Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #585 on: June 06, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »

Yesterday, I told my 2 1/2 year old grandson that he had to start listening to Frank Sinatra music, and he really got upset with me. Then I started singing New York, New York, and he started running around the house screaming..!!!
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #586 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

Yesterday, I told my 2 1/2 year old grandson that he had to start listening to Frank Sinatra music, and he really got upset with me. Then I started singing New York, New York, and he started running around the house screaming..!!!
Valentina is 15 months.  So far, she still likes Jimmy Buffet and Leon Redbone.  But she like Harry the Bunny too, so we'll see.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #587 on: June 06, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »

Enjoying a bowl of Macbarens Plum Cake. Finally found something I really enjoy, let hope it lasts more than two weeks.

Two weeks?  How many bowls have you already had for that lofty prediction?
this is my first of the plum cake. Had about 1/2 a dozen other blends that I didn't care much for.

What types of blends have they been?  Most Va centric and the majority of VaPers do nothing for me.  Some good flavors now and again, but not enough body or depth to keep my interest for a full bowl.  I much prefer heavier English stuff and generally like the "Scottish" types with a dose of black cav.
just learning, but up till now most taste the same. I'm just starting to see they have different tobaccos not just flavors.

I try to stay away from anything with a topping/flavoring to it.  Aromatics might smell nice, but I tend to find them lacking flavor and prone to biting.  That's just me, of course, being a cigar smoker and all.

But for the ones you've smoked, what tobaccos were in them?  If they were similar blends consisting of primarily the same proportions, that might explain why they all taste the same.  Especially coming from a cigar background where we generally expect the much heavier, fuller flavors (even from a creamy mild-medium like a SL Connie).  Having a touch more perique for extra spice or some extra tangy VAs won't do much to someone used to Esteli ligero, y'know?

Try smoking some like C&Ds Rajah's Court, which is nice Oriental forward, Latakia.  "Light Balkan" I guess would describe that.  Lots of non-cigar style spices and herbal notes to pick up, with enough body to not be watered down.  Compare that to a big latakia blend (Da Vinci I think is 75% latakia) and then to something like Kajun Kake, a fairly high review VaPer.

It would be kinda like jumping from one extreme to another, in a sense, but that might be what you need to get the palate to identify the differences.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #588 on: June 06, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

Yesterday, I told my 2 1/2 year old grandson that he had to start listening to Frank Sinatra music, and he really got upset with me. Then I started singing New York, New York, and he started running around the house screaming..!!!
Valentina is 15 months.  So far, she still likes Jimmy Buffet and Leon Redbone.  But she like Harry the Bunny too, so we'll see.
Grandkids are a mess...!!!  I asked him, "does anyone ever get on your nerves...?"  He said, "yes pawpa, you do...!"

« Reply #589 on: June 06, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

That's pretty good that the tell you when it is bed time.-----TRO-----Unfortunately, they also tell us when it's breakfast time.  And it isn't always when it's our breakfast time.  They have plenty of seeds and pellets, they just want the cover off and some petting and attention.  You have no idea how loud a 1.5 lb and a 2 lb bird can be.
After a week here with hundreds of them nesting in trees just outside the hotel...and waking up together at about 6:30, indeed I do know!   :o
It's refreshing, isn't it?  Our two clowns are Umbrella Cockatoos, which are native to Sumatra.  Australia has several breeds, do you know which ones are outside your hotel?
One or a mixture of Corella species.  I'll get a picture up when I can.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #590 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:31 PM »

[...]

this was Contents   Burley, Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #591 on: June 06, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »

this was Contents   Burley, Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia

Oh, I know.  www.tobaccoreviews.com has all the information on every blend, more or less.

« Reply #592 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »

That's pretty good that the tell you when it is bed time.-----TRO-----Unfortunately, they also tell us when it's breakfast time.  And it isn't always when it's our breakfast time.  They have plenty of seeds and pellets, they just want the cover off and some petting and attention.  You have no idea how loud a 1.5 lb and a 2 lb bird can be.
After a week here with hundreds of them nesting in trees just outside the hotel...and waking up together at about 6:30, indeed I do know!   :o
It's refreshing, isn't it?  Our two clowns are Umbrella Cockatoos, which are native to Sumatra.  Australia has several breeds, do you know which ones are outside your hotel?
One or a mixture of Corella species.  I'll get a picture up when I can.
Australian minahs (different from South American Species) and magpies (different from the European variets) are also very vocal.  I guess the locals "don't hear it" but the sounds here throughout the day are amazing.
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #593 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »

It would be kinda like jumping from one extreme to another, in a sense, but that might be what you need to get the palate to identify the differences.-----Will-----Did you hit on those Espinosa Hababos?  I checked the 20% off deal, and most everything I like is not included.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #594 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:50 PM »

That's pretty good that the tell you when it is bed time.-----TRO-----Unfortunately, they also tell us when it's breakfast time.  And it isn't always when it's our breakfast time.  They have plenty of seeds and pellets, they just want the cover off and some petting and attention.  You have no idea how loud a 1.5 lb and a 2 lb bird can be.
Petey weights about an ounce and he can get noisey....  I couldn't imagine a 1 to 2 lb bird...
Take my word for it, they can be deafening.  We're working on training them not to screech.  Jackie isn't too bad, it's Ralphie.  But it's mating season, so it's to be expected.  Jackie isn't old enough to mate yet, so we gave Ralphie a little teddy bear, and he humps the bear.
Did you have to glue some feathers onto the bear...? :)
Now, that there is funny.  ;)
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #595 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »

One or a mixture of Corella species.  I'll get a picture up when I can.-----NJD-----The Australian lorakeets are gorgeous, but the last thing I need is another bird.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/6/2014
« Reply #596 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »

It would be kinda like jumping from one extreme to another, in a sense, but that might be what you need to get the palate to identify the differences.-----Will-----Did you hit on those Espinosa Hababos?  I checked the 20% off deal, and most everything I like is not included.

Not yet, KC. The Espinosa counts towards the 20%, though.

I did grab 30 DPG Blue toros from the Jam, though.  Running low on them and $32 for a 10 pack is as good as I've seen on them in a long time.

There wasn't too much else that looked really good with the deal.  Antanos, Nica Rusticas (on backorder, but it works), the LGC Rabitos, some other jam deals (EPC Clubs, Illusione lanceros), but not much.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #597 on: June 06, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »

Yesterday, I told my 2 1/2 year old grandson that he had to start listening to Frank Sinatra music, and he really got upset with me. Then I started singing New York, New York, and he started running around the house screaming..!!!
Stop torturing that kid, BD.  Try some Perry Como.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #598 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »

That's pretty good that the tell you when it is bed time.-----TRO-----Unfortunately, they also tell us when it's breakfast time.  And it isn't always when it's our breakfast time.  They have plenty of seeds and pellets, they just want the cover off and some petting and attention.  You have no idea how loud a 1.5 lb and a 2 lb bird can be.
After a week here with hundreds of them nesting in trees just outside the hotel...and waking up together at about 6:30, indeed I do know!   :o
It's refreshing, isn't it?  Our two clowns are Umbrella Cockatoos, which are native to Sumatra.  Australia has several breeds, do you know which ones are outside your hotel?
One or a mixture of Corella species.  I'll get a picture up when I can.
Is that the white breasted bird in your avi, NJD?
She looks familiar, what is her name?
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #599 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »

One or a mixture of Corella species.  I'll get a picture up when I can.-----NJD-----The Australian lorakeets are gorgeous, but the last thing I need is another bird.
KC, I love the bird talk, but I need someone to put a cover over my cage ... my eyes are drooping ... Big day tomorrow, so I'm going to say goodnight, and Congrats ahead of time, only 4 more posts for you to hit JR status.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42