CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5/6/2018  (Read 1716 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
5/6/2018
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:01:28 AM »

No, the site isn't closed. It's just that our regulars don't post all that much on the weekends. But don't be shy. If you know of any cigar deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about, go ahead and post it. Even if it isn't about cigars, go ahead, you've got nothing to lose. In fact,  you practically will have the entire site all to yourself. But be warned that if you are somehow able to get our attention, we're a spirited lot.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 5/6/2018
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »

Good still the weekend morning.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »

Guess everyone is recovering from Cinco de Mayo, 4s be with you, Derby Day, CFest weekend.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »

English Channel tunnel opens

In a ceremony presided over by England’s Queen Elizabeth II and French President Francois Mitterand, a rail tunnel under the English Channel was officially opened, connecting Britain and the European mainland for the first time since the Ice Age.
The channel tunnel, or “Chunnel,” connects Folkstone, England, with Sangatte, France, 31 miles away. The Chunnel cut travel time between England and France to a swift 35 minutes and eventually between London and Paristo two-and-a-half hours.
As the world’s longest undersea tunnel, the Chunnel runs under water for 23 miles, with an average depth of 150 feet below the seabed. Each day, about 30,000 people, 6,000 cars and 3,500 trucks journey through the Chunnel on passenger, shuttle and freight trains.
Millions of tons of earth were moved to build the two rail tunnels–one for northbound and one for southbound traffic–and one service tunnel. Fifteen thousandpeople were employed at the peak of construction. Ten people were killed during construction.
Napoleon’s engineer, Albert Mathieu, planned the first tunnel under the English Channel in 1802, envisioning an underground passage with ventilation chimneys that would stretch above the waves. In 1880, the first real attempt was made by Colonel Beaumont, who bore a tunnel more than a mile long before abandoning the project. Other efforts followed in the 20th century, but none on the scale of the tunnels begun in June 1988.
The Chunnel’s $16 billion cost was roughly twice the original estimate, and completion was a year behind schedule. One year into service, Eurotunnel announced a huge loss, one of the biggest in United Kingdom corporate history at the time. A scheme in which banks agreed to swap billions of pounds worth of loans for shares saved the tunnel from going under and it showed its first net profit in 1999.
Freight traffic was suspended for six months after a fire broke out on a lorry in the tunnel in November 1996. Nobody was seriously hurt in the incident.
In 1996, the American Society of Civil Engineers identified the tunnel as one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.

Also on this day
American Revolution
William Franklin warns Dartmouth of repercussions from Lexington and Concord
In a candid report to William Legge, 2nd earl of Dartmouth and the British secretary of state for the colonies, on this day in 1775, Benjamin Franklin’s illegitimate son, New Jersey Royal Governor William Franklin, writes that the violence at Lexington and Concord greatly diminishes the chances of reconciliation between...

Harry Gant is oldest NASCAR winner — again
On this day in 1991, 51-year-old race car driver Harry Gant racks up his 12th National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) Winston Cup career victory in the Winston 500 in Talladega, Alabama. In doing so, Gant bettered his own record as the oldest man ever to win a...

Civil War
Grant and Lee continue fighting in the Wilderness
On this day in 1864, in the opening battle in the biggest campaign of the Civil War, Union and Confederate troops continue their desperate struggle in the Wilderness forest in Virginia. General Ulysses S. Grant, commander of the Union forces, had joined George Meade’s Army of the Potomac to encounter...

Cold War
Gorbachev reviews the Cold War
In an event steeped in symbolism, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev reviews the Cold War in a speech at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri—the site of Winston Churchill’s “Iron Curtain” speech 46 years before. Gorbachev mixed praise for the end of the Cold War with some pointed criticisms of U.S....

Crime
The theft of Duchess of Devonshire stirs interest
Thomas Gainsborough’s painting Duchess of Devonshire Adam Worth, whom Scotland Yard later called the “Napoleon of Crime,” and upon whom Sir Arthur Conan Doyle eventually based Sherlock Holmes’ arch nemesis Dr. Moriarty, stole the artwork in order to come up with the bail to release his brother from jail. However, his...

Ohio kidnap victims rescued after years in captivity
On this day in 2013, three women are rescued from a Cleveland, Ohio, house where they had been imprisoned for many years by their abductor, 52-year-old Ariel Castro, an unemployed bus driver.The women—Michelle Knight, Amada Berry and Gina DeJesus—went missing separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 21, 16...

Disaster
Hindenburg explodes in New Jersey
On this day in 1937, the German airship Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built, explodes as it arrives in Lakehurst, New Jersey. Thirty-six people died in the fiery accident that has since become iconic, in part because of the live radio broadcast of the disaster. The dirigible was built to...

General Interest
The Hindenburg disaster
The airship Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built and the pride of Nazi Germany, bursts into flames upon touching its mooring mast in Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 36 passengers and crewmembers.Frenchman Henri Giffard constructed the first successful airship in 1852. His hydrogen-filled blimp carried a three-horsepower steam engine that turned...

First four-minute mile
In Oxford, England, 25-year-old medical student Roger Bannister cracks track and field’s most notorious barrier: the four-minute mile. Bannister, who was running for the Amateur Athletic Association against his alma mater, Oxford University, won the mile race with a time of 3 minutes and 59.4 seconds.For years, so many athletes...

Hollywood
Final episode of Friends airs on NBC
At 9:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific times on this day in 2004, that familiar theme song (“I’ll Be There For You” by the Rembrandts) announces the beginning of the end, as an estimated 51.1 million people tune in for the final original episode of NBC’s long-running comedy series Friends. Created and...

Literary
John Steinbeck wins a Pulitzer for The Grapes of Wrath
On this day in 1940, John Steinbeck is awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Grapes of Wrath. The book traces the fictional Joad family of Oklahoma as they lose their family farm and move to California in search of a better life. They encounter only more difficulties and a...

Music
Spinal Tap stages a “comeback” at CBGB’s in New York City
Almost 20 years and who knows how many drummers into their unique career in rock, the surviving members of one of England’s loudest bands had reached yet another low point in the spring of 1984. Only two years removed from a disastrous 1982 world tour that not only failed to...

Old West
Hangman George Maledon dies
George Maledon, the man who executed at least 60 men for “Hanging Judge” Isaac Parker, dies from natural causes in Tennessee. Few men actively seek out the job of hangman and Maledon was no exception. Raised by German immigrants in Detroit, Michigan, Maledon moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas, in his...

Presidential
FDR creates the WPA
On this day in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs an executive order creating the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The WPA was just one of many Great Depression relief programs created under the auspices of the Emergency Relief Appropriations Act, which Roosevelt had signed the month before. The WPA, the...

Sports
Roger Bannister breaks four-minutes mile
On this day in 1954, at the Iffley Road Track in Oxford, England, medical student Roger Bannister becomes the first person in recorded history to run the mile in under four minutes. Roger Bannister was born in Middlesex on March 23, 1929. His parents couldn’t afford to send him to school,...

Vietnam War
Students launch nationwide protest
Hundreds of colleges and universities across the nation shut down as thousands of students join a nationwide campus protest. Governor Ronald Reagan closed down the entire California university and college system until May 11, which affected more than 280,000 students on 28 campuses. Elsewhere, faculty and administrators joined students in...

South Vietnamese defenders hold on to An Loc
The remnants of South Vietnam’s 5th Division at An Loc continue to receive daily artillery battering from the communist forces surrounding the city as reinforcements fight their way from the south up Highway 13. The South Vietnamese had been under heavy attack since the North Vietnamese had launched their Nguyen Hue...

World War I
Second Battle of Krithia, Gallipoli
After a first attempt to capture the village of Krithia, on the Gallipoli Peninsula, failed on April 28, 1915, a second is initiated on May 6 by Allied troops under the British commander Sir Aylmer Hunter-Weston. Fortified by 105 pieces of heavy artillery, the Allied force advanced on Krithia, located at...

World War II
All American forces in the Philippines surrender unconditionally
On this day in 1942, U.S. Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright surrenders all U.S. troops in the Philippines to the Japanese. The island of Corregidor remained the last Allied stronghold in the Philippines after the Japanese victory at Bataan (from which General Wainwright had managed to flee, to Corregidor). Constant artillery shelling...

Having trouble with the normal news source again.... hope this will do for a start.
If you want any of the complete stories from the teaser lines provided, here's your link.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »

As it is redhead week, I was wondering Dean, why has the rich redhead seemingly fallen out of the primary rotation?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »

Births On This Day – May 6

1961 George Clooney
American actor, director, producer, screenwriter

1953 Tony Blair
Scottish/English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

1915 Orson Welles
American actor, director, producer, screenwriter

1856 Sigmund Freud
Austrian neurologist

1758 Maximilien de Robespierre
French lawyer, politician

Deaths On This Day – May 6

1992 Marlene Dietrich
German/American actress, singer

1952 Maria Montessori
Italian physician, educator

1919 L. Frank Baum
American author

1862 Henry David Thoreau
American writer, philosopher

1859 Alexander von Humboldt
German geographer, explorer

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »

good morning Dave.
I had a boring day yesterday and I'm going to have another today.
Nat Sherman 1930 and coffee here.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »

Now this is good!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »

Good Day Dean and Oy.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »

good morning Dave.
I had a boring day yesterday and I'm going to have another today.
Nat Sherman 1930 and coffee here.
Speaking of boring days, still on page 1.....sheesh.

sfish

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »

601 Warhead III on the patio, SCDave mentioned them yesterday and reminded me how good they are

sfish

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »

601 Warhead III on the patio, SCDave mentioned them yesterday and reminded me how good they are
Warhead is excellent...so is the Tanqueray & tonic

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »

Off to the airport.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »

Nice barn doors there fishy!

sfish

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »

Nice barn doors there fishy!
Haha, thanks. Where are you off to? Thanks for coming up to the house and bringing great cigars as always
Pages: [1] 2