Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1979, black militant JoAnne Chesimard escaped from a New Jersey prison, where she'd been serving a life sentence for the 1973 slaying of New Jersey state trooper Werner Foerster. (Chesimard, who took the name Assata Shakur, is believed to be living in Cuba.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

1984, Velma Barfield, convicted of fatally poisoning boyfriend Stuart Taylor, was put to death by injection in Raleigh, North Carolina, becoming the first woman executed in the United States since 1962.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1994, a jury in Pensacola, Florida, convicted Paul Hill of murder for the shotgun slayings of abortion provider Dr. John Britton and Britton's bodyguard; Hill was executed in September 2003.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Republicans strengthened their grip on Congress. Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh was slain in Amsterdam after receiving death threats over his movie "Submission," which criticized the treatment of women under Islam. (Mohammed Bouyeri is serving a life sentence for killing van Gogh.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Five years ago: A suicide bomber killed 35 people outside a bank near Pakistan's military headquarters in Rawalpindi. Afghanistan's election commission proclaimed President Hamid Karzai the victor of the country's tumultuous ballot, canceling a planned runoff. The Philadelphia Phillies staved off elimination from the World Series with an 8-6 victory over the New York Yankees in Game 5. World Boxing Hall of Famer Lou Filippo, 83, died in Downey, California.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

One year ago: Gunmen abducted and killed French radio journalists Ghislaine Dupont and Claude Verlon in northern Mali, grabbing the pair as they left the home of a rebel leader.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Today's Birthdays: Singer Jay Black (Jay and the Americans) is 76. Political commentator Patrick Buchanan is 76. Actress Stefanie Powers is 72. Author Shere (shehr) Hite is 72. Rock musician Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake and Palmer) is 70. Country-rock singer-songwriter J.D. Souther is 69. Actress Kate Linder is 67. Rock musician Carter Beauford (The Dave Matthews Band) is 57. Actor Peter Mullan is 55. Singer-songwriter k.d. lang is 53. Rock musician Bobby Dall (Poison) is 51. Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Lynn Nottage is 50. Actress Lauren Velez is 50. Actor David Schwimmer is 48. Christian/jazz singer Alvin Chea (Take 6) is 47. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is 47. Rock singer-musician Neal Casal is 46. Rock musician Fieldy is 45. Actress Meta Golding (Film: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire") is 43. Rock singer-musician John Hampson (Nine Days) is 43. Rhythm-and-blues singer Timothy Christian Riley (Tony Toni Tone) is 40. Rapper Nelly is 40. Prodigy (Mobb Deep) is 40. Actor Danny Cooksey is 39. Rock musician Chris Walla is 39. Country singer Erika Jo is 28. Actor-singer Kendall Schmidt is 24.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Thought for Today: "The amount of sleep required by the average person is just five minutes more." — Anonymous.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Heaven and Hell
-------------------------

While walking down the street one day a corrupt Senator is tragically hit by a car and killed. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance.
"Welcome to heaven," says St. Peter. "Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official around these parts, you see, so we're not sure what to do with you."

"No problem, just let me in," says the Senator.

"Well, I'd like to, but I have orders from the higher ups. What we'll do is have you spend one day in hell and one in heaven. Then you can choose where to spend eternity."

"Really?, I've made up my mind. I want to be in heaven," says the Senator.

"I'm sorry, but we have our rules."
And with that, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell.
The doors open and he finds himself in the middle of a green golf course. In the distance is a clubhouse and standing in front of it are all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him.
Everyone is very happy and in evening dress. They run to greet him, shake his hand, and reminisce about the good times they had while getting rich at the expense of the people. They played a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster, caviar and the finest champagne.
Also present is the devil, who really is a very friendly guy who is having a good time dancing and telling jokes.
They are all having such a good time that, before the Senator realizes it, it is time to go. Everyone gives him a hearty farewell and waves while the elevator rises.
The elevator goes up, up, up and the door reopens in heaven, where St. Peter is waiting for him. "Now it's time to visit heaven for a day."
So, the Senator joins a group of contented souls moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing. They have a good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by and St. Peter returns
"Well then, you've spent a day in hell and another in heaven. Now choose your eternity."

The Senator reflects for a minute, then he answers: "Well, I would never have said it before, I mean heaven has been delightful, but I think I would be better off in hell."

So St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell.
Now the doors of the elevator open and he's in the middle of a barren land covered with waste and garbage. He sees all his friends, dressed in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags as more trash falls from above
The devil comes over to him and puts his arm around his shoulders.

"I don't understand," stammers the Senator. "Yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and clubhouse, and we ate lobster and caviar, drank champagne, and danced and had a great time. Now there's just a wasteland full of garbage and my friends look miserable. What happened?"

The devil smiles at him and says,

"Yesterday we were campaigning to get your vote...Today, you voted."

Vote wisely in November.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Time to hit the road for work guys, enjoy your day.

Just a drive-by post...  I'm curious if you started posting this stuff 90 minutes ago or 2 1/2 hours ago, Chip?  Anyhoo, thanks for the reading material.   It's back to bed for me.  For a little while anyway.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Just a drive-by post...  I'm curious if you started posting this stuff 90 minutes ago or 2 1/2 hours ago, Chip?  Anyhoo, thanks for the reading material.   It's back to bed for me.  For a little while anyway.
Who knows at this time of the morning, more than likely 90 minutes ago.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Just a drive-by post...  I'm curious if you started posting this stuff 90 minutes ago or 2 1/2 hours ago, Chip?  Anyhoo, thanks for the reading material.   It's back to bed for me.  For a little while anyway.
No dreaming about the neighbors wife now Tony.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Time for a sheesh.