Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1954, the Japanese commercial ferry Toya Maru sank during a typhoon in the Tsugaru Strait, claiming more than 1,150 lives.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

1960, the first-ever debate between presidential nominees took place in Chicago as Democrat John F. Kennedy and Republican Richard M. Nixon faced off before a national TV audience.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1964, the situation comedy "Gilligan's Island" premiered on CBS-TV.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

1986, William H. Rehnquist was sworn in as the 16th chief justice of the United States, while Antonin Scalia joined the Supreme Court as its 103rd member.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1990, the Motion Picture Association of America announced it had created a new rating, NC-17, to replace the X rating.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1991, four men and four women began a two-year stay inside a sealed-off structure in Oracle, Arizona, called Biosphere 2. (They emerged from Biosphere on this date in 1993.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

years ago: Hurricane Jeanne struck near Stuart, Florida, with 120 mph winds, resulting in five U.S. deaths. Pakistani forces killed Amjad Hussain Farooqi (AHM'-jed hoo-SAYN' fuh-ROO-kee), a suspected top al-Qaida operative wanted for his alleged role in the 2002 kidnapping and beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. Israel assassinated Izz Eldine Subhi Sheik Khalil, a Palestinian militant from Hamas, with a car bomb in Damascus, Syria.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Five years ago: Film director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police on an international warrant as he arrived in Zurich to receive a lifetime achievement award from a film festival. (Polanski had fled the U.S. in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl. Polanski spent two months in a Swiss jail and served seven months of house arrest before Switzerland's government decided against extraditing him to the United States.) Pope Benedict XVI began a three-day pilgrimage to the Czech Republic.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

One year ago: It was revealed that some workers at the National Security Agency had misused the government's secret surveillance systems at least 12 times over the previous decade, including instances where they spied on spouses, boyfriends or girlfriends, according to embarrassing new details disclosed by the agency's inspector general. The U.S. and its international partners emerged from a U.N. meeting with Iran declaring a "window of opportunity" had opened to peacefully settle their nuclear standoff. Bud Selig announced plans to retire as baseball commissioner in January 2015.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Today's Birthdays: Retired baseball All-Star Bobby Shantz is 89. Actor Philip Bosco is 84. Actress Donna Douglas is 82. Actor Richard Herd is 82. South African nationalist Winnie Madikizela-Mandela is 78. Country singer David Frizzell is 73. Actor Kent McCord is 72. Television host Anne Robinson is 70. Singer Bryan Ferry is 69. Actress Mary Beth Hurt is 68. Singer Lynn Anderson is 67. Singer Olivia Newton-John is 66. Actor James Keane is 62. Rock singer-musician Cesar Rosas (Los Lobos) is 60. Country singer Carlene Carter is 59. Actress Linda Hamilton is 58. Country singer Doug Supernaw is 54. Rhythm-and-blues singer Cindy Herron (En Vogue) is 53. Actress Melissa Sue Anderson is 52. Actor Patrick Bristow is 52. Rock musician Al Pitrelli is 52. Singer Tracey Thorn (Everything But The Girl) is 52. TV personality Jillian Barberie is 48. Contemporary Christian guitarist Jody Davis (Newsboys) is 47. Actor Jim Caviezel (kuh-VEE'-zuhl) is 46. Actor Ben Shenkman is 46. Singer Shawn Stockman (Boyz II Men) is 42. Jazz musician Nicholas Payton is 41. Actor Mark Famiglietti (fah-mihl-YEH'-tee) is 35. Singer-actress Christina Milian (MIHL'-ee-ahn) is 33. Tennis player Serena Williams is 33.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Thought for Today: "A child educated only at school is an uneducated child." — George Santayana, American philosopher (born 1863, died this date in 1952).

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Top Ten Country Western Songs
-------------------------

10. I Hate Every Bone In Her Body But Mine

9. I Ain't Never Gone To Bed With an Ugly Woman But I've Woke
Up With A Few

8. If The Phone Don't Ring, You'll Know It's Me

7. I've Missed You, But My Aim's Improvin'

6. Wouldn't Take Her To A Dogfight 'Cause I'm Scared
She'd Win

5. I'm So Miserable Without You It's Like You're Still Here

4. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend And I Miss Him

3. She Took My Ring and Gave Me the Finger

2. She's Lookin' Better with Every Beer

And the Number One Country & Western song is...

1. It's Hard To Kiss The Lips At Night That Chewed
My Ass All Day
Logged

IrascibleOldFool

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Almost time for a triple sheesh.

Almost time for a triple sheesh.
No don't triple Sheesh us yet I am here.  Good Morning LSU!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21