Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »

Today's Highlights in History:

On June 4, 1944, during World War II, U-505, a German submarine, was captured by a U.S. Navy task group in the south Atlantic; it was the first such capture of an enemy vessel at sea by the U.S. Navy since the War of 1812. The U.S. Fifth Army began liberating Rome.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 02:41:58 AM »

In 1919, Congress approved the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing citizens the right to vote regardless of their gender and sent it to the states for ratification.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 02:42:36 AM »

In 1939, the German ocean liner MS St. Louis, carrying more than 900 Jewish refugees from Germany, was turned away from the Florida coast by U.S. officials.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:20 AM »

In 1940, during World War II, the Allied military evacuation of more than 338,000 troops from Dunkirk, France, ended.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »

In 1942, the World War II Battle of Midway began, resulting in a decisive American victory against Japan and marking the turning point of the war in the Pacific.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:56 AM »

In 1972, a jury in San Jose, California, acquitted radical activist Angela Davis of murder and kidnapping for her alleged connection to a deadly courthouse shootout in Marin County in 1970.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »

In 1986, Jonathan Jay Pollard, a former Navy intelligence analyst, pleaded guilty in Washington to conspiring to deliver information related to the national defense to a foreign government, specifically Israel. (He is serving a life prison term.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »

In 1989, a gas explosion in the Soviet Union engulfed two passing trains, killing 575.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »

In 1998, a federal judge sentenced Terry Nichols to life in prison for his role in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:47 AM »

Ten years ago: A powerful bomb blast ripped through a crowded outdoor market in central Russia, killing at least 11 people. President George W. Bush nominated former Missouri Sen. John Danforth to be America's ambassador to the United Nations. Muffler shop owner Marvin Heemeyer, angry after losing a zoning dispute, went on a rampage in Granby, Colorado, using a customized armor-plated bulldozer to knock down or damage nine buildings before shooting himself to death.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »

Five years ago: Speaking at Cairo University, President Barack Obama called for a "new beginning between the United States and Muslims" and said together, they could confront violent extremism across the globe. Actor David Carradine, 72, was found dead in a Bangkok, Thailand, hotel room.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:16 AM »

One year ago: Already heavily criticized for targeting conservative groups, the Internal Revenue Service suffered another blow as new details emerged in a report about senior officials enjoying luxury hotel rooms, free drinks and food at a $4.1 million training conference. Ohio State University President Gordon Gee announced his retirement after he came under fire for joking about "those damn Catholics" at Notre Dame and poking fun at the academic quality of other schools. France said it had confirmed that nerve gas was used "multiple times in a localized way" in Syria. Joey Covington, 67, a former Jefferson Airplane drummer who co-wrote several of the group's songs, died in a car crash in Palm Springs, California.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 02:50:06 AM »

[...]

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:11 AM »

Einstein's Speech
-------------------------

When Albert Einstein was making the rounds of the speaker's circuit, he usually found himself eagerly longing to get back to his laboratory work.
One night as they were driving to yet another dinner, Einstein mentioned to his chauffeur (a man who somewhat resembled Einstein in looks & manner) that he was tired of speechmaking.

"I have an idea, boss," his chauffeur said. "I've heard you give this speech so many times, I'll bet I could give it for you."

Einstein laughed loudly and said, "Why not? Let's do it!"

When they arrived at the dinner, Einstein donned the chauffeur's cap and jacket and sat in the back of the room. The chauffeur gave a beautiful rendition of Einstein's speech and even answered a few questions expertly.

Then a supremely pompous professor asked an extremely esoteric question about antimatter formation, digressing here and there to let everyone in the audience know that he was nobody's fool.

Without missing a beat, the chauffeur fixed the professor with a steely stare and said, "Sir, the answer to that question is so simple that I will let my chauffeur, who is sitting in the back, answer it for me."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/4/2014
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:07 AM »

Einstein's Speech

[...]

what can I say, old habits are hard to break.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39