Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

  • Administrator
3/13/2020
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:17:00 AM »

It's Friday! Any deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:45:47 AM »

Can't sleep, but I am trying things on the computer that don't cost money.
hence CigarBanter.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 01:18:19 AM »

I thought I would regale you with my several attempts to retrieve some of my 401-K money from
The NYC Deferred Compensation Plan(Hencforth DCP).  I retired in August, and submitted the paperwork in early October for
an Amount Certain(their lingo) of $6,000 ASAP, and to set up a quarterly distribution of $3000 starting in January of 2020. Let me say luckily, I did not roll previous job's 401-Ks in to the NYC plan (Thank God).  With them it's a simple phone call. they verify it's me, and the money is either in my checking account or a check arrives at the house in 3 business days.  Not so with the DCP, there it is a 4 page form, that has to be notarized, before you begin a supposed 3 week period, for them to process it.  Now they make you provide them with your phone number and email but they won't use that, for any issues.  Toward the end of November I get the form back, saying I filled it out incorrectly. I can't see how as the instructions are only 23 pages long, and certain sections are very confusing.  So I  make the suggested corrections, submit a newly notarized form, and send it in.  Middle of January the form comes back new and more interesting mistakes, did I mention there is a two hour hold if you call in with questions.  I figure there is too many ways to screw up the form if you try to do two thing at once.  So I now in the 3rd week of January I submit a new 4 page notarized document, Just asking for 14K before taxes are taken out.  I called last week, and they say it is taking about 30 days to process the forms, They admit they recieved it on January 26th, and scanned it in to the system on January 29th(when they start the clock). I said it is March 5th, February 29th was 30 days, where is my money, why are you holding it hostage?  The person replies everything looks good on this form I dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's, The money should be in my checking account in a day or two, and he will ask to have the form expedited in distribution, since I have been at this since mid October.  Yesterday was March 12, so I called in while sitting in dialysis, and was told I wold get a call back in 110 minutes.  I get the call back, and I ask where is my money.  Sir there is a note on the form, that the date you signed it is different from the date it was notarized.  Impossible you have to sign it in front of the notary.  it was signed on January 21st, and mailed that day 10 minutes later. no, sir, you signed it October 21st 2020.  instead of 01/21/20 it reads 10/21/20. That person can not admit that I did not time travel into the future to sign this form.  So a Supervisor will call me within 72 hours.  The 2nd form went out first week of March to get quarterly direct deposits, but they aren't admitting that they recieved that one yet.  ::)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 02:58:22 AM »

I thought we had been hit by a Russian bot but it turned out only to be Flip.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 03:07:11 AM »

[...]
Wowza. That's ridiculous. However, in retrospect, I wish some of my previous 401Ks were more difficult to empty out. Maybe they're doing it for your own good.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 03:15:14 AM »

Good evening, cb.
Evening Antnee.  You guys still doing your weekend at Splitrock?  Need me a dose of tail gating.
Not exactly. I believe LTG and Sfish are renting a place for CF weekend near there and they may even attend some of the side events but I don't know anyone who is going to Splitrock itself.

Charlie and I did it for about 10 years but now we just get together and do something cigar related for the day (Saturday). I miss it though.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:52:43 AM »

[...]
Yeah don't let me have my money when the market is high, wait till it tanks...

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »

[...]
There's a huge sheesh in the making. Sounds like quite the ride they're taking you for.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:19:34 AM »

Good evening, cb.
Evening Antnee.  You guys still doing your weekend at Splitrock?  Need me a dose of tail gating.
Not exactly. I believe LTG and Sfish are renting a place for CF weekend near there and they may even attend some of the side events but I don't know anyone who is going to Splitrock itself.

Charlie and I did it for about 10 years but now we just get together and do something cigar related for the day (Saturday). I miss it though.
This is correct.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 06:49:49 AM »

[...]
Oh that's another good point. I wasn't thinking of that. I'm sorry, Flip.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 06:51:02 AM »

Good morning, Dave.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:57 AM »

Good morning, Dave.
Morning, Brother Tony. Planning on any TP hoarding today? :D

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 07:18:27 AM »

[...]
I would say as soon as you get this distribution done, start the process to close the account and roll it over to a private 401 K where you can get normal access.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 07:20:31 AM »

[...]
Think that's just a nasty coincidence as no one saw this coming.  But a good one as far as conspiracy theories go.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 07:22:26 AM »

Morning Flip, Tony and LTG.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6