CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 11/3/2018  (Read 2238 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
11/3/2018
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »

What's up cigar enthusiasts?!  Any cigar deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 11/3/2018
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:58:21 AM »

Good morning weekend banterers.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:21 AM »

Today is Saturday, Nov. 3, the 307th day of 2018. There are 58 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

On Nov. 3, 1992, Democrat Bill Clinton was elected the 42nd president of the United States, defeating President George H.W. Bush. In Illinois, Democrat Carol Moseley-Braun became the first black woman elected to the U.S. Senate.

On this date:
In 1839, the first Opium War between China and Britain broke out.
In 1900, the first major U.S. automobile show opened at New York’s Madison Square Garden under the auspices of the Automobile Club of America.
In 1903, Panama proclaimed its independence from Colombia.
In 1908, Republican William Howard Taft was elected president, outpolling William Jennings Bryan.
In 1911, the Chevrolet Motor Car Co. was founded in Detroit by Louis Chevrolet and William C. Durant. (The company was acquired by General Motors in 1918.)
In 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt won a landslide election victory over Republican challenger Alfred “Alf” Landon.
In 1957, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik 2, the second manmade satellite, into orbit; on board was a dog named Laika, who was sacrificed in the experiment.
In 1964, President Lyndon B. Johnson soundly defeated Republican Barry Goldwater to win a White House term in his own right.
In 1970, Salvador Allende was inaugurated as president of Chile.
In 1979, five Communist Workers Party members were killed in a clash with heavily armed Ku Klux Klansmen and neo-Nazis during an anti-Klan protest in Greensboro, North Carolina.
In 1986, the Iran-Contra affair came to light as Ash-Shiraa, a pro-Syrian Lebanese magazine, first broke the story of U.S. arms sales to Iran.
In 1997, the Supreme Court let stand California’s groundbreaking Proposition 209, which banned race and gender preference in hiring and school admissions.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »

Ten years ago: On the eve of Election Day 2008, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain wrapped up their two-year campaign for the White House. Ali Hamza al-Bahlul, a video maker for Osama bin Laden, was sentenced at Guantanamo to life in prison for encouraging terrorist attacks. Authorities announced they had positively identified some of Steve Fossett’s remains found a half-mile from where the adventurer’s plane had crashed in California’s Sierra Nevada.

Five years ago: President Barack Obama stepped into Virginia’s gubernatorial race, throwing the political weight of the White House behind Democrat Terry McAuliffe, who ended up defeating Republican Ken Cuccinelli. Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak collapsed from a mini-stroke while leaving the field at halftime of a game with the Indianapolis Colts, who rallied for a 27-24 victory. Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito, accused of bullying fellow player Jonathan Martin, was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. (Incognito missed the final eight games of the season before becoming a free agent when his contract with Miami expired.)

One year ago: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who walked away from his post in Afghanistan and triggered a search that left some of his comrades severely wounded, was spared a prison sentence by a military judge in North Carolina; President Donald Trump blasted the decision as a “complete and total disgrace.” Netflix said it was cutting all ties with Kevin Spacey after a series of allegations of sexual harassment and assault, and that it would not be a part of any further production of “House of Cards” that includes him. A massive report from scientists inside and outside the government concluded that the evidence of global warming is stronger than ever. Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky suffered five broken ribs in an attack by a longtime next-door neighbor as Paul did yard work at his home. (Rene Boucher pleaded guilty to assaulting a member of Congress and was sentenced to 30 days in prison.)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:
Actress Lois Smith is 88.
Actress Monica Vitti is 87.
Former Massachusetts Gov. Michael S. Dukakis is 85.
Actor-dancer Ken Berry is 85.
Actor Shadoe Stevens is 72.
Singer Lulu is 70.
Comedian-actress Roseanne Barr is 66.
Actress Kate Capshaw is 65.
Comedian Dennis Miller is 65.
Actress Kathy Kinney is 65.
Singer Adam Ant is 64.
Director-screenwriter Gary Ross is 62.
Actor Dolph Lundgren is 61.
Rock musician C.J. Pierce (Drowning Pool) is 46.
Actor Francois Battiste (TV: “Ten Days in the Valley”) is 42.
Olympic gold medal figure skater Evgeni Plushenko is 36.
Actress Julie Berman is 35.
Actress Antonia Thomas (TV: “The Good Doctor”) is 32.
Alternative rock singer/songwriter Courtney Barnett is 31.
TV personality Kendall Jenner (TV: “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”) is 23.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »

Thought for Today: “Among these things but one thing seems certain — that nothing certain exists, and that nothing is more pitiable or more presumptuous than man.” — Pliny the Elder, Roman scholar.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »

Well at least you don't get interrupted while posting your morning news. Good morning, Dave.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »

Bunch of running around to do in order to get ready for the big trip. Not to mention the 3 games.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »

Good things to look forward to. Morning Tony.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »

good morning Tony and Dave.
running around today. Verizon phone back broke and for what they want to get a 'new used' phone' is stupid. I about lost it. found a place that will replace the back for $60. then going to tour the Animal Shelter. tonight is the Stone Crab Festival.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »

Luminosa with coffee before Gameday.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »

running around today. Verizon phone back broke and for what they want to get a 'new used' phone' is stupid. I about lost it. found a place that will replace the back for $60. then going to tour the Animal Shelter. tonight is the Stone Crab Festival.
Morning Dean. Dont pick up any more posts while there. Stone crab, yum!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »

Good slate of games today.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »

The Animal Shelter would be a good name for a singles' bar.

Good morning, Dean.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

Morning Dean. Dont pick up any more posts while there. Stone crab, yum!
+1 on the crabs. I'm hungry already.
Pages: [1] 2