Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama promised to crack down on companies "that ship jobs overseas" and duck U.S. taxes with offshore havens. Jeff Kepner, of Augusta, Ga., underwent the nation's first double-hand transplant at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Mexican officials lowered a swine flu alert level in their capital. Cleveland's LeBron James was named the NBA's MVP. Actor, comedian and director Dom DeLuise, 75, died in Santa Monica, Calif.

Five years ago: Eight acrobats were injured, most of them seriously, when a carabiner clip broke during an aerial hair-hanging stunt, sending the women plummeting to the ground during a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus show in Providence, Rhode Island. Sinn Fein (shin fayn) party leader Gerry Adams was released without charge after five days of police questioning over his alleged involvement in the decades-old IRA killing of a Belfast mother of 10, Jean McConville.

One year ago: President Donald Trump suggested that his newly-hired attorney Rudy Giuliani needed to "get his facts straight" about the hush money paid to porn actress Stormy Daniels just before the 2016 election; Giuliani had earlier said that Trump knew about the payment to Daniels made by his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, and that Trump had paid Cohen back. The Connecticut Supreme Court overturned the murder conviction of Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel in the 1975 bludgeoning death of a girl in Greenwich, finding that Skakel's trial attorney had failed to present evidence of an alibi. (The U.S. Supreme Court later left in place the Connecticut high court ruling.) Los Angeles Angels slugger Albert Pujols got his 3,000th hit, reaching the mark with a broken-bat single against the Seattle Mariners.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

Today's Birthdays:

The former president of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, is 91.
Katherine Jackson, matriarch of the Jackson musical family, is 89.
Jazz musician Ron Carter is 82.
Pulitzer Prize-winning political commentator George Will is 78.
Pop singer Peggy Santiglia Davison (The Angels) is 75.
Actor Richard Jenkins is 72.
Country singer Stella Parton is 70.
Actor-turned-clergyman Hilly Hicks is 69.
Irish musician Darryl Hunt (The Pogues) is 69.
Singer Jackie Jackson (The Jacksons) is 68.
Singer-actress Pia Zadora is 67.
Rhythm-and-blues singer Oleta Adams is 66.
Sen. Doug Jones, D-Ala., is 65.
Violinist Soozie Tyrell (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band) is 62.
Country singer Randy Travis is 60.
Actress Mary McDonough is 58.
Comedian Ana Gasteyer is 52.
Actor Will Arnett is 49.
Rock musician Mike Dirnt (Green Day) is 47.
Contemporary Christian singer Chris Tomlin is 47.
TV personality and fashion designer Kimora Lee Simmons is 44.
Rock musician Jose Castellanos is 42.
Sports reporter Erin Andrews is 41.
Singer Lance Bass ('N Sync) is 40.
Actress Ruth Negga is 38.
Rapper/singer Jidenna is 34.
Actor Alexander Gould is 25.
Country singer RaeLynn is 25.
Actress Amara (uh-MAH'-ruh) Miller is 19.
Actress Brooklynn Prince (Film: "The Florida Project") is nine.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »

Thought for Today: "The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it." — Franklin P. Jones, American journalist-humorist (1908-1980).

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »

good morning Dave. went ouside, lit a cigar, came back inside. damn cold! only 49° but there is a hell of a cold wind just cutting out there.
rehearsal dinner was something. people showed up uninvited. grooms father started getting upset. was nice meeting my future SIL parents and grand mother. my ex's side stayed friendly and was nice to see them. the ex walked in, looked at me, and walked right by me. she ignored me,until I finally walked up to her and gave her a hug, said something pleasant, and went back to the new inlaws.
wedding is at 10:30am and there will be people grumbling about how early and how cold it is I'm sure.
Interesting.  Can't say I've heard of folks showing up uninvited for a rehearsal dinner.  Who were they?  Did ya throw 'em out?
no idea who they were but friends of my daughter and she was gracious enough to welcome them.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »

should have packed my London Fog overcoat.
I told you...and you laughed at me...
I don't have sense enough to listen.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »

good morning Dave.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »

“PONCA”
Got that morning tug in, now I feel better!

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »

Morning SCDave and FatherOfTheBrideDean.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »

Morning SCDave and FatherOfTheBrideDean.
Morning ?Dave

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »

Nice CFest house this year.  Small number of folks but many cigars smoked, pork roll consumed golf participated in Thursday and hopefully this morning, and BroAndy provided the entertainment.

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »

good morning Dave. went ouside, lit a cigar, came back inside. damn cold! only 49° but there is a hell of a cold wind just cutting out there.
rehearsal dinner was something. people showed up uninvited. grooms father started getting upset. was nice meeting my future SIL parents and grand mother. my ex's side stayed friendly and was nice to see them. the ex walked in, looked at me, and walked right by me. she ignored me,until I finally walked up to her and gave her a hug, said something pleasant, and went back to the new inlaws.
wedding is at 10:30am and there will be people grumbling about how early and how cold it is I'm sure.
Interesting.  Can't say I've heard of folks showing up uninvited for a rehearsal dinner.  Who were they?  Did ya throw 'em out?
no idea who they were but friends of my daughter and she was gracious enough to welcome them.
Most generally the grooms family manages the rehearsal dinner

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »

South Carolina has flying turtles?  Maybe I need to rethink this move...

https://abc7news.com/turtle-crashes-through-mans-windshield-on-the-highway/5284167/

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »

[...]
I was told to stay out of it, the the brides father wanted to take care of it, so I just minded my own business.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

[...]
Good choice.  But what kind of friends show up at a rehearsal dinner uninvited?  Wedding, fine, but rehearsal and reception, just bad taste.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »

[...]
I'm confused.  I thought you were the brides father?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5