Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »

Afternoon Daves, Dean, and SportingSpectatorTony.  90% rain chance revised to 50% this morning, and now they changed it back to 90%.  Fk'ers.

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

Good Thing - Bad Thing for us but we were aware of it in advance and will ultimately be winners. When we bought this condo there was a $14 million class action construction defect law suit against the developers allowing us to buy this place for just about 50% of what it sold for new.  We knew we could join the “class members” to prevent our being stuck with our share of the reconstruction costs but there was a risk of not coming out very well in the suit. While damage (stucco issues)was very significant there was no where near $14 Million in repairs needed, in fact that would be close to enough to raze all 3 buildings and build new ones.

Well we got a $6.3 million settlement about a month ago and had a presentation Thursday by the first well qualified contractor interested in doing the work.  It is a massive project that will take 12-15 months with average working time on each building of 4 months plus weather delays and those with end units (24 of those) will have to move out for a good while, fortunately I have a middle unit.  One building is significantly worse than the others and fortunately that is not my building.  We may have to secure things (as opposed to actually moving out) and leave for a week or two while they do our balcony but not a big deal we can just stay at the boys house and/or take a vacation somewhere.  Probably be early next spring before they get to us.

Now the good - when all this is finished the value of our condo will almost immediately go up 75-125% as this is the only high end condo development on the river/waterway between here and Charleston.  That was what we were booking our bet on all along.
Overall sounds pretty darn good.
How many contractors will be heard from before a decision is reached.  Who on the HOA is making the final decision?  Hopefully they won't decide to try to do it on the cheap instead of doing it right.
Well HOA’s are HOA’s and brains and integrity are always an issue with most of them.  This is very specially work so a limited number of contractors that do it but there are at least two highly reputable ones and a 3rd one I don’t know anything about as of now.  I know one will likely be higher than the others because they are in Charleston but the other one I know about is doing a similar project except with 10 buildings not 3 about 20 miles up the waterway and he has a good reputation and would most likely be a good amount cheaper than one Charleston.  Have to wait for the 3rd ones presentation.  All three will offer 10-15 year bonded warranties.

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »

Afternoon Daves, Dean, and SportingSpectatorTony.  90% rain chance revised to 50% this morning, and now they changed it back to 90%.  Fk'ers.
Afternoon TexasWeatherBean

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »

Headed out to the balcony with a cut and ready Man O' War Ruination War Horse (Perfecto).

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

Headed out to the balcony with a cut and ready Man O' War Ruination War Horse (Perfecto).
Good but a very strong smoke, not recommended for a novice cigar smoker😀

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2019, 11:14:51 PM »

Novice cigar smoker lull?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]