Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 07:45:25 AM »

Frozen Whackers Lull?

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:08 AM »

nice pictures Dave.

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 07:49:02 AM »

January 31
1606      Guy Fawkes is hanged, drawn and quartered for his part in the Gunpowder Plot, an attempt to blow up Parliament.
1620      Virginia colony leaders write to the Virginia Company in England, asking for more orphaned apprentices for employment.
1788      The Young Pretender, Charles Edward Stuart dies.
1835      A man with two pistols misfires at President Andrew Jackson at the White House.
1865      House of Representatives approves a constitutional amendment abolishing slavery.
1911      The German Reichstag exempts royal families from tax obligations.
1915      Germans use poison gas on the Russians at Bolimov.
1915      German U-boats sink two British steamers in the English Channel.
1916      President Woodrow Wilson refuses the compromise on Lusitania reparations.
1917      Germany resumes unlimited sub warfare, warning that all neutral ships that are in the war zone will be attacked.
1935      The Soviet premier tells Japan to get out of Manchuria.
1943      The Battle of Stalingrad ends as small groups of German soldiers of the Sixth Army surrender to the victorious Red Army forces.
1944      U.S. troops under Vice Adm. Spruance land on Kwajalien atoll in the Marshall Islands.
1950      Paris protests the Soviet recognition of Ho Chi Minh's Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
1966      U.S. planes resume bombing of North Vietnam after a 37-day pause.
1968      In Vietnam, the Tet Offensive begins as Viet Cong and North Vietnamese soldiers attack strategic and civilian locations throughout South Vietnam.
1976      Ernesto Miranda, famous from the Supreme Court ruling on Miranda vs. Arizona is stabbed to death.
1981      Lech Walesa announces an accord in Poland, giving Saturdays off to laborers.
Born on January 31
1734      Robert Morris, signatory of the Declaration of Independence.
1797      Franz Schubert, Austrian composer (C Major Symphony, The Unfinished Symphony).
1919      Jackie Robinson, first African-American baseball player in the modern major leagues.
1925      Benjamin Hooks, civil rights leader.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:05 AM »

Morning popsicle toes.  Misty and upper 40's here, up to 57.  Warming trend with accompanying wetness underway (TNWSS).

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »

nice pictures Dave.
Indeed.  Given the choice I would chose an eastward vs westward facing balcony as well.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:10 AM »

nice pictures Dave.
Indeed.  Given the choice I would chose an eastward vs westward facing balcony as well.
Well, I have both😀 but I would prefer to have them reversed.

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »

Morning popsicle toes.  Misty and upper 40's here, up to 57.  Warming trend with accompanying wetness underway (TNWSS).
Morning WetBean

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:02:32 AM »

Good morning, LTG.
Howdy, Tony. Staying warm?
Trying to just maintain consistent. They have the heat blasted on the bus so I'm forced to strip down. Winter is such a pain in the ass.
Put on some music. You have those poles in front of you, go to town, TawnyTony.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »

nice pictures Dave.
Indeed.  Given the choice I would chose an eastward vs westward facing balcony as well.
Well, I have both😀 but I would prefer to have them reversed.
You'd rather watch the sunset over the water?  Won't that be a bit uncomfortable June through September?

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

nice pictures Dave.
Indeed.  Given the choice I would chose an eastward vs westward facing balcony as well.
Well, I have both😀 but I would prefer to have them reversed.
You'd rather watch the sunset over the water?  Won't that be a bit uncomfortable June through September?
My balcony over the water faces WNW and yes it is uncomfortable late in the afternoon during those months.  I would much rather the river balcony was on the other side!  SE facing balcony is out the front door and on the highway and ocean side but ocean is about 1.5 miles away,

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »

2° and feels like -17° here, at the moment.
Polar Vortexin' !

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »

If you think it’s cold at your house then think again!

Current Actual Temperature in International Falls, MN is -37°.  Forecast high is -9°.
Guess Oy isn't getting a cigar in today....unless he joined that club.

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »

Today is Thursday, Jan. 31, the 31st day of 2019. There are 334 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Jan. 31, 1971, astronauts Alan Shepard, Edgar Mitchell and Stuart Roosa blasted off aboard Apollo 14 on a mission to the moon.
On this date:
In 1606, Englishman Guy Fawkes, convicted of high treason for his part in the “Gunpowder Plot,” was set to be hanged, drawn and quartered, but broke his neck after falling or jumping from the scaffold.
In 1863, during the Civil War, the First South Carolina Volunteers, an all-black Union regiment composed of former slaves, was mustered into federal service at Beaufort, South Carolina.
In 1865, the U.S. House of Representatives joined the Senate in passing the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution abolishing slavery, sending it to states for ratification. (The amendment was adopted in December 1865.) Gen. Robert E. Lee was named general-in-chief of the Confederate States Army by President Jefferson Davis.
In 1917, during World War I, Germany served notice that it was beginning a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare.
In 1929, revolutionary Leon Trotsky and his family were expelled from the Soviet Union.
In 1945, Pvt. Eddie Slovik, 24, became the first U.S. soldier since the Civil War to be executed for desertion as he was shot by an American firing squad in France.
In 1950, President Harry S. Truman announced he had ordered development of the hydrogen bomb.
In 1958, the United States entered the Space Age with its first successful launch of a satellite, Explorer 1, from Cape Canaveral.
In 1961, NASA launched Ham the Chimp aboard a Mercury-Redstone rocket from Cape Canaveral; Ham was recovered safely from the Atlantic Ocean following his 16 1/2-minute suborbital flight.
In 1990, McDonald’s Corp. opened its first fast-food restaurant in Moscow.
In 2000, an Alaska Airlines MD-83 jet crashed into the Pacific Ocean off Port Hueneme, California, killing all 88 people aboard.
In 2005, Jury selection began in Santa Maria, California, for Michael Jackson’s child molestation trial. (Jackson was later acquitted.)

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »

Ten years ago: Iraqis passed through security checkpoints and razor-wire cordons to vote in provincial elections considered a crucial test of the nation’s stability. A gasoline spill from a crashed truck erupted into flames in Molo, Kenya, killing at least 115 people. Serena Williams routed Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3 to win her fourth Australian Open. Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson were elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility; they were joined by Bob Hayes, Randall McDaniel, Derrick Thomas and Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson.

Five years ago: The long-delayed, controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline cleared a major hurdle toward approval as the U.S. State Department reported no major environmental objections to the proposed $7 billion project. A week of peace talks aimed at stemming Syria’s civil war ended in Geneva with no concrete progress.

One year ago: A train carrying dozens of Republican members of Congress to a strategy retreat crashed into a garbage truck in rural Virginia, killing one person in the truck and injuring others; there were no serious injuries aboard the chartered Amtrak train. Republican congressman Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, who became known for leading a House panel’s investigation into the 2012 attacks against Americans in Benghazi, Libya, announced that he would be retiring from Congress after his term expired. Much of the world was treated to a rare triple lunar treat – a total lunar eclipse combined with a particularly close full moon that was also the second full moon of the month.

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »

Today’s Birthdays: Composer Philip Glass is 82.
Former Interior Secretary James Watt is 81.
Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, the former queen regent, is 81.
Actor Stuart Margolin is 79.
Actress Jessica Walter is 78.
Former U.S. Rep. Dick Gephardt, D-Mo., is 78.
Blues singer-musician Charlie Musselwhite is 75.
Actor Glynn Turman is 73.
Baseball Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan is 72.
Actor Jonathan Banks is 72.
Singer-musician Harry Wayne Casey (KC and the Sunshine Band) is 68.
Rock singer Johnny Rotten is 63.
Actress Kelly Lynch is 60.
Actor Anthony LaPaglia is 60.
Singer-musician Lloyd Cole is 58.
Actress Paulette Braxton is 54.
Rock musician Al Jaworski (Jesus Jones) is 53.
Actress Minnie Driver is 49.
Actress Portia de Rossi is 46.
Actor-comedian Bobby Moynihan is 42.
Actress Kerry Washington is 42.
Bluegrass singer-musician Becky Buller is 40.
Singer Justin Timberlake is 38.
Actor Tyler Ritter is 34.
Country singer Tyler Hubbard (Florida Georgia Line) is 32.
Folk-rock singer-musician Marcus Mumford (Mumford and Sons) is 32.
Actor Joel Courtney is 23.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6