Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 02:10:54 AM »

In 1792, the cornerstone of the executive mansion, later known as the White House, was laid during a ceremony in the District of Columbia.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »

In 1843, the Jewish organization B'nai B'rith (buh-NAY' brith) was founded in New York City.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:41 AM »

1932, President Herbert Hoover and Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes laid the cornerstone for the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:00 AM »

In 1944, during World War II, American troops entered Aachen, Germany.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »

In 1957, CBS-TV broadcast "The Edsel Show," a one-hour live special starring Bing Crosby designed to promote the new, ill-fated Ford automobile. (It was the first special to use videotape technology to delay the broadcast to the West Coast.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:45 AM »

In 1962, Edward Albee's four-character drama "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" opened on Broadway.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:18 AM »

In 1974, longtime television host Ed Sullivan died in New York City at age 73.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »

In 1981, voters in Egypt participated in a referendum to elect Vice President Hosni Mubarak (HAHS'-nee moo-BAH'-rahk) the new president, one week after the assassination of Anwar Sadat.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:13 AM »

In 1999, the Senate rejected the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, with 48 senators voting in favor and 51 against, far short of the 67 needed for ratification. In Boulder, Colorado, the JonBenet Ramsey grand jury was dismissed after 13 months of work with prosecutors saying there wasn't enough evidence to charge anyone in the 6-year-old beauty queen's slaying.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »

Ten years ago: President George W. Bush and Democratic rival John Kerry held their third and final debate in Tempe, Arizona, trading blows on the Iraq war, taxes, gun control, abortion and jobs.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

Five years ago: The United Nations Security Council voted unanimously to extend the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti for a year. Singer Al Martino, who'd played crooner Johnny Fontane in "The Godfather" and "The Godfather: Part III," died in Springfield, Pennsylvania, six days after turning 82. Movie producer Daniel Melnick ("Straw Dogs," ''Network," ''Midnight Express") died in Los Angeles at age 77.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 02:15:21 AM »

One year ago: Gunmen abducted six Red Cross workers and a Syrian Red Crescent volunteer after stopping their convoy in northwestern Syria. (Four of the seven were released by the next day.) The Boston Red Sox beat the Detroit Tigers 6-5 to even the AL championship series at 1-all. Dennis Kimetto broke the course mark in capturing the Chicago Marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 45 seconds, leading a 1-2-3 finish for Kenyan men.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Playwright Frank D. Gilroy is 89. Gospel singer Shirley Caesar is 77. Actress Melinda Dillon is 75. Singer-musician Paul Simon is 73. Actress Pamela Tiffin is 72. Musician Robert Lamm (Chicago) is 70. Country singer Lacy J. Dalton is 68. Actor Demond Wilson is 68. Singer-musician Sammy Hagar is 67. Actor John Lone is 62. Model Beverly Johnson is 62. Producer-writer Chris Carter is 58. Actor Reggie Theus (THEE'-us) is 57. Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., is 56. Singer Marie Osmond is 55. Rock singer Joey Belladonna is 54. Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer is 54. NBA coach Doc Rivers is 53. Actress T'Keyah Crystal Keymah (tuh-KEE'-ah KRYS'-tal kee-MAH') is 52. College and Pro Football Hall of Famer Jerry Rice is 52. Actress Kelly Preston is 52. Country singer John Wiggins is 52. Actor Christopher Judge is 50. Actor Matt Walsh (TV: "Veep") is 50. Actress Kate Walsh is 47. Rhythm-and-blues musician Jeff Allen (Mint Condition) is 46. Actress Tisha Campbell-Martin is 46. Classical singer Carlos Marin (Il Divo) is 46. Olympic silver-medal figure skater Nancy Kerrigan is 45. Country singer Rhett Akins is 45. Classical crossover singer Paul Potts (TV: "Britain's Got Talent") is 44. TV personality Billy Bush is 43. Actor Sacha Baron Cohen is 43. Rock musician Jan Van Sichem Jr. (K's Choice) is 42. Rhythm-and-blues singers Brian and Brandon Casey (Jagged Edge) are 39. Actress Kiele Sanchez is 38. NBA All-Star Paul Pierce is 37. Singer Ashanti (ah-SHAHN'-tee) is 34. Christian rock singer Jon Micah Sumrall (Kutless) is 34. Olympic gold medal swimmer Ian Thorpe is 32.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:47 AM »

Thought for Today: "Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." — Pete Seeger, American folk singer and activist (1919-2014).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/13/2014
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:22 AM »

New Chevrolet

A fifteen year-old boy came home with a new Chevrolet Avalanche and his parents began to yell and scream, "Where did you get that truck???!!!" He calmly told them, "I bought it today."

"With what money?" demanded his parents. They knew what a Chevrolet Avalanche costs."

"Well," said the boy, "this one cost me fifteen dollars."

So the parents began to yell even louder. "Who would sell a truck like that for fifteen dollars?" they said.

"It was the lady up the street," said the boy. I don't know her name-they just moved in. She saw me ride past on my bike and asked me if I wanted to buy a Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars."

"Oh my Goodness!," moaned the mother, "she must be a child abuser. Who knows what she will do next? John, you go right up there and see what's going on." So the boy's father walked up the street to the house where the lady lived and found her out in the yard calmly planting petunias! He introduced himself as the father of the boy to whom she had sold a new Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars and demanded to know why she did it.

"Well," she said, "this morning I got a phone call from my husband. I thought he was on a a coffee break, but learned from a friend he had ran off to Hawaii with his mistress and really doesn't intend to come back. He claimed he was stranded and asked me to sell his new Chevrolet Avalanche and send him the money. So I did."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22