The Pirates won, 11-7.)
In 1946, Transjordan (now Jordan) became a kingdom as it proclaimed its new monarch, Abdullah I.

In 1959, the U.S. Supreme Court, in State Athletic Commission v. Dorsey, struck down a Louisiana law prohibiting interracial boxing matches. (The case had been brought by Joseph Dorsey Jr., a black professional boxer.)
In 1964, the U.S. Supreme Court, in Griffin v. County School Board of Prince Edward County, ordered the Virginia county to reopen its public schools, which officials had closed in an attempt to circumvent the Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka desegregation ruling.

In 1965, Muhammad Ali knocked out Sonny Liston in the first round of their world heavyweight title rematch in Lewiston, Maine. (Ali’s victory generated controversy over whether he’d truly connected when he sent Liston crashing to the canvas with a right to the head, or whether it was a “phantom punch,” implying that the fight had been fixed.)
In 1992, Jay Leno made his debut as host of NBC’s “Tonight Show,” succeeding Johnny Carson.

In 2005, Texas Supreme Court Justice Priscilla Owen won Senate confirmation as a federal appeals judge after a ferocious four-year battle.
In 2006, former Enron Corp. chiefs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were convicted in Houston of conspiracy and fraud for the company’s downfall. (Lay died in July 2006 from heart disease and his convictions were vacated; Skilling was resentenced to 14 years in prison after his original 24-year sentence was overturned.)

In 2008, NASA’s Phoenix Mars Lander arrived on the Red Planet to begin searching for evidence of water; the spacecraft confirmed the presence of water ice at its landing site.
In 2018, Harvey Weinstein was charged in New York with rape and another sex felony in the first prosecution to result from the wave of allegations against him; the once-powerful movie producer turned himself in to face the charges and was released on $1 million bail after a court appearance. (Weinstein was convicted of rape and sexual assault; he is serving a 23-year prison sentence.)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to boost security along the U.S.-Mexico border. NFL owners voted to hold the 2014 Super Bowl at Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Nicole Scherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls and her professional dance partner, Derek Hough, won the 10th season of ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.”

Five years ago: On Memorial Day, President Barack Obama saluted Americans who had died in battle, telling listeners at Arlington National Cemetery the country must “never stop trying to fully repay them” for their sacrifices. Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter.

One year ago: President Donald Trump opened a state visit to Japan by needling the American ally over its trade imbalance with the United States. The Toronto Raptors reached the NBA finals for the first time in the team’s history after beating the Milwaukee Bucks 100-94 in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals. The raucous social satire “Parasite,” a South Korean film about a poor family of hustlers who find jobs with a wealthy family, won the top award at the Cannes Film Festival. Danish-born socialite Claus von Bulow, who was convicted but later acquitted of trying to kill his wealthy wife in two closely-watched trials, died in London; he was 92.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Actress Ann Robinson is 91.
Former White House news secretary Ron Nessen is 86.
Country singer-songwriter Tom T. Hall is 84.
Actor Sir Ian McKellen is 81.
Country singer Jessi Colter is 77.
Actress-singer Leslie Uggams is 77.
Movie director and Muppeteer Frank Oz is 76.
Actress Karen Valentine is 73.
Actress Jacki Weaver is 73.
Rock singer Klaus Meine (The Scorpions) is 72.
Actress Patti D’Arbanville is 69.
Playwright Eve Ensler is 67.
Musician Cindy Cashdollar is 65.
Actress Connie Sellecca is 65.
Rock singer-musician Paul Weller is 62.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., is 60.
Actor-comedian Mike Myers is 57.
Actor Matt Borlenghi is 53.
Actor Joseph Reitman is 52.
Rock musician Glen Drover is 51.
Actress Anne Heche (haych) is 51.
Actresses Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush (TV: “Little House on the Prairie”) are 50.
Actor-comedian Jamie Kennedy is 50.
Actress Octavia Spencer is 50.
Actor Justin Henry is 49.
Rapper Daz Dillinger is 47.
Actress Molly Sims is 47.
Actress Erinn Hayes is 44.
Actor Cillian Murphy is 44.
Actor Ethan Suplee (soo-PLEE’) is 44.
Rock musician Todd Whitener is 42.
Actor Corbin Allred is 41.
Actress-singer Lauren Frost is 35.
Actress Ebonee (cq) Noel is 30.
Musician Guy Lawrence (Disclosure) is 29.
Olympic gold medal gymnast Aly Raisman is 26.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »

Thought for Today: “History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn’t there.” [–] Author unknown.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »

If GolfinDave logs on today, at the Devil, Genesis Oscuro's, 10/$33 ending today.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »

Good morning, Dean and Dave.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »

Morning Dean and back to bed Tony.
Back to bed is right! Trying to make the most of my four day weekend.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »

Good morning

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »

The grill is all cleaned up. Could use some new grates. Don't believe I had used it in two years. Have I mentioned that I'm not really an outdoorsy guy? It looked like some squirrel had been calling it home for a spell.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »

The grill is all cleaned up. Could use some new grates. Don't believe I had used it in two years. Have I mentioned that I'm not really an outdoorsy guy? It looked like some squirrel had been calling it home for a spell.
kind of like your humidor. 🤣

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »

hello Dave, David, and Tony.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »

kind of like your humidor.
No squirrels in my humidors. I just checked.
Pages: [1]