Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

A few interesting facts I picked up yesterday: (per our instructors)

The two most gun friendly National big-box stores are Sears😟 and Dillard’s

The most self defense gun friendly State is probably Utah

There is a tie for the two least friendly non-resident gun states:  New York and New Jersey

Statistically the majority of self defense shootings are at a distance of no more than 3 feet.
Most adult accidental shootings occur while cleaning a gun
    * Recommend solution: after unloading and double checking the gun(s) remove ALL           Ammunition from the room you are cleaning the gun(s) in.
Most accidental youth shootings are done by a child that is a guest in the house.

Some interesting but scary local facts:

The 3 most dangerous places in Myrtle Beach(violent crimes):  anywhere on the beach after dark, the largest area mall parking lot and a specific Walmart parking lot not far from the mall.

The most likely place in Myrtle Beach to be killed by a gunshot is downtown around the southern end of Ocean Highway.

This one blew me away:  the #1 drug problem in Myrtle Beach is heroine with users in the 18-30 year age range, interestingly the reason for the over 30 decline is death from overdose.

Now, this one really blew me away:  in Myrtle Beach the number 1 used weapon in violent crimes is A syringe with a needle being used to stab you in the neck.  These incidents are frequently performed by females.
I didn't see any of that on the travel promotions for Myrtle Beach...

Morning SemiThawedRick and DifferentKindOfShootEmUpDave.

Today is Sunday, Feb. 3, the 34th day of 2019. There are 331 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Feb. 3, 1959, rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson died in a small plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.
On this date:
In 1690, the first paper money in America was issued by the Massachusetts Bay Colony to finance a military expedition to Canada.
In 1811, American newspaper editor Horace Greeley was born in Amherst, N.H.
In 1913, the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, providing for a federal income tax, was ratified.
In 1917, the United States broke off diplomatic relations with Germany, the same day an American cargo ship, the SS Housatonic, was sunk by a U-boat off Britain after the crew was allowed to board lifeboats.
In 1930, the chief justice of the United States, William Howard Taft, resigned for health reasons. (He died just over a month later.)
In 1943, during World War II, the U.S. transport ship SS Dorchester, which was carrying troops to Greenland, sank after being hit by a German torpedo in the Labrador Sea; of the more than 900 men aboard, only some 230 survived. (Four Army chaplains on board gave away their life jackets to save others and went down with the ship.)
In 1959, an American Airlines Lockheed Electra crashed into New York's East River, killing 65 of the 73 people on board.
In 1966, the Soviet probe Luna 9 became the first manmade object to make a soft landing on the moon.
In 1988, the U.S. House of Representatives handed President Ronald Reagan a major defeat, rejecting his request for $36.2 million in new aid to the Nicaraguan Contras by a vote of 219-211.
In 1994, the space shuttle Discovery lifted off, carrying Sergei Krikalev, the first Russian cosmonaut to fly aboard a U.S. spacecraft.
In 1995, Discovery blasted off with a woman, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Eileen Collins, in the pilot's seat for the first time in NASA history.
In 1998, Texas executed Karla Faye Tucker, 38, for the pickax killings of two people in 1983; she was the first woman executed in the United States since 1984. A U.S. Marine plane sliced through the cable of a ski gondola in Italy, causing the car to plunge hundreds of feet, killing all 20 people inside.

good morning Daves and Rick.
finishedvup reports for business meetings tonight and JAX tomorrow, and fine tuned stuff for chili cook off next Saturday where I am the MC again this year.
BrickHouse maduro and coffee finally started.

good morning Daves and Rick.
finishedvup reports for business meetings tonight and JAX tomorrow, and fine tuned stuff for chili cook off next Saturday where I am the MC again this year.
BrickHouse maduro and coffee finally started.
Do you take bribes?  At very least free samples of all.

Ten years ago: Eric Holder became the first black U.S. attorney general as he was sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden. The White House announced that Tom Daschle had asked to be removed from consideration as health and human services secretary after acknowledging he'd failed to pay all his taxes.

Five years ago: U.S. stocks tumbled, pushing the Dow Jones industrial average down more than 320 points after reports of sluggish U.S growth added to investor worries about the global economy. Former Vice President Walter Mondale's wife, Joan, died in St. Paul, Minnesota, at age 83.

One year ago: The fantasy romance "The Shape of Water" added another key prize in the awards season, as Guillermo del Toro took top honors at the Directors Guild Awards. Linebacker Ray Lewis and receiver Terrell Owens were among eight people voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The New York Times reported an accusation from actress Uma Thurman that disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein had forced himself on her sexually years ago in a London hotel room; Weinstein acknowledged making an "awkward pass" but strongly denied any physical assault.

Thought for Today: “Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is character.” — Horace Greeley, American newspaper editor (born this date in 1811, died in 1872).

Births On This Day – February 3
1935 Johnny "Guitar" Watson  American singer, guitarist
1927 Kenneth Anger   American actor, director, author
1874 Gertrude Stein   American poet, art collector
1830 Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury  English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
1809 Felix Mendelssohn  German pianist, composer, conductor

Deaths On This Day – February 3
1985 Frank Oppenheimer  American physicist
1961 Anna May Wong  American actress
1924 Woodrow Wilson  American politician, 28th President of the United States, Nobel Prize laureate
1820 Gia Long  Vietnamese emperor
1468 Johannes Gutenberg  German publisher, invented the Printing press

With Multi-State Non-Resident CCW Permits You can Legally Carry Concealed in Over 30 States!

http://www.ccwusa.com/ccw-permits/multi-state-ccw-permit/

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/gun-laws-florida/#fl-map

Today's Birthdays:
Former Sen. Paul Sarbanes, D-Md., is 86.
Football Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton is 79.
Actress Bridget Hanley is 78.
Actress Blythe Danner is 76.
Football Hall of Famer Bob Griese is 74.
Singer-guitarist Dave Davies (The Kinks) is 72.
Singer Melanie is 72.
Actress Morgan Fairchild is 69.
Actress Pamela Franklin is 69.
ctor Nathan Lane is 63.
Rock musician Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth) is 63.
Actor Thomas Calabro is 60.
Rock musician/author Lol Tolhurst (The Cure) is 60.
Actor-director Keith Gordon is 58.
Actress Michele Greene is 57.
Country singer Matraca (muh-TRAY'-suh) Berg is 55.
Actress Maura Tierney is 54.
Actor Warwick Davis is 49.
Actress Elisa Donovan is 48.
Reggaeton singer Daddy Yankee is 43.
Actress Isla (EYE'-luh) Fisher is 43.
Musician Grant Barry is 42.
Human rights activist Amal Clooney is 41.
Singer-songwriter Jessica Harp is 37.
Actor Matthew Moy is 35.
Rapper Sean Kingston is 29.
Actor Brandon Micheal (cq) Hall is 26.

On Feb. 3, 1959, rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson died in a small plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

….the day the music died....

[...]

And most of it (like at the mall, Beach & Walmart) you will never see in the local news either.  But the shootings on Ocean Blvd have on occasion evenmade it into national travel publications.

With Multi-State Non-Resident CCW Permits You can Legally Carry Concealed in Over 30 States!

http://www.ccwusa.com/ccw-permits/multi-state-ccw-permit/

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/gun-laws-florida/#fl-map
That’s why I got SC resident  & Utah non resident, allows me to carry in every state where reciprocity exists.  PA is kind of screwed up but I can legally carry there.

With Multi-State Non-Resident CCW Permits You can Legally Carry Concealed in Over 30 States!

http://www.ccwusa.com/ccw-permits/multi-state-ccw-permit/

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/gun-laws-florida/#fl-map
That’s why I got SC resident  & Utah non resident, allows me to carry in every state where reciprocity exists.  PA is kind of screwed up but I can legally carry there.
Florida allows 36 states. just gotta be careful driving through SC, Penn, and NY.

Look what I found!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6