Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »

I finally broke down and bought a new lawn mower.  After a little research, I found there's just not any 5 star rated lawn mowers... ugh..!  4 stars yes.  I wanted to get a Honda, but they are expensive, and I saw a few bad reviews with them too...  I finally bought a Toro Rear Self Propelled 7.25 torque (not hp like the good old days...) 163cc Briggs and Stratton.  I've only used it once, but (knock on wood), it's really nice.  It has a spring loaded handle, so when you push it, it will go at what ever pace you are walking.  I pushed it in all the way and it popped a wheely and I couldn't keep up with it.  It normally takes me about 45 min. a huff'in and a puff'in to do the backyard, but this did it in 20 min.  I also bought some SeaFoam gas treatment for the gas.  Everyone seems to like SeaFoam, so I got it.  I think you have to use a gas treatment if you use gas with 10% Ethanol.  Today's products are better and worse at the same time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycler-22-in-SmartStow-Personal-Pace-Variable-Speed-High-Wheel-Drive-Gas-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-20340/206509121
My last lawnmower was a Toro from Home Depot, had it for about 3 years and performance was excellent.

FYI:  before that Toro I had a Honda that cost almost double what the Toro cost and it was the worst modern lawnmower I have ever owned.

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2019, 07:02:24 AM »

Good morning, SCDave, Dean, LTG, and Bad Dad?? I think maybe I got soap in my eyes, let me check that out again...
Good morning Tony ....  I just thought I'd stop by and try to keep in touch.
You're always welcome. You are giving me quite a bit to read.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/9/2019
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »

[...]

Thank you for the info ....  The yard did look rather nice after using it.  I put my old lawn mower that wasn't running in the front yard with a FREE sign on it.  I went into the bathroom, and when I came back out my wife asked, "where did you put the old lawn mower..?  I put it in the front yard next to the sidewalk.  She said, "I don't see it...?"  We went outside and some one had already picked it up with in about 10 minutes.  My wife said, "I see people putting free stuff out all the time, but I've never seen anything go as fast at that..!  Hopefully some one that tinkers on small engines will get some use out of it, or make some money ...  At least it's not my headache anymore..   That's just what I needed, "One less headache...!"   :)

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »

Happy 5th Monday!

cooking day. corn beef, potatos, carrots, onions, celery.
be here by 4pm or eat somewhere else.
Sheesh, I thought early Senior dining was just at restaurants...

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »

[...]

Be careful not to take a break and leave the new mower out in the front yard!

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 07:28:29 AM »

Morning MidnightFlierBean, SCDave, FloDave, GuestAppearanceBD, Mr. Mayor, EarlyBirdSpecialDean.

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »

Today is Friday, Aug. 9, the 221st day of 2019. There are 144 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:
On August 9, 1945, three days after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, a U.S. B-29 Superfortress code-named Bockscar dropped a nuclear device ("Fat Man") over Nagasaki, killing an estimated 74,000 people.

On this date:
In 1854, Henry David Thoreau's "Walden," which described Thoreau's experiences while living near Walden Pond in Massachusetts, was first published.
In 1902, Edward VII was crowned king of Britain following the death of his mother, Queen Victoria.
In 1910, the U.S. Patent Office granted Alva J. Fisher of the Hurley Machine Co. a patent for an electrically powered washing machine.
In 1936, Jesse Owens won his fourth gold medal at the Berlin Olympics as the United States took first place in the 400-meter relay.
In 1944, 258 African-American sailors based at Port Chicago, California, refused to load a munitions ship following a cargo vessel explosion that killed 320 men, many of them black. (Fifty of the sailors were convicted of mutiny, fined and imprisoned.)
In 1969, actress Sharon Tate and four other people were found brutally slain at Tate's Los Angeles home; cult leader Charles Manson and a group of his followers were later convicted of the crime.
In 1974, Vice President Gerald R. Ford became the nation's 38th chief executive as President Richard Nixon's resignation took effect.
In 1982, a federal judge in Washington ordered John W. Hinckley Jr., who'd been acquitted of shooting President Ronald Reagan and three others by reason of insanity, committed to a mental hospital.
In 1985, a federal judge in Norfolk, Virginia, found retired Navy officer Arthur J. Walker guilty of seven counts of spying for the Soviet Union. (Walker, who was sentenced to life, died in prison in 2014 at the age of 79.)
In 1988, President Ronald Reagan nominated Lauro Cavazos (kah-VAH'-zohs) to be secretary of education; Cavazos became the first Hispanic to serve in the Cabinet.
In 1995, Jerry Garcia, lead singer of the Grateful Dead, died in Forest Knolls, California, of a heart attack at age 53.
In 2004, Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols, addressing a court for the first time, asked victims of the blast for forgiveness as a judge sentenced him to 161 consecutive life sentences.

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama flew to Guadalajara, Mexico, for a two-day speed summit with Mexican President Felipe Calderon (fay-LEE'-pay kahl-duh-ROHN') and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Iraqi authorities arrested British contractor Danny Fitzsimons in the shooting deaths of two co-workers in Baghdad's protected Green Zone. (Fitzsimons was convicted by an Iraqi court in 2011 and sentenced to 20 years in prison.)

Five years ago: Michael Brown Jr., an unarmed 18-year-old black man, was shot to death by a police officer following an altercation in Ferguson, Missouri; Brown's death led to sometimes-violent protests in Ferguson and other U.S. cities, spawning a national "Black Lives Matter" movement.

One year ago: Vice President Mike Pence announced plans for a new, separate U.S. Space Force as a sixth military service by 2020. The parents of first lady Melania Trump were sworn in as U.S. citizens; they had been living in the country as permanent residents. Player demonstrations again took place at several early NFL preseason games, with two Philadelphia Eagles players raising their fists during the national anthem. Evacuation orders expanded to 20,000 as a wildfire that had been intentionally set moved perilously close to homes in Southern California.

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2019, 07:38:19 AM »

Today's Birthdays:

Basketball Hall of Famer Bob Cousy is 91.
Actress Cynthia Harris is 85.
Tennis Hall of Famer Rod Laver is 81.
Jazz musician Jack DeJohnette is 77.
Comedian-director David Steinberg is 77.
Actor Sam Elliott is 75.
Singer Barbara Mason is 72.
College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player John Cappelletti is 67.
College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player Doug Williams is 64.
Actress Melanie Griffith is 62.
Actress Amanda Bearse is 61.
Rapper Kurtis Blow is 60.
Hockey Hall of Famer Brett Hull is 55.
TV host Hoda Kotb (HOH'-duh KAHT'-bee) is 55.
Actor Pat Petersen is 53.
Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders is 52.
Actress Gillian Anderson is 51.
Actor Eric Bana is 51.
Producer-director McG (aka Joseph McGinty Nichol) is 51.
NHL player-turned-coach Rod Brind'Amour is 49.
TV anchor Chris Cuomo is 49.
Actor Thomas Lennon is 49.
Rock musician Arion Salazar is 49.
Rapper Mack 10 is 48.
Actress Nikki Schieler Ziering is 48.
Latin rock singer Juanes is 47.
Actress Liz Vassey is 47.
Actor Kevin McKidd is 46.
Actress Rhona Mitra (ROH'-nuh MEE'-truh) is 44.
Actor Texas Battle is 43.
 Actress Jessica Capshaw is 43.
Actress Ashley Johnson is 36.
Actress Anna Kendrick is 34.

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »

Happy 5th Monday!

cooking day. corn beef, potatos, carrots, onions, celery.
be here by 4pm or eat somewhere else.
Sheesh, I thought early Senior dining was just at restaurants...
I have other plans tonight.

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »

Thought for Today: "Education is a private matter between the person and the world of knowledge and experience, and has little to do with school or college." — Lillian Smith, American writer-social critic (1897-1966).
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/9/2019
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2019, 07:50:45 AM »

I'm heading back to bed....  Happy Friday Everyone...!    Mmmmmm, today is Friday isn't it...?

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »

Just had me a little morning  nap, ready for the day now.

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »

Happy 5th Monday!

cooking day. corn beef, potatos, carrots, onions, celery.
be here by 4pm or eat somewhere else.
Sheesh, I thought early Senior dining was just at restaurants...
I have other plans tonight.
I can only imagine.

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »

Happy 5th Monday!

cooking day. corn beef, potatos, carrots, onions, celery.
be here by 4pm or eat somewhere else.
Sheesh, I thought early Senior dining was just at restaurants...
I have other plans tonight.
I can only imagine.
Attitude Adjustment meeting.
Logged