Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

  • Administrator
10/23/2018
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »

It's Tuesday again! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:42:30 AM »

Happy GFY Day.
I double booked my physical and injections. going to be a screwed up morning.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »

Happy GFY Day.
I double booked my physical and injections. going to be a screwed up morning.
Hope the doc doesn't mix up his finger and the needle. Morning, TwoferDean.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »

Happy GFY Day.
I double booked my physical and injections. going to be a screwed up morning.
Hope the doc doesn't mix up his finger and the needle. Morning, TwoferDean.
Ouch.

Good morning, Dean and Dave.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »

Happy GFY Day.
I double booked my physical and injections. going to be a screwed up morning.
Hope the doc doesn't mix up his finger and the needle. Morning, TwoferDean.
wouldn't that be something. kill two birds with one stone.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »

Morning Dave, Tony, and Poked&ProdedDean.  Raining again here, and that Mexican hurricane is supposed to dump a load on us tomorrow.  Our cup runneth over. And our rivers, lakes, and dams.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:51:14 AM »

Morning Dave, Tony, and Poked&ProdedDean.  Raining again here, and that Mexican hurricane is supposed to dump a load on us tomorrow.  Our cup runneth over. And our rivers, lakes, and dams.
I wouldn't be happy about a load being dumped on me.

Good morning, Mark.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:05:20 AM »

Morning Dave, Tony, and Poked&ProdedDean.  Raining again here, and that Mexican hurricane is supposed to dump a load on us tomorrow.  Our cup runneth over. And our rivers, lakes, and dams.
Morning, LoadofBeans.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »

Morning Dave, Tony, and Poked&ProdedDean.  Raining again here, and that Mexican hurricane is supposed to dump a load on us tomorrow.  Our cup runneth over. And our rivers, lakes, and dams.
High, dry and brisk here in New England.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »

Morning Tony, DoubleTroubleDean, DumpedonBean and FloDogDave.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:09 AM »

It's Tuesday again! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!
Tuesday doesn't really have the edge it used to.  Think we're going to have to back off on it as a special banter day.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »

Today is Tuesday, Oct. 23, the 296th day of 2018. There are 69 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Oct. 23, 1983, 241 U.S. service members, most of them Marines, were killed in a suicide truck-bombing at Beirut International Airport in Lebanon; a near-simultaneous attack on French forces killed 58 paratroopers.

On this date:

In 1707, the first Parliament of Great Britain, created by the Acts of Union between England and Scotland, held its first meeting.

In 1915, tens of thousands of women paraded up Fifth Avenue in New York City, demanding the right to vote.

In 1942, during World War II, Britain launched a major offensive against Axis forces at El Alamein in Egypt, resulting in an Allied victory.

In 1944, the World War II Battle of Leyte Gulf began, resulting in a major Allied victory against Japanese forces.

In 1956, a student-sparked revolt against Hungary's Communist rule began; as the revolution spread, Soviet forces started entering the country, and the uprising was put down within weeks.

In 1958, Boris Pasternak was named winner of the Nobel Prize in literature. (However, Soviet authorities pressured Pasternak into relinquishing the award.)

In 1973, President Richard Nixon agreed to turn over White House tape recordings subpoenaed by the Watergate special prosecutor to Judge John J. Sirica.

In 1987, the U.S. Senate rejected, 58-42, the Supreme Court nomination of Robert H. Bork.

In 1991, Cambodia's warring factions and representatives of 18 other nations signed a peace treaty in Paris.

In 1995, a jury in Houston convicted Yolanda Saldivar of murdering Tejano singing star Selena. (Saldivar is serving a life prison sentence.)

In 2001, the nation's anthrax scare hit the White House with the discovery of a small concentration of spores at an offsite mail processing center.

In 2006, former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling was sentenced by a federal judge in Houston to 24 years, four months for his role in the company's collapse. Eventually 10 years was cut off Skilling's prison sentence, and he was released to a halfway house in Aug. 2018.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »

Ten years ago: Badgered by lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan denied the nation's economic crisis was his fault but conceded the meltdown had revealed a flaw in a lifetime of economic thinking and left him in a "state of shocked disbelief." The Tampa Bay Rays evened the World Series at one game apiece by beating the Philadelphia Phillies, 4-2.

Five years ago: A defensive Obama administration acknowledged its problem-plagued health insurance website didn't get enough testing before going live; it said technicians were deep into the job of fixing major computer snags, but provided no timetable. German Chancellor Angela Merkel called President Barack Obama to complain about allegations U.S. intelligence had targeted her cellphone. (The White House said it wasn't monitoring and wouldn't monitor Merkel's communications, but conspicuously didn't say they had never been monitored.) The Boston Red Sox took the World Series opener, beating the St. Louis Cardinals 8-1.

One year ago: New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced a civil rights investigation into the Weinstein Co., amid sexual harassment and assault allegations against its founder, Harvey Weinstein. As Republicans searched for ways to finance tax cuts, President Donald Trump promised that the popular 401(k) retirement savings program would not be touched. Sen. John McCain said he didn't consider Donald Trump to be a draft-dodger, but told ABC's "The View" that the system that allowed Trump and other wealthy Americans to use medical deferments to avoid military service during the Vietnam War was wrong.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »

Thought for Today: "Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it." -- Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor (CE 121-CE 180).

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »

It's Tuesday again! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!
Tuesday doesn't really have the edge it used to.  Think we're going to have to back off on it as a special banter day.
GFY!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5