Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]

Geo

  • Founding Member
  • Newbie Status
  • What is this place?
Re: 6/9/2014
« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

Yikes!!! How about 3 pages at C.I. and 2 of them are Chip's morning announcements!!!!! Stick a fork in her...she is done!!
Hi Jeff.  2 nice OT wins for the Kings.  I hope they close it out in NY.

Sheesh.  Anti NY bias everywhere.
NY is great. Of course, I have never been there. It may be shitty as all hell!

it is shitty, I've been there.
Manure: ...  An interesting fact Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!  Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening  After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.  Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.  You probably did not know the true history of this word.  Neither did I.  I had always thought it was a golf term...
Nice story, but not correct. Use snopes
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp
Thanks, Ken.
hey sly, like you, I though the SHIT acronym was true….better story anyway..
Logged

Geo

  • Founding Member
  • Newbie Status
  • What is this place?
Re: 6/9/2014
« Reply #571 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

calling it a night, have a good evening all...
Logged

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #572 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »

Manure: ...  An interesting fact Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!  Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening  After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.  Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.  You probably did not know the true history of this word.  Neither did I.  I had always thought it was a golf term...-----Sly-----Evening Sly!  Sorry, but that story is a crock of, well, shit.  The word comes from the old Low German word "schite", meaning dung, back in the 14th century.  That acronym story started circulating on the internet in 2002.
Thanks for the correction, KC, especially before I forward it to others.  I figured if anyone knew about life aboard sea worthy ships, you would.
KC knows a lot about shit.... I mean ships!
Logged

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »

calling it a night, have a good evening all...
gnite George
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »

calling it a night, have a good evening all...
Good night, Geo.   ;)
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/9/2014
« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Anyone else besides me going to hang around to see if we get a 2 fer Crappy Tuesday or a Jam?
Logged

glassken

« Reply #576 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »

Not to brag, but I live and work on a floating installation. I have several certificates: 46 CFR 11.470 - Officer endorsements as offshore installation manager, TWIC, ABS-Abled Body Seaman, BCO-Ballast Control Officer, Radar Observer course.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/9/2014
« Reply #577 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:59 PM »

Anyone else besides me going to hang around to see if we get a 2 fer Crappy Tuesday or a Jam?
Sorry KC... I have to get up early tomorrow, so it's off to bed for me.  Good night all...!
Logged

glassken

« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »

Not to brag, but I live and work on a floating installation. I have several certificates: 46 CFR 11.470 - Officer endorsements as offshore installation manager, TWIC, ABS-Abled Body Seaman, BCO-Ballast Control Officer, Radar Observer course.
That was funny as shit/ship! "KC knows a lot about shit.... I mean ships!" Good, fred-Bob!
Logged

glassken

« Reply #579 on: June 09, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »

Anyone else besides me going to hang around to see if we get a 2 fer Crappy Tuesday or a Jam?
ill hang for a minute, or so.
Logged

glassken

« Reply #580 on: June 09, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »

Anyone else besides me going to hang around to see if we get a 2 fer Crappy Tuesday or a Jam?
Sorry KC... I have to get up early tomorrow, so it's off to bed for me.  Good night all...!
Later, BD. Oh, and your wife does not understand me either!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]