Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »

In 1922, Irish revolutionary Michael Collins was shot to death, apparently by Irish Republican Army members opposed to the Anglo-Irish Treaty that Collins had co-signed.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45:06 AM »

In 1932, the British Broadcasting Corp. conducted its first experimental television broadcast, using a 30-line mechanical system.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45:35 AM »

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Vice President Richard Nixon were nominated for second terms in office by the Republican National Convention in San Francisco.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45:59 AM »

In 1962, French President Charles de Gaulle survived an attempt on his life in suburban Paris.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 02:46:27 AM »

In 1968, Pope Paul VI arrived in Bogota, Colombia, for the start of the first papal visit to South America.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 02:46:59 AM »

In 1972, President Richard Nixon was nominated for a second term of office by the Republican National Convention in Miami Beach. John Wojtowicz (WAHT'-uh-witz) and Salvatore Naturile took seven employees hostage at a Chase Manhattan Bank branch in Brooklyn, New York, during a botched robbery; the siege, which ended with Wojtowicz's arrest and Naturile's killing by the FBI, inspired the 1975 movie "Dog Day Afternoon."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »

In 1989, Black Panthers co-founder Huey P. Newton was shot to death in Oakland, California. (Gunman Tyrone Robinson was later sentenced to 32 years to life in prison.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »

Ten years ago: As shocked spectators watched, armed thieves stole one of four versions of the Edvard Munch (moongk) masterpiece "The Scream" and a second Munch painting, "Madonna," from the Munch museum in Oslo, Norway. (The paintings, visibly damaged, were recovered in August 2006; three men were convicted in connection with the theft and sentenced to prison.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »

Five years ago: Dozens of wildfires broke out across Greece, torching olive groves, cutting off villages and sending residents fleeing as one of the largest blazes swept perilously close to the capital's northern suburbs.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 02:49:55 AM »

One year ago: Egypt's ousted leader Hosni Mubarak was released from prison and transported to a military hospital in a Cairo suburb to be held under house arrest. A day after being sentenced to up to 35 years in prison for leaking secrets, Army Pfc. Bradley Manning, in a statement to NBC's "Today" show, announced he intended to live as a woman named Chelsea and undergo hormone treatment. A mysterious glitch halted trading on the Nasdaq for three hours.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:32 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Heart surgeon Dr. Denton Cooley is 94. Broadcast journalist Morton Dean is 79. Author Annie Proulx (proo) is 79. Baseball Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski is 75. Actress Valerie Harper is 75. Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells is 73. Writer-producer David Chase is 69. CBS newsman Steve Kroft is 69. Actress Cindy Williams is 67. Pop musician David Marks is 66. International Swimming Hall of Famer Diana Nyad is 65. Baseball Hall of Famer Paul Molitor is 58. Country singer Holly Dunn is 57. Rock musician Vernon Reid is 56. Country singer Ricky Lynn Gregg is 55. Country singer Collin Raye is 54. Actress Regina Taylor is 54. Rock singer Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears) is 53. Rock musician Debbi Peterson (The Bangles) is 53. Rock musician Gary Lee Conner (Screaming Trees) is 52. Singer Tori Amos is 51. Country singer Mila Mason is 51. Rhythm-and-blues musician James DeBarge is 51. International Tennis Hall of Famer Mats Wilander is 50. Rapper GZA (JIHZ'-ah)/The Genius is 48. Actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (ah-day-WAH'-lay ah-kih-NOY'-yay ah-BAH'-jay) is 47. Actor Ty Burrell is 47. Celebrity chef Giada DeLaurentiis is 44. Actress Melinda Page Hamilton (TV: "Devious Maids") is 43. Actor Rick Yune is 43. Rock musician Paul Doucette (Matchbox Twenty) is 42. Rap-reggae singer Beenie Man is 41. Singer Howie Dorough (Backstreet Boys) is 41. Comedian-actress Kristen Wiig is 41. Actress Jenna Leigh Green is 40. Rock musician Bo Koster is 40. Rock musician Dean Back (Theory of a Deadman) is 39. Rock musician Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan) is 36. Actor Brandon Adams is 35. Actress Aya Sumika is 34.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:50 AM »

Thought for Today: "Life does not give itself to one who tries to keep all its advantages at once. I have often thought morality may perhaps consist solely in the courage of making a choice." — Leon Blum, French statesman (1872-1950).

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 02:52:50 AM »

Honest
-------------------------

An investment counselor decided to go out on her own. She was shrewd and diligent, so business kept coming in, and pretty soon she realized that she needed an in-house counsel. She began to interview young lawyers.

"As I'm sure you can understand," she started off with one of the first applicants, "in a business like this, our personal integrity must be beyond question." She leaned forward. "Mr. Peterson, are you an honest lawyer?"

"Honest?" replied the job prospect. "Let me tell you something about honest. Why, I'm so honest that my father lent me $15,000 for my education, and I paid back every penny the minute I tried my very first case."

"Impressive. And what sort of case was that?"

The lawyer squirmed in his seat and admitted, "He sued me for the money."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:32 AM »

 5 Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne Epicure
          10/39.50
 4 Carlos Torano Exodus Gold 1959 Robusto
         10/32.50
 3 La Aurora Preferidos Maduro
          5/25.00
 2 Romeo y Julieta Vintage
         10/39.99
 1 Don Pepin Garcia Blue
          5/22.50
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/22/2014
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 03:00:44 AM »

Time to head to work guys, enjoy your day.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14